Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New Lego Exclusives: UCS R2D2 & B-wing!

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: New Lego Exclusives: UCS R2D2 & B-wing!

Postby Inzane » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:13 am

Blacknight wrote:In contrast there's many shots of A-wings + their pilots dogfighting, going into the death star, and of course the iconic attack on the Executor.

I agree on those points. But that doesn't mean the ship itself is necessarily iconic. As I said earlier, the a-wing design is very generic and derivitive. Go to just about any sci-fi franchise, whether its comics, tv, movies, video games, toys, artwork, etc. and chances are you'll see ships very similar looking to the a-wing.

Of ALL the ship designs in the OT, the a-wing is probably the least likely for a non-star wars fan to instantly recognize as "oh, that's a ship from star wars". Tie Fighter, definitely. X-Wing yes. Falcon - yes. etc.
Inzane

Postby Nimrod6134 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:58 am

I wonder how the stickers on this rendition of the Sopwith Camel will hold up? I know on my model they curled around the edges, cracked after a short period of time and then ultimately fell apart. They didn't seem to be of the same material as any other stickers I can recall getting in a set.
Nimrod6134

Postby onions » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:31 am

the stickers were terrible. same thing happened to mine and once you got those stickers on your skin they were hard to get off. what kind of sticker stops sticking to plastic, cracks into tiny shards, and then sticks to your skin like a parasite? sheesh. sopwith camel, red baron, silver champion, and countless others, all with crappy stickers.

i hope the ones in use today fare better in the long run.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Solo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:52 pm

Spoiler alert:
Spoiler: show
They won't.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby cas » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:01 pm

Ugh, those stickers, don't remind me. Every single time I touch or move the Red Baron, the Sopwith Camel, or the first Republic Gunship, I end up with those flecks on my fingertips. They're peeling and cracking so bad right now all I can do is not touch them.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:48 pm

I'm a bit baffled by this sticker talk. Does environment play a big role? I ask because I have never had the slightest problem with stickers peeling or cracking on any of my LEGO sets. Am I just insanely lucky, or does the climate make some kind of radical difference?
Mister Ed

Postby Veynom » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:44 pm

fallenangel327 wrote:Why the expectation of minifigures? Unless this B-wing is scaled to minifigures, we're unlikely to get any with this set. The B-wing may be a large ship, but I don't think it's large enough to justify a 10XXX number unless it was larger than minifigure scale.

You're forgetting the UCS Lambda shuttle coming with 5 minifigs here.
Or the Death Star, or the TIE Fighter collection with 4 minifigures...
--
Veynom
*** This post is written on 100% recyclable electrons. ***
My MOC Page - http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/68257
Star Wars Combine Online Game - http://www.swcombine.com
Veynom

Postby Bellicose » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:53 pm

I've had stickers peeling and wilting back up, but that could have been from humidity/living in Hawaii.
Bellicose

Postby cas » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:09 pm

Mine have been kept in a limited sun, cool, low humidity environment. To reiterate, the only sets I have that show peeling and cracking stickers are the Red Baron, Sopwith Camel, and Republic Gunship (7163). These sets have been displayed next to or in the same room as other sets from the same time frame and with plenty of stickers (one thing I noticed about these three sets: their sticker sheets were larger than most typical sticker sheets). As far as I can tell, the material used for these particular stickers is noticeably different than that in other sets. I haven't had any other problems at all except very recently with the new Naboo Starfighter, but this is a different issue (stickers not sticking very well).
cas
Staff Writer

Postby fallenangel327 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:09 pm

Veynom wrote:
fallenangel327 wrote:Why the expectation of minifigures? Unless this B-wing is scaled to minifigures, we're unlikely to get any with this set. The B-wing may be a large ship, but I don't think it's large enough to justify a 10XXX number unless it was larger than minifigure scale.

*sigh* The Lambda shuttle was certainly large enough to justify a 10XXX number, but it was scaled to minifigures, which made it sensible to throw some in. 10131 contained several vehicles at minifigure scale and 10188 was a playset and therefore had to include minifigures. I expect 10227 to be something along the lines of 7191 and 7181 - considerably larger than minifigure scale and thus not requiring any 'figs.
fallenangel327

Postby JamesBenjamin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:43 am

To answer Onions' post earlier: no, no prices. I posted cut & pasted verbatim what their post was, in the first post of this thread.
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:56 am

cas wrote:Mine have been kept in a limited sun, cool, low humidity environment. To reiterate, the only sets I have that show peeling and cracking stickers are the Red Baron, Sopwith Camel, and Republic Gunship (7163).

