Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Question about removing key chain.

There's more to LEGO than building, here you can take the hobby in a much different direction.

Moderator: Kaminoan

Question about removing key chain.

Postby Boyfromvalley » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:06 pm

Can anyone tell me how to remove the chain from the key chain figures?
Boyfromvalley

Re: Question about removing key chain.

Postby Robzula » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:53 am

Pull off all the keychain stuff so you just have the little metal nub with the eye hole. String a bit of wire (a straightened paperclip or bobby pin works nice) through the eye hole and twist it off so it won't come out. Wrap the loose ends of the wire around something you can hang on to while you pull (I like to use a needle-nose pliers so that it can hold the ends so they don't unwrap themselves). Wrap the minifig in a towel or something to give you a better grip and pull the pliers and the minifig/towel as straight apart as you can. This is usually fairly hard; I find it easiest to set the pliers on the ground and stand on them while pulling the towel-fig straight up.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Morgan19 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:13 am

I've tried all the usual methods (like the one above) but either all my keychains are too stubborn or I'm just too weak, because I have yet to remove a single pin with brute force. :D

A few months back I came across the method listed here, about halfway down the page marked as #3 Using a Soldering Iron, and it's worked wonders every single time. There's really no effort required on your part, since the iron's heat does most of the work for you. I got mine from WalMart for about $8.

1. Plug the soldering iron into an electric outlet. Wait until it warms up (couple of minutes.

2. Align the loop on top of the minifig’s head in such a way that it has the most clearance. (You don’t want the soldering iron’s tip to touch and melt the plastic.

3. Carefully insert the heated tip into the loop on top of the minifig’s head.

4. Wait a couple of seconds as the soldering iron’s tip transfers the heat over to the pin in the minifig’s body.

5. The heat will gradually release the pin and you can easily pull it out. This should take no mare then 1-2 second. WARNING! If you don’t pull out the heating pin immediately, it will start melting the plastic, so don’t linger. Pull it out as soon as you feel the pin is being released. And you are done!

m19
Morgan19

Postby Boyfromvalley » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:32 pm

Thanks for your advice, I'll give both a shot.
Boyfromvalley

Postby uruk-hailordoflords » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:39 pm

i leave the hole it doesnt matter the chain is the main part just take kitchen sheers and cut thru the seam at the link to the hole in the head and then twist it works for me :)
bow to the will of LOTR! urukhailordoflords
uruk-hailordoflords

Postby crazybirdman » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:22 pm

yeah I leave it in. Just cut off the top, and puddy/paint over it.
crazybirdman

Postby shoggoth666 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:27 pm

I used the wire pulling method on the Anubis guards and it took every ounce of strength I had to get the pins out and I'm a strong guy at 6' 3" 200lbs. It was genuinely physically challenging and exhausting ( I did 50 of them ).

On the other hand they came out of the Barracuda guardians easy as pie using the same method.

Thanks for the soldering iron tip. Seems like the thinking man's method, letting the tool do the work, I'm using that from now on.
shoggoth666

Postby gomek » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:35 pm

There is plenty of stuff on Youtube for this. The videos with the soldering iron make it look extremely easy.
gomek

Postby MrHansolo26 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:51 am

I've used the soldering iron method. Worked well.

This is a good 'how to' video on you tube http://youtu.be/cv6Hjytq44E
MrHansolo26

Return to Custom Minifigs