Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

MOC Madness 2011 Tournament Round of 32 Underway

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

MOC Madness 2011 Tournament Round of 32 Underway

Postby Staff » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:18 pm

FBTB MOC Madness 2011 Building Tournament Board 32

Well, after a nail-biting tie breaker poll in the Tatooine Regionals, we finally have our field of 32 bounty hunters ready to take each other on in the MOC Madness Round of 32. There are 16 individual brackets for you to vote in and the polls will be open for the next three days. To see the individual pools' top 8 bounty hunters, check out the links below:

Congrats to you all and good luck in the next round!
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/11/10/moc-madness-2011-tournament-round-of-32-underway/
Staff

Re: MOC Madness 2011 Tournament Round of 32 Underway

Postby JD4M » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:40 pm

This IS madness! :O
JD4M

Postby zhouston » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:40 pm

MADNESS?!

Anyways, it looks like a lot of #1 and #2 ships from the regional voting will be facing off against each other next round (assuming they win this round). Is there any way this can be changed so that #1 and #2 ships will only face each other in the quarter-finals? It would be a shame for a lot of popular ships to be eliminated that early...
zhouston
David

Postby onions » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:44 pm

I'll keep that in mind for next year.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby SDIronClaw » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:10 pm

Any prizes for guessing who will win the brackets correctly here on out? Just like the NCAA March Madness lol.
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Postby Lazerblade » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:17 pm

Host it and I'll get started. :lol:

Well, this is pure madness! :cool:
Lazerblade

Postby SDIronClaw » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:54 pm

I would, but Ace would have to approve it. Also I would need someone to come up with a bracket that you could make your own picks and then post that bracket with your picks. If need be, I would even back help back the prizes too. Not really sure if it would generate enough interest, but I think it would be rather cool to do.
SDIronClaw

Postby Rook » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:23 am

I think that might mess with voting if people tried to start voting to make their predictions come true or not make someones predictions come true, rather than which ship they thought was best.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby SDIronClaw » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:09 am

Perhaps, but I think someone voting for their own ship each time would be a bigger issue. It was just an idea.
SDIronClaw

Postby VHPFAU » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:25 am

well, that's will be all for me, i´m against one of my favorites to win...well, maybe next year.

And about the bracket pairing, usually championships pairs the top qualified with the last, second with the second to last, and so...and the n°1 match has the 1 bracket, the n°2 has the 8 bracket the 3° has the 9th and the 4° has the 16th bracket, (4 corners)so the high rated doesn't find each other until the semifinals...
VHPFAU

Postby Rook » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:52 am

Ah! Zhouston, I am so glad I don't have to face your Niobrara Shaar & Arkose VII! XD Our two ships are so similar in quality and design. I think you have better techniques but I think mine looks more agressive. It would have been a nasty head to head fight. We might still have to face each other but if we're that lucky to make it to the top four I think we'll both be ok losing to the other. :x
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby onions » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:20 pm

the tournament graphic has been updated fixing the my error in bracket 5.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby zhouston » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:05 am

Rook wrote:Ah! Zhouston, I am so glad I don't have to face your Niobrara Shaar & Arkose VII! XD Our two ships are so similar in quality and design. I think you have better techniques but I think mine looks more agressive. It would have been a nasty head to head fight. We might still have to face each other but if we're that lucky to make it to the top four I think we'll both be ok losing to the other. :x

haha yeah i know what you mean, it would suck to have to go against you, and maybe we'll still meet later on ;). However, I'm not really sure how the head-to-head will play out, I don't know if I'll make the top 4 but here's hoping! Good luck Rook!
zhouston
David

Postby Lego junkie » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:02 am

Awright!
It's great to be in the second round!
Good luck to everybody!
Lego junkie

Postby Walter Boy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:37 am

Finished my voting. One bracket was pretty tough due to the fact I had to choose between two of my personal favorites from the contest. :(
Walter Boy

Postby ImpendingDoom » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:43 pm

Even though this setup isn't entirely true to sports brackets, I really don't think it matters how the brackets break down. Either your going against the "best" ship or your facing the ship that beat the "best". Point is your facing everyone directly or indirectly. Good luck to all.
ImpendingDoom

Postby JD4M » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:35 pm

Agreed. The 1st and 2nd ranked face off one round too soon but since there isn't a prize for making it to the "Elite Eight" it doesn't change things in the end.

It would be nice to have notes with links added to the flickr image of the entire bracket, just an extra voting convenience. XD
JD4M

Postby volumex » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:31 am

ImpendingDoom wrote:Even though this setup isn't entirely true to sports brackets, I really don't think it matters how the brackets break down. Either your going against the "best" ship or your facing the ship that beat the "best". Point is your facing everyone directly or indirectly. Good luck to all.

I think the system requires a rethink...
volumex

Postby captain sambuca » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:38 am

i agree with volumex: the system needs a bit of a rethink.

in sports, the seeding model works well because it can throw up unexpected results; a poorer team might lift their game at the same time as the better team might slip up... in this present model though, the resuts simply recreate the earlier round of voting: we know already how the community feels about each ship, about which is the most popular. as such, the 32 into 16 round becomes a bit redundant... we end up with the top 16 ships, but we could have predicted that fairly accurately after seeing the first round of voting. there are no new variables. it's like judging which tennis players in the tournament are the tallest, and getting that lot of players through to the next round, and there's nothing those short guys can do about it.

the excitement has been seeing the pairings, but as soon as that is established, we can figure out, more or less, who will be victorious.

i still think a better system would be to have the community vote on just one aspect of the build at each stage. in this case, it could mean voting on the best bounty hunter. the best ship. the best prisoner hold. with ongoing tallies of votes accrued
(the best of the ships that are left are successful for all three criteria: but there have been some where one of those has been a bit lame.at the moment, voters have had to juggle those judgements)

and that's when it could get interesting. you boys could throw in other rounds to really test the builders. "now make it be able to hold two prisoners", "now make it be able to house a speeder bike", "now make it with landing gear", "now tell us that backstory" or whatever

that sort of stuff could really test the best builders- and that's what we want to see, surely: everyone upping their game, being more creative, being able to adapt and improve and improvise and develop to make the best stuff.

that said, i've loved this competition. but it's been the build that's been the best bit. of course.

congratulations to the top 16- and looking forward to the next round.

full marks to FBTB for laying it on and sorting it all out and everything.

democracy and how to vote and how to sort all the votes out and everything are all difficults thing to agree on after the general principle themselves, but for me it's been a frustrating process after finishing making just sitting back and waiting for the final judgement....
captain sambuca

Postby zhouston » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:02 am

captain sambuca wrote:in this present model though, the resuts simply recreate the earlier round of voting: we know already how the community feels about each ship, about which is the most popular. as such, the 32 into 16 round becomes a bit redundant... we end up with the top 16 ships

i still think a better system would be to have the community vote on just one aspect of the build at each stage. in this case, it could mean voting on the best bounty hunter. the best ship. the best prisoner hold. with ongoing tallies of votes accrued

and that's when it could get interesting. you boys could throw in other rounds to really test the builders. "now make it be able to hold two prisoners", "now make it be able to house a speeder bike", "now make it with landing gear", "now tell us that backstory" or whatever

I'm going to have to disagree with the above quoted material.

-First of all there were a few upsets in the voting (several #5 ships beating #4 ships), so the first round isn't redundant at all.
-The problem with voting on one aspect is that an insanely awesome ship could lose to a mediocre ship just because the mediocre one has a better bounty hunter. I would be pissed if I lost solely because my minifig wasn't cool enough. I see what you're getting at, it's important to have a good balance of all the aspects of the tournament but dedicating rounds to specific aspects might screw things up.
-Requiring modifications to be made in the middle of the tournament would also change it entirely. I put a ton of thought and planning into my ship this year and all of it's components were built for each other; in other words, I have no room for modifications. Ships that are easily modified would have an advantage and I don't think that's what this tournament is about. On top of that, (and I think I speak for several people when I say this) I don't have a lot of free time to build whenever I want, I had to build my ship a month early during the last week of September because I knew I wouldn't have any time in October to devote to it, so forcing me to make changes over the course of a few days would be difficult and frustrating.

My overall thought is that this is supposed to be a fun and simple tournament where we all design a bounty hunter and a ship to go along with it. The bracket system is just a unique way to crown the winners, and I doubt the folks at FBTB are looking to make any serious changes.
zhouston
David

Next

Return to Contests & Community Builds