Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Group Pool Play: Tatooine Regionals

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Tatooine Regionals

Poll ended at Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:11 pm

ImageImageImagePax Mursa and the Starcutter
1%
ImageImageImageSiouxsie and the Banshee
7%
ImageImageImageInca Ter' and the Eternal Dusk
12%
ImageImageImageZam Wessack and the Butterfly
2%
ImageImageImageNiobrara Shaar and the Arkose VII
14%
ImageImageImageDan Mc Leone and the Flying Garbage Can
1%
ImageImageImageThe Mime and the Black Fantasy
2%
ImageImageImageGhome Clohrone and the [UNKNOWN]
1%
ImageImageImageJostra Morricone and the BAS-e1
8%
ImageImageImageDrain Gate and the Magseal
1%
ImageImageImageDutch Latrobe and the Unfortunate
2%
ImageImageImageConstable Drex and the Hand of Fate
11%
ImageImageImageKarra Sing and the Scarab
3%
ImageImageImageRenzo Omalac Greebuz Thee'budan and the S'iv
11%
ImageImageImageWolfe and the Leviathan
3%
ImageImageImageXXX and the Centura
1%
ImageImageImageKaya Rakashima and the Cannonball Run
2%
ImageImageImageYamam Oto and the Li T-Ning P38
3%
ImageImageImageDukan Maelstrom and the Hunter I
1%
ImageImageImageJagare and the Gungnir
2%
ImageImageImageGnan Ruta and the Bespin Sunset
5%
ImageImageImageTao Illwind and the Spectrum
2%
ImageImageImageShallac Nexi and the Rusty Dagger
3%

Total votes : 689

Re: Group Pool Play: Tatooine Regionals

Postby ScopesMapeo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:43 pm

I don't know about you all out there, but that flying box is pretty sweet...I would vote for it!

Lazerblade wrote:Thanks for posting this Rook. I know for a fact I could put this to good use. :D

Rook wrote:Greebles & Other Details. (Too much and it looks cluttered and too little and looks too simple.)
Angles and/or Curves. (Nobody likes a flying box.)

Hear is a "good" example Rook. XD

Box With Wings by Blake Foster, on Flickr
ScopesMapeo

Postby ted @ndes » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:27 pm

The caliber of everyone's entries continues to escalate with each contest, which is exciting to see. It makes it all the more challenging and fun to see how this year's tournament goes down.

Great points, Rook. I have to say I went through a similar 'learning curve' before I had my personal "ah-ha" moment in the alphabet fighter contest. The two main things I learned about building were "Don't Settle" and "Commit" (which are somewhat related to "Never Rush").

I used to think 2-3 really cool NPU ideas/shapes for a ship were enough, and "settled" by neglecting the details on the rest of it. Now I've established a "one day" rule for myself; Every time I think I'm done, I let it rest at least one full day. If I don't come up with any improvement ideas in that time, then it's likely done.

The "commit" part is to build it like you are never going to take it apart. Get those stickers/parts you need to finish the model in style.

Good luck everyone!
EDIT: One other thing I'll add on photography is "control the crop". I remembered the tournament bracket used square cropped photos last year, so I made sure mine were that way in advance. Otherwise, flickr crops them from the center and there are no guarantees your entire ship or bounty hunter will fit into view.
ted @ndes
Alpha Male

Postby volumex » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:26 pm

ted @ndes wrote:The caliber of everyone's entries continues to escalate with each contest, which is exciting to see. It makes it all the more challenging and fun to see how this year's tournament goes down.

Great points, Rook. I have to say I went through a similar 'learning curve' before I had my personal "ah-ha" moment in the alphabet fighter contest. The two main things I learned about building were "Don't Settle" and "Commit" (which are somewhat related to "Never Rush").

I used to think 2-3 really cool NPU ideas/shapes for a ship were enough, and "settled" by neglecting the details on the rest of it. Now I've established a "one day" rule for myself; Every time I think I'm done, I let it rest at least one full day. If I don't come up with any improvement ideas in that time, then it's likely done.

The "commit" part is to build it like you are never going to take it apart. Get those stickers/parts you need to finish the model in style.

Good luck everyone!

