Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Universe To Be No More

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

LEGO Universe To Be No More

Postby onions » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:51 am

The writing has been on the wall for months, but now it's official, LEGO Universe will be no more as of January 31st 2012. According to the press release...

“The LEGO Universe team can take pride in having developed and launched a great LEGO experience that many players will miss,” said Jesper Vilstrup, Vice President, LEGO Universe. “Right now, we have almost 2 million players in LEGO Universe, and we get extremely positive feedback from players. Unfortunately, we have not been able to build a satisfactory revenue model in our target group, and therefore, have decided to close the game.”

The shut down will also mean that Play Well Studios in Louisville Colorado also be shut down, in addition to the marketing team in Billund. In all about 115 employees will be affected.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/11/04/lego-universe-to-be-no-more/
onions
Founder
Founder

Re: lego universe to shut down in 2012

Postby Rook » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:58 am

"it has not been possible to convert a satisfactory number of players to paying subscribers"

Yeah someone didn't their home work on that one. I was given the game for free with a month's subscription and then got busy with my wife's medical issues. Found out how much it was going to cost per month on a single income and was like frak no! They needed to start with a free mode. And then have people pay add ons and extras. Just like crack, first fix is for free. :)
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby Chief » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:33 pm

Well, it didn't help that the economy tanked in the middle of the game's development. They spent millions developing a game that debuted during a recession. The game probably could have succeeded at any other time, but the F2P option also definitely should have been there form the get-go, as Rook says.
Chief

Re: LEGO Universe To Be No More

Postby Daz Hoo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:13 pm

I feel bad for the employees who will loose their jobs over this.

But from the moment it launch, it was doomed to fail IMHO because LEGO priced it way to high. Sales show that parents will pay a high premium prices for LEGO sets. But for an online game? LEGO should have done their homework a little better on that one.

Again, sorry for those who will loose their jobs.
Daz Hoo

Postby dWhisper » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:18 pm

It was as if dozens of people cried out, and then were suddenly silent.

The problem with LEGO Universe always was the problem of payment and continual involvement. MMOs work to hook people into a game and get them to continue to do something, and pay for it. Even Free-to-Play models have to focus on that.

LEGO Universe didn't really do that. It didn't even have the replay value of one of the other LEGO titles, and that is what did it in. Turns out kids don't pay for MMOs, adults do, and there was little there of value for either group.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Mofo Jones » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:28 pm

So, should I ebay my sealed free copy now? XD I couldn't even use the free month because my computers were high-tech circa 2004 and aren't so much now. I agree with others, the free play option should have been there to hook people so they'd keep paying, and the economy dropping like a Hutt in free fall didn't help.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby chebyrashka » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:51 pm

My son had this but whenever we had to renew the subscription it was always a headache. A couple of times the credits didn't apply and I tried getting them applied but was always a hassle so just stopped playing. Fix the issues and maybe people could play actually.
chebyrashka

Postby ForestFeller » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:55 pm

I was really sad to hear that LU is done. I think alot of the reason that the game did not so well at all in sales is because they didn't focus enough on the creativity and building side of the game. I had hope that they would get their act together and at least fix the barely functional building part of the game, instead of focusing so much of the gameplay on smashing stuff. This game could have been a great thing for the Lego fan community, but alas, it is not to be.
ForestFeller

Postby onions » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:46 pm

i don't know, i think having a "build" gameplay feature was entirely the wrong choice. i don't see what would motivate a kid to play a game, and build a model virtually when he could turn the computer off and build something with his/her own lego collection in real life. Look at the LEGO games made by Traveler's Tales and Warner Bros. Interactive. There is no 'build' zone that you spend hours at trying to stack two bricks together. And another thing, LU is a product competing against LEGO in terms of dollars and time. I'm sorry for the people that lost their jobs, but I honestly think LU was a mistake right from the beginning.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby turtle » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:02 am

I never understood how the concept could make money. How did they expect parents to pay a subscription fee to play this game when they give away LDD for free? Ask a kid if they'd rather their parents pay the subscription fee, or just go spend $10 bucks on Legos every month. Seems more parents are concerned with how to unplug their children, not looking for a faster way to do it - and certainly not another way to get locked into a monthly bill at the same time.
turtle

Postby molrak » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:10 pm

Until there's a way to get that tactile feel of the blocks in your hand, I just don't know if the building experience can ever be recreated in digital form. It was targeted at too young an age for serious $10/month gamers, but too expensive for most parents to justify. Most the kids I know would rather have a new $10 set a month than a computer game they have to be supervised to play.
molrak

Return to Original Themes