Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Announcing The Alphabet Fighter Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: Announcing The Alphabet Fighter Contest

Postby BigRubberMallet » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:24 pm

About the photography part. My fighter lands horizontally and lands vertically. So to take a picture of it in flight I would need to suspend it or hold it up some how. Is it allowed to edit out the things holding it up? Nothing in the rules clearly defined that aspect.
Oh cool. I just made a post
BigRubberMallet

Postby mdilthey » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:40 pm

I went on bricklink to get an astromech, since mine were well-loved, and massively out of date/battleworn. Looks like, in my opinion, the best droid idea in sci-fi has got a LOT of diversity these days. There's like 8 varieties of them!

I got R7-A7, and I'm thrilled. It's absolutely fantastic looking. How did I miss that set?!
mdilthey

Postby Solo » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:12 pm

BigRubberMallet wrote:About the photography part. My fighter lands horizontally and lands vertically. So to take a picture of it in flight I would need to suspend it or hold it up some how. Is it allowed to edit out the things holding it up? Nothing in the rules clearly defined that aspect.

That counts as replacing the background, so you'd be fine to remove whatever stand you must construct to show it in flight mode (or your hand if you have a swooshing action shot).
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby bartosza6m » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:25 pm

I'm starting with f-wing for the contest, and than other letters XD. Good luck everyone!
bartosza6m

Postby Fat Tony » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:29 pm

Introducing the Iommian 7th iteration i-Fighter, codename: SPINNER.

i-fighter-01 by Fat Tony 1138, on Flickr

i-fighter-02 by Fat Tony 1138, on Flickr

i-fighter-03 by Fat Tony 1138, on Flickr

i-fighter-04 by Fat Tony 1138, on Flickr

Features a control pod that rotates on the z-axis to keep the pilot stable while the fighter rolls or spins (pointless in space but it looks cool). The propulsion ring features almost 320 degrees of directional vectoring for extreme maneuverablity. Fighter operations controlled by two blue touch screens. Droid socket fits standard R2 unit (pictured here with R2-P3). Armaments include: 2 proton torpedo launchers (4 torpedoes each) and 4 laser cannons. The i-Fighter is not equipped with any kind of landing-gear, instead it relies on its repulsorlift generator to keep it hovering above the landing surface.

Built for the 2011 FBTB Alphabet Fighter Contest.

More photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fat_tony_1 ... 916088123/
Fat Tony

Postby Legobrickguy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:29 am

This is a great entry! I think you have my vote XD
Legobrickguy

Postby mdilthey » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:29 am

Haha, there will be like 70 more entries. Don't promise votes just yet! Also, this I-wing is wicked cool, the rotating cockpit is very ingenious. Is that Buzz Lightyear's helmet?

Also, I hate to nitpick but I have to ask, since I'll need to bricklink if I misunderstood: I see those 7 skull stickers on the front hull. Aren't stickers against the contest rules? Or is it ok if they're TLG Stickers?
mdilthey

Postby banthafodder » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:47 am

That is a good question regarding the stickers. In the rules it states no modified parts or stickers. Previous contests had allowed official TLG stickers. I guess we do need some clarification since the entry I'm working on also has stickers. Also very nice work Fat Tony. Between this and your bounty hunter, you indeed are an incredible builder.
banthafodder

Postby HoboBob1138 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:12 am

No modified parts or stickers should mean no modified parts or modified stickers. That's the norm for the contests.
No matter the distance, no matter how far
HoboBob1138

Postby mdilthey » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:19 am

They've allowed stickers in the past, I believe. If that's the case, it might warrant a little review from the judges to see if that's the intended level of scrutiny. The above fighter uses the stickers creatively and unobtrusively- I don't think it necessitates him needing to replace and re-photograph his fighter for violation.

Since other contests allowed TLG stickers, maybe it's something they want to change? We'll see what Solo thinks later today, probably.
mdilthey

Postby onions » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:38 am

it's no modified parts, no modified stickers.

stickers are allowed, you just can't cut them up.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby ted @ndes » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:47 am

M-Wing Viper

(...not to be confused with that other "M-Wing", or a Vic Viper)

Here's the style...

... and here's the substance, a.k.a. engines... ( here's a link to the underside)

... The M is for Money shot.

