Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Send A Card, Give A Child A Toy! [PLEASE READ!]

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Send A Card, Give A Child A Toy! [PLEASE READ!]

Postby fatflash1423 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:21 am

lol... I don't know what else to say after sending several hundred. At least I tried for a good cause.
fatflash1423

Postby Astrote713 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:33 am

It's working fine for me, but there does seem to be a good delay. I sent one to myself, and 7 minutes later I still don't have it. Oh, and I lol'd at the picture Morgan19. :lol:
Astrote713

Postby natespizer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:39 am

I sent 5 to myself yesterday at 4pm and i received them this morning at 6:30 am.

Looks like the site is back up:
Toys Given!

The last message I sent yesterday and I clicked on this morning had an id of 263504 so there is a good chance the counter on the main site is over 100,000 off. or more people need to open and click the links haha.

Site is back down :( I was able to send about 100 while it was up.
natespizer

Postby Darth Mitz » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:48 am

I've just had a lot of "failed delivery reports" come back - the e-mails are all saying "The user you are trying to contact is receiving mail at a rate that prevents additional messages from being delivered".

anyone else having problems?
Mitz
Darth Mitz

Postby atxdad » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:02 am

I'm seeing the same "failed delivery" reports. The error makes me think the problem is on the FBTB receiving side. The specific error message to assist in debugging:

450-4.2.1 The user you are trying to contact is receiving mail at a rate that
450-4.2.1 prevents additional messages from being delivered. Please resend your
450-4.2.1 message at a later time. If the user is able to receive mail at that
450-4.2.1 time, your message will be delivered.
atxdad

Postby doodlebird » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:54 am

i'm getting the same reports... which i can only imagine means that the plan is working, that fbtb is receiving an insane amount of mail, and that's the point, right? my email is also telling me that it will continue to attempt to send the email, so it'll go through eventually, i hope. hooray for ace.
doodlebird

Postby cas » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:03 pm

As I said in the other thread, it appears to be working again with a new line for entering random letters and numbers, annoying, but probably designed to slow down the process.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby natespizer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Ace, any reports from your end? How many total have you received? Is your email server having any issues?
natespizer

Postby agrahmann » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:09 pm

cas is definitely right: They've added that check-point of having to type in the random numbers and letters. The front page will need to be updated to reflect the new step - no more just hitting the "back" button.
agrahmann

Postby natespizer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:28 pm

The back button hasn't worked for me for a few days unfortunately :(

the good thing though is that the counter is moving again:
Toys Given!
natespizer

Postby Leo-J » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:19 pm

LMFAO!

1. I got those failed mail delivery messages >8(

2. The yoda site now has captcha so you cannot back button and send zillions of spam, er, emails. :lol:
Leo-J

Postby Epic Emperor » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:20 pm

The back button still works for me, the random letters/numbers stay the same.
Epic Emperor

Postby goshe7 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:36 pm

Epic Emperor wrote:The back button still works for me, the random letters/numbers stay the same.

Same here. Gotta love that poor implementation.

Now, I don't want to disadvantage myself in this competition for a chrome C-3PO I covet. But I do want to hit help on this good cause.

1. No mouse clicks needed. After the first submissin, just hit "backspace" instead of the back button and then "enter" to resubmit (IE browser)
2. Now take #1 and look into an automated keystroke program. It takes some time to get the delays set robustly... But I may or may not have had my PC sending out cards for 6 hours last night.

Enjoy! :)

And thanks to FBTB for coordinating and facilitating this response to a good cause.
goshe7

Postby goshe7 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:37 pm

Epic Emperor wrote:The back button still works for me, the random letters/numbers stay the same.

And I forgot...

#3 (which really should be #1) - Disable the flash add-on in IE. Page loads much quicker without it.
goshe7

Postby atxdad » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:51 pm

With the new captcha check in place, I see that hitting SEND, BACK, SEND gives me a second confirmation message 'Your message was sent'. The captcha code did not change. I also see that when I enter an incorrect captcha, no error message is shown, no send confirmation is given, and the form fields reset to defaults.
atxdad

Postby GroudonMan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:18 pm

After checking my spam inbox I too have discovered a large amount of undeliverable mail. However, I have also discovered that these returned emails include the greeting card link! If they never arrive at Ace's inbox we can click on those links! ;) Most recent ID I have seen is at about 375k, good work everyone!
GroudonMan

Postby onions » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:18 pm

we should be able to break 300k+ today if all goes well.

the best way to test to see if the send/back/send method still works is to test it on your own account.

you can also forward those undeliverable messages to the same address.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby onions » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:29 pm

and fyi, i have google handling fbtb's email. so far, i haven't noticed any significant gaps in the the time stamps of the emails i've received. if anything, the amount of emails per minute seem to vary. this story got picked up on slickdeals and dealnews so i'm sure that's part of the reason.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Altair1371 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:09 pm

atxdad wrote:With the new captcha check in place, I see that hitting SEND, BACK, SEND gives me a second confirmation message 'Your message was sent'. The captcha code did not change. I also see that when I enter an incorrect captcha, no error message is shown, no send confirmation is given, and the form fields reset to defaults.

That's funny! It seems that they don't exactly have the best security on that site. Kinda reminds me of this:

http://consumerist.com/2011/06/how-hackers-stole-200000-citi-accounts-by-exploiting-basic-browser-vulnerability.html
Altair1371

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars