Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Movie Officially Announced

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

LEGO Movie Officially Announced

Postby Staff » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:23 pm

8683 Minifigures Dummy

Everyone's favorite plastic building block is headed to the big screen! There's been talk of a feature-length film centered around LEGO toys for a few years and now according to Variety, Warner Bros. is moving forward with the project for 2014. The article says the film will be a mix of live action and animation, presumably with the LEGO component (characters?) being animated. Given Hollywood's track record with live action/animation hybrids of this nature (see: Alvin and the Chipmunks, Yogi Bear, The Smurfs), it's hard to be optimistic about the project. However, it is early so harsh judgement may end up being unwarranted. Let's just hope the creative forces "Respect the Brick" and avoid devolving into a string of jokes involving lower intestinal function.

via comingsoon.net
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/11/11/lego-movie-officially-announced/
Staff

Re: LEGO Movie Officially Announced

Postby cas » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:24 pm

The question is: Will there be licensed sets?
cas
Staff Writer

Postby crazybirdman » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:52 pm

I could see it being decent if it was a frame story like the Princess Bride. Have someone telling a story, and then they switch over to LEGO. But both on screen at the same time . . . .
crazybirdman

Postby banthafodder » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:22 pm

There have been some that worked. Who Framed Roger Rabbit comes to mind. Though Jessica would not be the same as a Lego minifig :shock:
banthafodder

Postby onions » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:04 pm

i have a bad feeling about this.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby DemoGoblin » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:42 pm

Small Soldiers was good. I hope they do it like crazybirdman said, I cant think of another story idea that sounds watchable.
DemoGoblin

Postby polywen » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:43 am

I seem to recall there was a plot rumor that it was a story about a real kid waking up as a minifig in an animated world.
polywen

Postby sparkart » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:45 am

I can't really see the cutesy slapstick typical of Lego video entertainment as an hour-and-a-half cinematic experience.

Then again, watching the original construction paper cut-outs of South Park, you'd never think that could spawn a movie, either.

Then again, with recent cut-backs, like killing Universe, killing DesignByME, Lego seems less and less interested in entertaining anyone outside of single-digit age.

I'm getting the same train-wreckish feeling about the Lego movie as when I was reading on the interwebz about the Wonder Woman TV show.
sparkart

Postby Joedward » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:16 am

Will it involve Power Miners? Oh please, let it involve Power Miners....

:D
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Mofo Jones » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:01 am

onions wrote:i have a bad feeling about this.

QFT.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Flynn » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:30 pm

I can see this working if it utilizes a frame story similar to Princess Bride (As has been remarked), is a mix of live-action plus stop-motion animation (Rather than CG, which I cannot imagine looking good), and goes more for a sense of wonder and imagination rather than slapstick humor and toilet jokes.

I mean, think how cool it would be to have the LEGO parts of the movie essentially just being a kid's story as he's playing with LEGOs- no real sense or logic to the story, but something that pulls in a lot of classic LEGO themes (Not just current ones, I'm talking stuff like Classic Space, Pirates, Castle, etc, with new themes also being pulled into the mix) and just captures that sense of wonder and playful imagination that makes LEGOs so cool in the first place. Perhaps you make some sort of simple quest story, and set every 10-20 minutes of the film in a different locale- first there's Castle, then Pirates, then even Space, perhaps a bit of Aquazone or Atlantis, and the final bit be the confrontation with an evil Wizard or some such trope. Heck, depending on how it's done, the LEGO portions of the film could all be dialogue-less, with some narration when necessary. Perhaps then the live action portions (Which should be kept to about 40% of the film) could focus on a child's escape through his LEGOs, how he goes through the problems of his own life by creating worlds with his LEGO sets. Nothing too cliched, though, otherwise it paints LEGO bricks as the ultimate savior for problem children, but make it so that this child uses LEGOs as a means of escape from his own reality.

Think like Neverending Story types of stuff here, with more of the film being focused on just pure imagination, wonder, and a dash of spectacle, with your typical kid's cliches put to the wayside. The LEGO portions can have a fairy tale-like tone, while the live-action portions are serious, without being melodramatic. If they tried to go for something like that instead of something that would guarantee them an immediate success, then I think they'd have something that would become an absolute classic- something that gives kids things to really awe at and be wrapped up in, but also something for parents that would perhaps make them remember that childhood innocence and wonder from so long ago. Plus, in the long run, I think something like that would end up selling more LEGO sets.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby legomason » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:23 am

So following recent trends, they will be Fleshies then? :D
legomason

Postby Justin Pyne » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:41 pm

A full-length LEGO movie surely has the potential to be something relatively cool. I would just hope it revolves around stop-motion animation (rather than CGI in general,) and has a decent storyline rather than slapstick jokes and themes targeting a younger audience. To be completely honest, I would hope to see a product of the film come out to be something like Wallace and Gromit rather than the recent 'Adventures of Clutch Powers.'
Justin Pyne

Postby buriedbybricks » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:05 pm

When I first read about this a few months ago, the idea was to have it be in the same vein as Jumanji or Zathura. If I can find the articles, I post the links, but it went something along the lines of LEGO elements being used IRL for some adventurous shenanigans. Could be completely different by now and then again in a couple months.
buriedbybricks

Postby volumex » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:09 am

ITs early days, depends on funding and who will TLG hire to protect it 'entertainment' interests, the rest of us will have to wait and see... I'm not slamming it but is this really what kids wanna see?
volumex

Postby Walter Boy » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:50 am

I remember hearing about this idea being kicked around 2-3 years ago. Seems they're finally working on it.

As for what I think about it, I have no idea. It could be amazing or terrible. Only time will tell.
Walter Boy

Postby buriedbybricks » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:56 am

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=57968

That's the original article from a couple years back about this project. I spoke with someone that said it would be 80% animation and 20% live action so we shall see.
buriedbybricks

Postby Daz Hoo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:14 am

Are movies part of the same LEGO division as videogames? If so, is LEGO's head office still listening to the same executives that told them that LEGO Universe would be a success???

Seriously, a mix of live action and CGI for a LEGO movie?

Bad idea LEGO, very bad idea...
Daz Hoo

Return to General LEGO Discussions