... close-up of the cockpit and astromech droid socket.
Last edited by ted @ndes on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ted @ndes
Alpha Male

Postby _nours » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:31 am

Hi everyone,
just one question about the contest : the "X" of the X_wing is only recognizable when the attack mode is on, so, my fighter could have an attack mode like this and being transformable ? The main shape of the ship could change between flight, landing and attack modes?
Regards,
Nicolas
_nours

Postby theone » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:46 am

I present the "i fighter" a revolutionary fighter bomber with a armament of a teathered attack droid and MG7-A proton torpedos

showing i profile

bomb bay doors open showing proton torpedo

astromech droid

for more pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/heuershaun/5872422683/in/photostream
Last edited by theone on Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theone

Postby ted @ndes » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:52 am

Quick question on rules:
You may submit/edit/delete/resubmit your pics up until the deadline when the entries are locked in.

I assume this means changes to the photos, and not to the MOC itself... but under the "Standard Contest Restrictions:" the broad statement of...

No changes allowed after the deadline.

... kind of implies that changes to the MOC would actually be allowed prior to the deadline. No MOC changes after submission has been the standard in past contests. I'm cool either way, just wanted to confirm if that is still the case or not.
ted @ndes
Alpha Male

Postby Solo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:48 pm

_nours wrote:The main shape of the ship could change between flight, landing and attack modes?
Correct.

ted @ndes wrote:changes to the MOC would actually be allowed prior to the deadline.
This part is correct. We used to be stricter about revising entries after submitting them, but now you have until the deadline when we lock the thread to modify your actual entry and replace the pictures. It's not encouraged, but it's allowed.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby ScopesMapeo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:51 pm

W-Wing sitting on the ramp.

W-Wing front right by scott34567, on Flickr

Name-sake shot.

W-Wing Namesake Shot by scott34567, on Flickr

Co-pilot seat...

W-Wing Droid Socket by scott34567, on Flickr

Climb-out.

W-Wing by scott34567, on Flickr

Just emerging from my dark age, saw this contest and couldn't resist! So, figured I would roll the dice and see how I stack up (or not) against all the pros out there.

-Scott
ScopesMapeo

Postby Trooper10 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:55 pm

Slayn & Korpil k-Wing heavy fighter
Following the public relations disaster of the B-Wing fighter (which significantly failed to resemble a 'b') a decade after the Battle of Endor the New Republic commissioned an upgraded heavy fighter to replace the difficult to fly B-Wing. Incorporating a rotating cockpit, upgraded engines and weapons mounts the new Slayn & Korpil designed k-Wing is an accomplished replacement.

Faster and more stable than the B-Wing, but retaining its heavy armor and with a proton torpedo launcher, dual concussion missiles, Ion canons, heavy and light laser blasters and the ability to add a bombing pod, the k-Wing is a flying arsenal that is a true replacement for the venerable Y-Wing, and more. The cockpit can be modified to seat a co-pilot but with an external astromech droid on board this position is normally only filled by a relief pilot on long range missions.

Test pilot Dack "Happy" Starlighter proudly sports his Clone-Wars era helmet and is backed up by one of the most reliable R2 units available.

Front view attack mode by Trooper10.0, on Flickr

Landing mode by Trooper10.0, on Flickr

Cockpit and R2 socket - canopy open by Trooper10.0, on Flickr

3/4 view attack mode by Trooper10.0, on Flickr

Made almost exclusively from the parts from a 7931 T-6 Jedi Shuttle and 6212 X-wing Fighter (plus a fair few greebly bits I picked up while at Bothcon2011) I was keen to get a working transforming fighter that was reasonably sturdy. It swooshes very nicely (trust me) but since the fighter flies vertically and I lack the photoshop skills to hold it up and remove my hand, the flight mode shots were taken horizontally and rotated. I hope the pics do it justice (a few more on Flickr).
Trooper10

Postby mdilthey » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:39 pm

I would say, justice is definitely done here. I can't think of a better way to photograph it other than rotating the pictures- it looks great!
mdilthey

Postby suboken » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:59 am

Hi everyone! This is my first entry into a FBTB contest, so here it goes...

TSP: E-Wing Reconnaissance Fighter.

E_Wing1 by madathon, on Flickr

E_Wing2 by madathon, on Flickr

E_Wing4 by madathon, on Flickr

E_Wing3 by madathon, on Flickr

My wife and I had a great time checking out your booth at LEGOLAND during the Star Wars Weekend. We hope to join you next year as both builders and volunteers.

Thanks for looking!
suboken

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds