Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Official Announcement: 10230 Mini Modulars

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Official Announcement: 10230 Mini Modulars

Postby Staff » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:11 pm

10230 Mini Modulars - back 001

Well this is a surprise. Making their official debut at LEGO Fan Weekend in Denmark today, LEGO officially unveils their next exclusive: 10230 Mini Modulars. This is a VIP member exclusive, meaning you have to be a VIP member in order to purchase this set. 10230 Mini Modulars takes the first 5 models from the modular building series and shrinks them down to mini dimensions: Cafe Corner, Market Street, Green Grocer, Fire Brigade, and Grand Emporium. Probably the only way I'd ever buy a Market Street but I digress. I can only assume that there will be future iterations of Mini Modulars to include all the other buildings the series will see. Most notably absent is the more recent release of 10218 Pet Shop. The set may not look like it but will contain 1,356 pieces. Pricing data is as follows: US $79.99, CAN $99.99, DE 69.99 €, UK 59.99 £, DK 649 DKK, and AU $119.99. And finally, you can expect to hand over your money in January 2012 for the set. More pictures below, followed by their video, and finally the official press release:

10230 Mini Modulars - 1TO1 10230 Mini Modulars - back 002 10230 Mini Modulars - back 003 10230 Mini Modulars - back 004 10230 Mini Modulars - back 005 10230 Mini Modulars - front 001 10230 Mini Modulars - front measure 10230 Mini Modulars - front side

10230 Mini Modulars

Ages 12+. 1,356 pieces.

US $79.99 CA $99.99 DE 69.99 € UK 59.99 £ DK 649.00 DKK AU $119.99

Available only to our LEGO® VIP Program Members, this exclusive mini modulars set is an authentic miniature representation of the first 5 buildings in the Modular Building series: Café Corner, Market Street, Green Grocer, Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium. Featuring highly detailed design, each building can be displayed as a stand alone piece or connected to the others buildings in the set. The mini Café Corner includes details like a fan above the doorway and printed hotel signage, while the mini Market Street includes transparent bricks and a unique brick construction. The quaint mini Green Grocer also features transparent bricks and a fire escape at the rear, while the mini Fire Brigade includes a brick bell and white arch wall elements. Finally, the mini Grand Emporium has a rooftop sign, skylight and window washing platform. With fantastic detailing and a huge variety of elements in a range of rich colors, this exclusive mini modulars set is the perfect addition to every VIP Member's collection.

• Exclusively available to LEGO® VIP Members!
• Authentic miniature representation of first 5 Modular Buildings: Café Corner, Market Street, Green Grocer, Fire Brigade and Grand Emporium!
• Each building can be displayed individually or connected to the other buildings in the set!
• All buildings feature fantastic detailing and a wide variety of elements and colors!
• Completed model measures over 5" (14.5 cm) tall, 12" (32 cm) long and 2.5" (6.5 cm) wide!
• Each individual building measures 2.5" (6.5 cm) long and 2.5" (6.5 cm) wide!

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/09/24/official-announcement-10230-mini-modulars/
Staff

Re: VIP Exclusive: 10230 Mini Modulars

Postby Swoosh Factor » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:29 pm

This will replace Fallingwater on my desk once it's released. Instant classic set.
Swoosh Factor

Postby ILikePi » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:01 pm

I'd so buy that! I've wanted every single modular that was released to date, but could never afford to buy them. This is perfect! XD
I wish a mini pet shop would've been included, though, but it's still a must buy :)
ILikePi

Postby Blacknight » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Pretty cool, but for the Canadian price you're on your way to getting next year's modular, whatever that turns out to be.
Blacknight

Re: Official Announcement: 10230 Mini Modulars

Postby Jargon » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:30 am

Pop in a Lizard-Suit Man and you're set!

I'm curious to know how they plan to enforce the VIP Program restriction. Will it only be sold online? I would imagine it'd cause quite a headache for their retail employees to have to explain the situation and sign up the customer each time someone grabs one off the shelf.
Jargon

Postby Andi » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:58 am

I wonder the same Jargon.

The set looks great, and is definitely more display-space friendly than the big modular sets :-)
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby majortom » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:17 am

Woah, I like the look of these; some nice parts useage making for a very interesting and impressive collection of models.
I don't want to be that guy to go off on one about pricing but I must say, the price tag made me do a double take (and actually, so did the part count). I suppose it's simply seeing such a big number attached to a 'mini' set, which I'd have asumed would be relatively inexpensive.I suppose the individual buildings arent that small, however. Given this, I'd have liked to see each individual building released individually (maybe one every couple of months for a year?). As much as I ove these (and I really do) I can't quite justify the price, I may try to build these without buying the set.

Nevertheless these are a much more feesible alternative to their up-scaled counterparts, bravo LEGO!
majortom

Postby GIR3691 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:26 am

majortom wrote:...I may try to build these without buying the set.

The only exclusive parts I can see are two brown neck brackets and the the Hotel sign printed tile. Nevertheless, I'd just go ahead and just buy one and save myself the trouble.

Very cool idea. Not sure if I really want them as I already have most of the modulars, but cool to see and they look fun to build. The price/ parts is good.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Gooker1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:56 pm

Jargon wrote:Pop in a Lizard-Suit Man and you're set!

I'm curious to know how they plan to enforce the VIP Program restriction. Will it only be sold online? I would imagine it'd cause quite a headache for their retail employees to have to explain the situation and sign up the customer each time someone grabs one off the shelf.