Interesting. Of those three, the only one I have is the original Gunship. Is it possible that they changed the stickers at some point during the run? Because mine are perfectly fine.
Mister Ed

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:59 am

fallenangel327 wrote:
Veynom wrote:

*sigh* The Lambda shuttle was certainly large enough to justify a 10XXX number, but it was scaled to minifigures, which made it sensible to throw some in. 10131 contained several vehicles at minifigure scale and 10188 was a playset and therefore had to include minifigures. I expect 10227 to be something along the lines of 7191 and 7181 - considerably larger than minifigure scale and thus not requiring any 'figs.

Not requiring, no. Yet the Super Star Destroyer set, which is very much not to minifigure scale, AND is not a playset, comes with several figures. It seems to be LEGOs way, recently, of trying to sell people on a higher price point. So we shall see...
Mister Ed

Postby lemons » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:54 am

I'm excited about the b-wing as well. definitely a cool looking ship. the sopwith camel should be interesting as well. i'm glad lego is getting into war models :P
“You don’t need to see his identification … These aren’t the droids you’re looking for … He can go about his business … Move along.”

LEGO Star Wars blog.
lemons

Postby fallenangel327 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:29 am

lemons wrote:I'm excited about the b-wing as well. definitely a cool looking ship. the sopwith camel should be interesting as well. i'm glad lego is getting into war models :P

This has been around for a while now. ;)

More information from Eurobricks:

Sir von Lego wrote:Today, I talked to the LEGO Service and got the following information:

10225 R2-D2:

Elements: 2127
Release Date: March 2012
Price: 149.99 GBP

10224 Town Hall (not Star Wars, but also exclusive):

Elements: 2766
Release Date: March 2012
Price: 149.99 GBP

10226 Sopwith Camel (not Star Wars, but also exclusive):

Elements: 883
Release Date: June 2012
Price: 84.99 GBP

No sign of the 10227 B-wing yet, but it is also in the system, but no information.
I hope you enjoy the news.

For R2-D2 and Town Hall, it sounds FANTASTIC!!!

greetings Hendrik
fallenangel327

Postby Ewok » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:58 pm

I've always felt the 6208 B-Wing is as close to minifig scale as you'd ever want - if you do the maths based on canon sizes it seems about right. Its likely the UCS model is going to be the same as the existing X-Wing/Snowspeeder/Y-Wing scale of model.

Personally I wish TLG would just pick a scale and build all the models along those lines - the minifig scale UCS Falcon and Shuttle are amazing together.
Ewok

Postby naugem » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:03 pm

The B-Wing has always been one of my favorite Star Wars ships, probably because of it's oddness.
I hope they do it justice.
naugem

Postby fallenangel327 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:36 pm

Ewok wrote:I've always felt the 6208 B-Wing is as close to minifig scale as you'd ever want - if you do the maths based on canon sizes it seems about right.

Going off the ludicrous canon length of 16.9m (closer to the ship's height more than anything else), 6208 is far, far too small. But even without that fabricated dimension, it’s plain to see that the model needs to be a bit bigger. Just compare the cockpits:

Overall size comparison with the studio model:

RenegadeClone's rendition appears closer to doing the size justice:

Its likely the UCS model is going to be the same as the existing X-Wing/Snowspeeder/Y-Wing scale of model.

Probably not. Aside from the two mentioned below, none of the UCS sets are to scale with each other (even 10175, which uses the same canopy piece as 7181, is probably too large – just look at the crazy proportions). 10227 is bound to have its own special scale, probably of a similar size to an existing UCS B-wing like Gareth’s or OceanBlue’s.

Personally I wish TLG would just pick a scale and build all the models along those lines - the minifig scale UCS Falcon and Shuttle are amazing together.

I think that may have been the original intention, since 7191 and 7181 were in fact built to the same 1:28 scale.
fallenangel327

Postby Blacknight » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:00 am

I'm another one who has never had any problems with their first gunship stickers. Even though, lots of stickers on other (mainly non-Lego) toys have dried up and started to peel over the years so clearly I don't live in perfect environmental conditions either.
Blacknight

Postby Cradok » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:23 pm

Blacknight wrote:
Inzane wrote:The B-Wing is much more unique and striking to look at, and probably more memorable from watching ROTJ.

The B-Wing is only onscreen in ROTJ for literally 5 seconds, and has no combat scenes or shots of the pilots in their fighters. In contrast there's many shots of A-wings + their pilots dogfighting, going into the death star, and of course the iconic attack on the Executor. One can debate which design is more visually interesting, but I doubt few people in 1983 even noticed the B-wing in the movie - the EU has a way of warping our memory of the role played by some spacecraft.

I suspect it's probably that shot of B-Wings flying away from the destruction of a bizarely unnamed ImpStar-II makes the B-Wing much more memorable than it would otherwise be.

Personally I think the B-wing is a really neat but strange fighter (what's the point again of a gyroscope cockpit in space where there's no up and down?).

It was to give pilots combat and maneuverability options.
Cradok

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars