Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

For all you Americans

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

For all you Americans

Postby jomandybri » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:11 am

Hey all,
As you may or may not know, I 'm an Aussie. I finished school a little while back, so I've decided to go for a trip with a couple of mates over to America!! We're going in the late July - early September period of 2012. Yes, that means Celebration VI!! Unfortunately we just miss ComicCon, but that's how the dates have fallen. So far, we'll be heading around California, Florida, New York, Washington DC. So my question is, what should I be doing while I am over? I thought it would be awesome to get some friendly local FBTB opinions on this matter. Thanks a ton for your help!!
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Re: For all you Americans

Postby Chief » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:18 am

jomandybri wrote:So far, we'll be heading around California, Florida, New York, Washington DC.

So.. you're only visiting Legoland while you're here? :)
Chief

Postby Solo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:17 am

When you land in California make sure you wind up at an In N Out Burger, and order one animal style. You can thank me later.

Other than that, what parts of said states will you be visiting?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby jomandybri » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:01 pm

Legoland is most certainly a priority! :D And Don, we'll be heading (again, so far) to San Diego, Los Angeles, San Fransisco, NYC, Miami, Orlando... anywhere else worth seeing that's not too far? Plans could change based on advice, so let me know if there's anyhing really worth seeing!! We were contemplating breaking into Skywalker Ranch and watching Episode I in 3D before it is released maybe? ;)
jomandybri

Postby onions » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:44 pm

are you looking for tourist attractions?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby jomandybri » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Yeah- either or, I guess. Just things that are enjoyable that I can use my time doing while I am overseas. So touristy stuff, or more local enjoyable things (if you guys have any suggestions about that?). Thanks!!
jomandybri

Postby onions » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:45 am

well there's always the tourist attractions, hollywood, disneyland, legoland (in carlsbad near san diego), universal studios, etc. griffith observatory in los angeles, fisherman's wharf in san francisco. there's also apple's headquarters in cupertino which is just outside of sf. i second don's recommendation about hitting up an in'n'out burger. if you find yourself near downtown l.a. there's a restaurant called philippe's that invented the french dip sandwich. if you want fine dining hit up a hillstone or houston's restaurant. there's a lot to do, these are just the things that came to mind. oh, santa monica pier along with third street promenade right near it. there's a restaurant at the top of the pier called 'lobster'. nice eats there too.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby jomandybri » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:01 am

Thanks for that onions! There's a few things there to keep me occupied for a while :) Any other suggestions anyone??
jomandybri

Postby Mofo Jones » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:18 pm

If you're hitting DC, make sure to get to the Air and Space Museum.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby alldarker » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:21 am

I live in Europe, but the US is my favorite holiday destination.
Are you renting a car in each city, or are you just staying in the cities themselves with no personal transport? Make a huge difference in your ability to see stuff. If you do rent cars, if you're going to Florida, make sure you go all the way down to Key West: coolest, loosest and most fun town in the USA! When we're in FL, it's the highlight of our trip (more fun than any amusement park)! Miami is nice too, though.

For the South West, I'd definitely suggest a couple of the National Parks, especially Joshua Tree and Grand Canyon, and perhaps Bryce and Zion which are every bit as beautiful. Death Valley and Monument Valley are awesome too. And a visit to Las Vegas is always a lot of fun!

For the North West, we did a road trip through the New England area last year, driving up the Hudson to see the fall foliage, and then heading down the coast again to NYC. Highly recommended, and we really enjoyed Vermont especially. New York City: EVERYTHING is cool in NYC (although Lego is expensive!).

BTW, that's a pretty ambitious trip you guys are taking in one go... How long will you be staying in the US?
alldarker

Postby Flynn » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:33 pm

While you're in NYC, see if you can scrape together enough money for orchestra seats to a Broadway show. And not something like Phantom or Mamma Mia (They've had more than their share of money by now, and aren't all that fantastic anyways), no, I'm talking about:

It's a magnificent show, and the current revival is getting wonderful reviews. It might not still be running by the time you're headed there, but given how much it's selling out, I highly doubt they'll be ending it soon. And if you preorder tickets far enough in advance, you should be getting pretty danged good seats.

And trust me- if you're going to see one Broadway show, make it a Sondheim.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Athos » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:43 am

If you are able, try to check out some of the National Parks. Yosemite in California is one of the most popular parks in the Country. Joshua Tree and Death Valley are also in Southern California. Southern Utah, if you are in that area (I'm not sure how you are getting from California to New York), has some spectacular national parks too.

I've never been to Florida or New York. In Washington DC, check out Arlington and the Smithsonian (there are a bunch of museums, so you can pick which interests you most, Air & Space is very popular). Make sure you get tickets to go up in the Washington Monument early; you can reserve them online. Check out the monuments (Lincoln, Jefferson, Vietnam, etc.) on the mall too. The National Zoo is pretty nice too and they have Pandas, if you haven't seen one before. The White House was a pretty dull tour and took a lot of time messing with security. Capitol building is good. Supreme Court would be cool, if you could go when they were having court; it was pretty dull (even for a lawyer) when it wasn't in session. I'd plan for a day of just walking around the mall/Smithsonian area.

Steve
Athos

Postby cas » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:24 pm

Athos wrote:Make sure you get tickets to go up in the Washington Monument early

Unfortunately, it's still closed and I don't believe it has a reopening date yet.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Rook » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:27 pm

List of things to do:

DC (I lived in MD, VA, & DC for about 9 years):
1. Air Space Museum Imax showing are excellent and nice way to relax.
2. Take pictures by the Washington Monument, White House, and Capital Building (Take the Capital Building tour if you have time.)
3. Lincoln Memorial (There is no greater iconic memorial personally on USA soil without him, we would not be America.)
4. If you have time. Go to Arlington Cemetery, Vietnam Memorial, Jefferson Memorial.

Florida (Travelled there several times):
1. Orland? If you’re in Orlando do the usual tourist stuff and check of the Lego store. I hear it's the largest according to square footage but it looked to have about the same content for sale as most stores to me :x , just more of it.

California (Went there twice love both times, I'm assuming you'll be in SoCal?):
1. Obvious is Legoland.
2. Yosemite if you have the time. And Redwood National Park but you'll need an extra three to four days to drive up and back unless you doing a big loop around the country by car, or have plenty of money for flights. Same about south eastern loop out to the Grand Canyon.
3. Drive over to Las Vegas and stay one night. Lock all you credit cards in a locker in SoCal. Take $500-2000 cash and have good time. Fill up you tank with gas when you arrive so you have an easy exit plan. :lol:

Finally NYC (Never lived there, travelled there often):
1. Get a metro pass and use the crap out of it. Time Sq. & Ground zero are both a must.
2. Check out the Empire State Building for kicks and wiggles even though it's tiny. It's iconic NYC. There's a nice Korean restaurant on the same block that is excellent for lunch.
3. Go see the Statue of Liberty, thanks France she's pretty.
4. Go to the night club district if you're old enough and enjoy it. Nothing like NYC night life, don’t get me wrong: London, Ibiza, Miami, Vegas, DC, LA, Tokyo, Rio all have very lovely lovely lovely night life but NYC is NYC, it has its own flavor and style that is unique and well worth the libations. Nothing like several inches of snow, camels, and giant disco balls. XD

PS: If you want to see the "Real America" go to Lincoln, NE and watch a Cornhuskers game. ;)
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby Mofo Jones » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:14 am

Rook wrote:List of things to do:

PS: If you want to see the "Real America" go to Lincoln, NE and watch a Cornhuskers game. ;)

As someone who grew up in Lincoln, NE, QFT!!! Sea of red-clad football fans...most of them are very nice to the fans of the visiting team. There aren't any major league pro sports in the immediate area, so the Cornhuskers are very popular - sold out every home game since 1962 - the NCAA record. Cornhusker fans are simultaneously the team's greatest supporters and most vocal critics. It's odd, but it works.

Also, Lake Tahoe (straddles the border between California/Nevada, probably a 2.5-3 hr drive from San Francisco) is well worth a visit. Plenty of things to do year-round.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Rook » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:57 am

Yeah as Mofo pointed out there is nothing for pro sports in the state. So high school games are like the NFL and a Huskers game is like World Cup [Soccer] Football. There is no other state that I know of that the third largest population is the college football stadium on game day. Also NORAD is there. You don't get more heartland than that. XD

Rook

Postby Mofo Jones » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:23 am

A minor correction - STRATCOM is in Nebraska. NORAD is in Colorado. :)
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Rook » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:28 pm

Ah my bad it's been a few years. Same thing pretty much, STRATCOM has all the nukes right?
Rook

Postby jomandybri » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:57 pm

Wow! Thanks guys, I really appreciate the reccomendations and experiences! Keep 'em coming ;) Hahaha
jomandybri

Postby Mofo Jones » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:51 am

Rook wrote:Ah my bad it's been a few years. Same thing pretty much, STRATCOM has all the nukes right?

I'd tell you, but they'd have to change the DEFCON level.:) (ok, AFAIK, STRATCOM still has the nukes)

Another suggestion for jomandybri - if you have the time and $$, get to a major league baseball game. I don't think which team matters much, it's just the experience of going.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Next

Return to BCS 2.0