Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Designer Con Wrap Up

Discussion about front-page features and commentary from FBTB.net. Only forum staff can start topics here, but anyone can reply!

Designer Con Wrap Up

Postby Staff » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:40 pm

Update: Due to a gross, gross, GROSS typographical error, I had to reupload the video.

Designer Con came and went this past weekend. It was a great show as it is every year with some of the most diverse art under one roof. I was part of the Studs group that had a large booth presence that featured OneLug's Last March of the Ents, Brandon Griffith's Star Wars Chess Set Trilogy, FBTB's LEGO Star Wars mural, and host of other MOCs by Tommy Williamson, Guy Himber, Remi and Alyse Gagne, Matt Armstrong, Gary McIntire, Ryan Wood and Bruce Lowell.

One of the highlights of our booth was a speed build of 10221 Super Star Destroyer. I shot a time lapse video of the build at 1 frame per second and stitched it all together in the video above. This was the first known attempt at a speed build for this set. We set the world record at 1 hour, 31 minutes, and 38 seconds. The table we were building on was not ideal. So we had to borrow some space from another table, that's why the main build of the ship disappears off camera for a few minutes. In hindsight, the main build should have been on the side of the table closest to the camera for a better view of the progress. Oh well. There's always next year.

I took a handful of shots of other merchandise at the show, choosing to focus on Star Wars themed items. But now that I think of it, I should have taken more photos of other products. It's really a great show, centered around the artist and the art they create. I highly suggest making an effort to go next year. We'll be there again for sure.

More pictures below:

10221 Super Star Destroyer 10221 Super Star Destroyer 10221 Super Star Destroyer 10221 Super Star Destroyer 10221 Super Star Destroyer 10221 Super Star Destroyer 10221 Super Star Destroyer 10221 Super Star Destroyer 10221 Super Star Destroyer 10221 Super Star Destroyer 10221 Super Star Destroyer 10221 Super Star Destroyer 10221 Super Star Destroyer 10221 Super Star Destroyer 10221 Super Star Destroyer 10221 Super Star Destroyer 10221 Super Star Destroyer 10221 Super Star Destroyer 10221 Super Star Destroyer 10221 Super Star Destroyer Studs Booth 10221 Super Star Destroyer 10221 Super Star Destroyer Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Studs Booth Designer Con Wares For Sale Designer Con Wares For Sale Designer Con Wares For Sale Designer Con Wares For Sale Designer Con Wares For Sale Designer Con Wares For Sale Sucathon Booth Babe Sucathon Booth Babe Hat and Tails Booth Babe Hat and Tails Booth Babe Hat and Tails Booth Babe

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/11/07/designer-con-wrap-up/
Staff

Re: Designer Con Wrap Up

Postby GregHyland » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:49 pm

So THAT'S where the mural is. One day I'd like to see it in person!
Greg Hyland
"You'll thank me when you share my politics"
http://www.lethargiclad.com
GregHyland

Postby Solo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:46 pm

Yep. Looks like I ought to plan ahead next year and make a point to check it out. I'm sure there will be other galleries of the show at large on flickr to sift through.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Mofo Jones » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:54 pm

Just out of curiosity, and because I saw the mural at CIV and I know how big it is - how many sub parts does that break down to, and who gets to part with some significant storage space for the partially assembled version?
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby onions » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:23 am

it breaks down to three panels, each panel is three xlarge gray baseplates wide and 4 xlarge gray baseplates tall. so put together it's 9 wide x 4 tall. the panels are big and cumbersome; i ended up having to borrow my brother's truck to transport it from my house up to the event. i have a plan though. I want to mount the baseplates on smaller panels, 1 column of 4 baseplates, and have 9 columns. and then have each panel interlock with each other on the back somehow. to take it a step further, ideally i'd have a custom crate that can house the panels that unfolds into a display stand. The crate would also be set on casters to make it roll.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby SDIronClaw » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:24 pm

Sweet video, makes me want to start building mine.
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Return to Community Features