Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Announcing The Alphabet Fighter Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: Announcing The Alphabet Fighter Contest

Postby Master Fetty » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:32 am

[quote=staff]- Ships forming any of the above letters representing an exotic font will not be accepted. The letter must be immediately recognizable.

Does that mean the M-Wing wouldn't be allowed? I've spent a long time staring at and still don't see the M/m.
Master Fetty

Postby LegoBuddy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:39 am

Great idea for a contest. It finally motivated me to join!
LegoBuddy

Postby Flynn » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:50 am

Master Fetty wrote:Does that mean the M-Wing wouldn't be allowed? I've spent a long time staring at and still don't see the M/m.

joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby pmach » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:51 am

This is my entry, an Imperial E-Wing.

The E-Wing

The Astromech droid

The letter E

Extra Picture

More pictures...
pmach

Postby Knobby Plastic » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:14 pm

OK I've taken the pictures you asked for and I'd like to know if you have any more surprises in store for me, because I would like to take the V-Wing apart. I only have so many pieces and practically all of my headlight bricks, most of my travis bricks, and about half of my remaining SNOT bricks are all in it. I hope that didn't sound like I was annoyed with you, because I was not, I know your just trying to give us a great contest.
View my photostream on flickr
__________________________________________________________________________________
Knobby Plastic
Knobby Plastic

Postby onions » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:57 pm

i think we're done revising the requirements for the pictures.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Solo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:06 pm

Flynn, you're crazy, and I love you. But no.

The non-upgrade kit M-wing would not qualify. However, with the MXL mod, it does in fact look like an M. So that's how it would need to be submitted even if you had other external photos showing it showing off the pre-mod version.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby mdilthey » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:40 am

Is there a size limit? Will models that are too large be disqualified on the terms of not being a fighter?

I doubt I'll need to worry about it, but there are many builders who build on a large scale routinely. For instance:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yoderism/2 ... otostream/

Builder42 (I'm a big fan) built this. It looks like a fighter, but it's huge- one of his fighters is 86 studs long. Several of his fighters have a similar large-scale theme.

Another great builder, Rook, made this specifically for an alphabet fighter project a while back:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.p ... opic=29678

This thing is whopping! But it's still a G-wing. Is something on this scale ok? Because it looks like an interesting scale to build in to me!
mdilthey

Postby Solo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:11 am

Neither of those is a starfighter. The first is a gunship, the second is several things grouped into one massive... thing shaped like a G that clearly isn't a starfighter. There is no size limit, but keep in mind a starfighter is supposed to be a small one manned ship.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby curtydc » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:44 am

Solo wrote:keep in mind a starfighter is supposed to be a small one manned ship.

So 2 manned fighters (akin to modern day jet fighters and older fighter planes) wouldn't be acceptable? I suppose thats where the point of an astromech droid comes in, but I still feel a 2 manned fighter is a feasible idea.
curtydc

Postby Solo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:58 am

Correct. The astromech is the copilot/navigator/wise cracking sidekick to break up the tension. Even though there are larger multi-pilot fighters in Star Wars (specifically thinking of the the ARC fighter) we're limiting entries to a single pilot with a single astromech.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby mdilthey » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:45 am

Solo wrote:Neither of those is a starfighter. The first is a gunship, the second is several things grouped into one massive... thing shaped like a G that clearly isn't a starfighter. There is no size limit, but keep in mind a starfighter is supposed to be a small one manned ship.

I totally read you on the G-wing. My examples weren't perfect.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yoderism/1 ... otostream/

My point is, you can build large fighters with 1 pilot, names aside. Last summer, your Bounty Hunter contest, which was single-pilot, single-droid etc. etc. had a specific size limit, and I'm wondering if we're unspokedly supposed to adhere to the same size?
mdilthey

Postby Solo » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:48 pm

The bounty hunter contest required a prisoner in some sort of compartment hold, whereas starfighters wouldn't have that extra bulk. This other example you gave is a command ship with an interior... so still not what we're looking for. The two beside it were around the size you should shoot for. We don't have and will not enforce a strict size limit, but it's more of a common sense thing. Try to keep it around the size of an X-wing, more or less depending on style and armaments is perfectly fine, but if you're ending up with something as big as or bigger than the Millennium Falcon you should seriously rethink your game plan.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Harmonica » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:18 am

Right, here's my entry, the Incom T-Wing, built entirely from 7915 Imperial V-Wing and 7957 Sith Nightspeeder:

T-Wing by WGHMusic, on Flickr

Astromech socket:

Flight mode, showing the T-shape:

Landing mode, showing the T-shape even better:

Set on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wghmusic/s ... 853205364/
Harmonica

Postby SWK » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:20 am

Hello everyone! I never liked A-wing. So why not upgrade it?

Set on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/swk-r/sets/72157627014873722/
SWK

Postby madLEGOman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:37 pm

Just for the sake of asking pointless questions, would a Dos Equis-Wing fighter be acceptable if it were piloted by the most interesting man in the world?

Not that I intend to make one, I've already got something else going at the moment, but i just had to ask.

(oh and if solo or onions by some miracle says yes, and somebody makes this and wins with it, they totally owe me a cut of the prize.
madLEGOman

Postby theone » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:30 pm

can i use custom made decals
theone

Postby onions » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:35 pm

theone wrote:can i use custom made decals

the rules wrote:No unofficial elements.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Solo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:04 am

madLEGOman wrote:would a Dos Equis-Wing fighter be acceptable

For the contest, no. "XX" isn't a letter. It's two. But I want to see this exist... please make it happen. :lol:
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby madLEGOman » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:25 pm

Yeah I was pretty sure that would have to be the answer, but I'm glad you guys understand why I felt I had to ask. I'll see what I can do just as soon as I finish my legitimate entry doing my best to adhere to the rules
madLEGOman

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds