Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 30053 Republic Attack Cruiser

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Review: 30053 Republic Attack Cruiser

Postby Staff » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:55 am

30053 Assembled

It’s the latest Target exclusive polybag set and for some reason it isn’t destined for Target’s seasonal department. No, instead 30053 Republic Attack Cruiser (aka Venator) is relegated to a little hanger by the registers. No matter, as a fan of Mini sets, I naturally picked one up, but I have to admit, I was less than enthusiastic about it. There is something about this set that lacks the draw I’ve found in other Minis, like the Mini AAT or the Mini Vulture Droid, but what is it? Why am I not feeling it with this particular set?
30053 Republic Attack Cruiser

It isn’t the price at $3.99. It’s not spectacular, but with 41 pieces it comes in around 9 to 10 cents per part and for a Star Wars set, it's rather refreshing, though typical for this scale. Most of the pieces are small and nothing stands out other than the 1x3 dark red plates, which I really like, but there are only two. They are better than getting one 1x6 tile, which exist aplenty. The rest of the 41 pieces (including ten 1x2 light gray jumper plates) are fairly common and it’d probably be cheap and easy to amass a fleet of these things without stepping foot in a Target.
30053 41 Pieces

The build looks surprisingly decent for the scale, a massive capital ship distilled into 4 inches. It’s significantly better than other Mini capital ships like first Mini Star Destroyer (4492) and the accessory Star Destroyer from the Super Star Destroyer (10221). This, despite lacking some defining Venator details such as the turrets or the hangar bays (not that I'd expect them). I like it better than the Brickmaster 20007 Republic Attack Cruiser, but I’m only judging 20007 by images on the net, so I can’t form a complete opinion on its relative "better-ness."
30053 Front and Back

Pros:
+It looks like a Venator Attack Cruiser. When a Mini set manages to capture the look of any vehicle, that's always a huge plus.
+It’s cheap. $3.99. Sure, it’s always better to find it on sale or clearance, but who knows when that will be?
30053 Underside

Cons:
-I wasn’t captured by the build. Yes, it’s a Mini, but it’s basic and dare I say, dull. I could build it with my eyes closed.
-For $3.99 you get very common pieces in common colors, with the exception of the 1x3 dark red tiles.
-It feels small, unsubstantial, even for a Mini. It could be because this is a capital ship, rather than the smaller craft that make up a majority of the Mini sets, making finer details difficult.
30053 Top

Verdict:
If you're thinking up picking it up for the parts, wait until word of a sale or clearance. This isn't a set to buy for parts since they're easy to find cheaply elsewhere. Alternatively, if you collect Mini sets and/or Star Wars, this makes a great addition to the Mini line-up, despite feeling lacking, and shouldn't be missed.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/11/22/review-30053-republic-attack-cruiser/
Staff

Re: Review: 30053 Republic Attack Cruiser

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:25 am

I'll be looking to get this for stocking stuffing...if I can find it. I've had almost zero luck finding any of the Target Star Wars minis over the years. Though I did manage to snag an AAT back in October, so maybe my luck is changing?
Mister Ed

Postby atxdad » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:15 am

This set was one of several polybags available post-Halloween at Target for $1.20, but your review suggests they are back to full price now. I agree it's expensive at $4, but very worthwhile at a quarter of that.
atxdad

Postby cas » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:44 am

Yep, I only found them at the $3.99 msrp.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Mandalorian Candidat » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:05 pm

atxdad wrote:This set was one of several polybags available post-Halloween at Target for $1.20, but your review suggests they are back to full price now. I agree it's expensive at $4, but very worthwhile at a quarter of that.

The Targets in my area actually pulled all their polybags (Ninjago, City, SW) until the Halloween clearance was pulled from their computers before putting them back out to avoid selling them at the clearanced price.
Mandalorian Candidat

Postby doodlebird » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:14 pm

^they got as low as $0.39 on clearance. they somehow had the same DCPI as the mini AAT... which was in the halloween section. when target discover this (after people buying 100s at a time!) they pulled them 'til they got the error fixed, or halloween clearance was over... whichever came first.

more on topic, nice review. yeah, this one's a bit meh.
doodlebird

Postby onions » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:12 pm

that's kinda true kinda not.

target recycles dpci numbers. i can't speak for every section of the store, but for toys, most everything has a limited shelf life. so when new items are expected, the old items that's taking up space is clearanced out. if those new items arrive before the clearanced items are gone and are put out on the shelf, you will see the new items with the clearance price. the ninjago polybags were supposed to be gone and the venators weren't supposed to go out until the clearance schedule was done. that's why at some targets the venators weren't put out until recently. others got lucky.
onions
Damp Noodle

Return to Reviews