And the gorilla man! Rampage!!!
Gooker1

Postby onions » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:48 am

majortom wrote:Woah, I like the look of these; some nice parts useage making for a very interesting and impressive collection of models.
I don't want to be that guy to go off on one about pricing but I must say, the price tag made me do a double take (and actually, so did the part count). I suppose it's simply seeing such a big number attached to a 'mini' set, which I'd have asumed would be relatively inexpensive.I suppose the individual buildings arent that small, however. Given this, I'd have liked to see each individual building released individually (maybe one every couple of months for a year?). As much as I ove these (and I really do) I can't quite justify the price, I may try to build these without buying the set.

Nevertheless these are a much more feesible alternative to their up-scaled counterparts, bravo LEGO!

after seeing the video, dem buildings ain't so mini.

and the brown neck brackets are available in castle of fortaan set, 2 of them to be exact. the printed hotel tile though? you're outta luck.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:34 pm

I gotta say, this seems like a missed opportunity. Offering them separately would have lowered the price to the degree that many more people would have been able to afford to buy some of them. By putting them all together they have succeeded in making a scaled down version of expensive sets that is....still expensive.

Not AS expensive, obviously, but to my mind not enough less expensive to avoid the label of "high-priced set" that turns a lot of people away.

Still, I guess the pool of folks that ARE willing to spend that much on a single set is demonstrably large enough. It just seems odd to make a mini version of something, then group it together to make it still priced out of reach for a lot of people. It would be similar, to my thinking, to making the Midi-Star Destroyer and Midi-Falcon and, say, a midi-Death Star only available as a single set costing $120. It SEEMS like the idea of making the smaller scale models would be to make them affordable to a wider audience with a more modest budget, but grouping them like that prices them right back out of range.
Mister Ed

Postby onions » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:40 pm

WHERE IS THE FIRE ENGINE!?!?!
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby MrCRskater » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:46 pm

That's one of the best videos that LEGO has put together to showcase a new set. They really highlighted a lot of cool aspects without giving too much away. I am now chomping at the bit to build these!

To respond to Mister Ed, I don't see how the pricing on this could turn people away. You are getting a full set of mini modular buildings for half the price of a single full-scale modular. You're getting 1,300 parts for well under $0.10 apiece (even the poor Aussie's are getting a deal on this one). This release is clearly geared towards collectors, those already invested in the modular line. It's a great complement (not "compliment") to those who have some or all of the modulars, and a great opportunity for folks like me who have admired and lusted after all the modulars, but alas don't have even one. That said, I'm probably at least a little biased as I really like micro- and mini-scaled LEGO models. . .
onions wrote:WHERE IS THE FIRE ENGINE!?!?!

Had the same thought, but I guess we'll have to build our own. How, though, I'm not sure. Even the micro vehicles from Tower Bridge are probably too large for this scale.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby bigospedros » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:15 am

Nice set and all, but, it's £60 that I wouldn't be able to spend on the next full size modular building ... so I think I'll pass.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby SuperDave » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:11 am

onions wrote:WHERE IS THE FIRE ENGINE!?!?!

YEAH!
SuperDave

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:14 am

MrCRskater wrote:To respond to Mister Ed, I don't see how the pricing on this could turn people away. You are getting a full set of mini modular buildings for half the price of a single full-scale modular. You're getting 1,300 parts for well under $0.10 apiece (even the poor Aussie's are getting a deal on this one).

If you don't see how an $8o pricetag could turn people away, I got nothing.

I'm not disputing that it is a "good deal". I'm just saying it is still a set expensive enough in ABSOLUTE terms to turn away a large number of people that might otherwise have been excited to be able to buy one or two of the buildings for a more modest price. Not everybody looks ONLY at the price per part. I don't think I'm the only person who balks at buying a set, even with a good price per part, because the TOTAL price is beyond what I can see spending all at once on a single set. It just seems like making mini versions would be a good way to target a segment of the customer base that doesn't buy the "expensive sets", and grouping them all together so that the set is STILL expensive (no matter how good a deal per piece) totally misses that opportunity.
Mister Ed

Postby MrCRskater » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:27 am

Mister Ed wrote:If you don't see how an $8o pricetag could turn people away, I got nothing. I'm just saying it is still a set expensive enough in ABSOLUTE terms to turn away a large number of people that might otherwise have been excited to be able to buy one or two of the buildings for a more modest price.

Fair enough. I guess I made my argument on the assumption that anyone interested in even one of the mini versions would want them all, so even if they were offered separately at a lower price, you'd still end up spending big bucks to collect them. Also, if they were offered separately, you can bet that the cost would not simply be 1/5 the price of the set. They'd probably be priced closer to $20 each, so you'd end up spending more in the long run.

Mister Ed wrote:It just seems like making mini versions would be a good way to target a segment of the customer base that doesn't buy the "expensive sets", and grouping them all together so that the set is STILL expensive (no matter how good a deal per piece) totally misses that opportunity.

"Expensive" is really a relative term. Sure, it's more expensive than, say, 7956 Ewok Attack or 7051 Tripod Invader, but it also has more than 10x the number of parts. The full-scale modulars certainly qualify as "expensive," as $150 is a good chunk of change. But this release offers the opportunity to get a set of minis for half the price of a full-scale modular. To oversimply, you get ALL 5 for HALF the price of just ONE. My hunch is that the corner of the market who would be interested in buying just one or two at $20 apiece (as you suggest) is a very tiny corner, so I doubt that they missed any opportunity with this.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby onions » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:59 pm

i for one would have appreciated being able to buy them separately since i can avoid buying the craptacular market street.

on a side note, anyone wanna buy the mini market street for say... 20 bucks?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby MrCRskater » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:41 pm

You outta talk to my friend, Mister Ed. . . ;)
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Whovian Zorker » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:01 am

And finally, you can expect to hand over your money in January 2012 for the set.

I decided to see if they made it available for preorder before the free shipping ended. Not quite:

S@H wrote:Coming Soon on 1 Feb 2012

:facepalm:
Whovian Zorker

Next

Return to Original Themes