EDIT: One other thing I'll add on photography is "control the crop". I remembered the tournament bracket used square cropped photos last year, so I made sure mine were that way in advance. Otherwise, flickr crops them from the center and there are no guarantees your entire ship or bounty hunter will fit into view.

Yes, I noticed it on some of the bigger entries have the 'flickr crop', thats for the building advice, always nice get into other peoples minds on how they go about the task of creating these impressive builds! :D
volumex

Postby xiei22 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:59 am

I agree with you...
My ship has been cut off from the flickr-crop...Next time i'll need to remember that problem.
Anyway, very strange/thik/full of offshots design become disadvantageous this way...really don't like this problem! >8(

This is only my second contest, but i learned the ENORMOUS important of the good MAIN-PICTURE too. I add another note to your ones:
- have a large and expensive photo-camera doesn't mean you'll have some incredible pictures!
You'll really need to know your ship, to watch it carefully, to take the most representative photo. Maybe some external opinion (friends,parents,girlfriend...) will help you to see some details that you don't understand as the builder of the subject of your photo.
xiei22

Postby volumex » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:56 am

@xiei22, you must have had a tough time getting your ship photographed, its hard to get people to see what you see in 3D, now presented in 2D! your ship had such different angles ;)
volumex

Postby Lazerblade » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:44 am

Mine was flickr cropped also. But that comes with a long ship I guess.
Lazerblade

Postby volumex » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:02 pm

Lazerblade wrote:Mine was flickr cropped also. But that comes with a long ship I guess.

Yeah, but your ship, she's big, very beeg! So to get it into flickr mode you'd need to have alot more space around the edges :cool:
volumex

Postby ted @ndes » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:49 pm

Ooh... if I counted correctly, it looks like we've got a tie here for the 8th spot (the two ships with 24 votes). Good luck to you both in the staff poll (assuming that they do the tie-break the same way they did last year).
ted @ndes
Alpha Male

Postby onions » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:42 pm

The Tatooine Regionals top 9 are as follows:

1. ImageImageImage Niobrara Shaar and the Arkose VII
  2. ImageImageImage Inca Ter' and the Eternal Dusk
  3. ImageImageImage Renzo Omalac Greebuz Thee'budan and the S'iv
  4. ImageImageImage Constable Drex and the Hand of Fate
  5. ImageImageImage Jostra Morricone and the BAS-e1
  6. ImageImageImage Siouxsie and the Banshee
  7. ImageImageImage Gnan Ruta and the Bespin Sunset
  8. ImageImageImage Yamam Oto and the Li T-Ning P38

Congrats to all of you.

I've set up a tie breaker poll in the staff forum to determine who will claim the last spot. The results of that poll will be shared once the poll is closed, which should be 24 hours from now.

Once the last spot is determined, you will be seeded into the tournament bracket and bracket play will commence.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Rook » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:54 am

I'm so excited to see the head to head line ups!

Glad to see Siouxsie and Constable Drex made it. I really liked these minifigures.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby madLEGOman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:00 am

Congratulations to all who have made it this far, and good luck to you guys vying for the eighth spot. If you didn't make it don't feel too bad, by the time this is over, only 3 will be left standing anyway, and the competition i think everyone must admit is pretty dang phenomenal. Plus that means you can spend more time on the wheels of justice contest instead of worrying how your entry here is doing =). oh and good to see yours made it as well rook, tho my mouth would be agape if it wasn't, i know it atleast had one of my votes
madLEGOman

Postby VHPFAU » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:33 am

can everybody vote in this tie-breaker ?? and where is it?
VHPFAU

Postby zhouston » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:14 pm

VHPFAU wrote:can everybody vote in this tie-breaker ?? and where is it?

No, only FBTB employees
zhouston
David

Postby volumex » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:34 pm

Sorry mate, staff only behind Lego doors VHPFAU!
volumex

Postby Stardusty » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:14 pm

The Arkose VII and The Eternal Dusk were my favorites in this category, but I'm a bit
surprised The Eternal Dusk wasn't first.
Well, this just makes this contest much more interesting. I can't wait to see what will happen next.
I keep imagining those awesome ships fighting in space. Lazor blasts, proton torpedos, explosions...
Stardusty

Postby Rook » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:26 am

Yeah it's all about the head to head paring now.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Previous

Return to Contests & Community Builds