Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Announcing The Alphabet Fighter Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Announcing The Alphabet Fighter Contest

Postby Staff » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:12 am

The Alphabet Fighter Contest

Rumor has it that the Incom Corporation entertained design ideas for letters A-W before settling on the X-wing. Okay, I totally made that up but it sounded like a good intro for our next contest: The Alphabet Fighter Contest. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to design a kick sarlacc starfighter in the shape of any letter in the Latin alphabet. There are some epic prizes to win, something for first, second, and third place.

Contest-specific rules:

- Build a starfighter with a shape based on any one letter of the Latin alphabet. The starfighter must be spaceworthy, i.e. have an enclosed cockpit. For the record, the following is a list of allowable characters:

A, a, B, b, C, c, D, d, E, e, F, f, G, g, H, h, I, i, J, j, K, k, L, l, M, m, N, n, O, o, P, p, Q, q, R, r, S, s, T, t, U, u, V, v, W, w, X, x, Y, y, Z, z

- Ships forming any of the above letters representing an exotic font will not be accepted. The letter must be immediately recognizable.

- Submit up to 4 pictures of your fighter. One of your photos must show your starfighter in the shape of the letter it is representing. One picture must show the droid socket. The other 2 can be of your choosing.

- Ship must be minifig scale and seat a minifig pilot.

- Ship must include space for an astromech droid. Only fully assembled droids will be allowed consisting of a dome head, body and two legs.

- Submission deadline is 11:59pm Pacific Time (UTC -8) July 31, 2011. You may submit/edit/delete/resubmit your pics up until the deadline when the entries are locked in.

Standard Contest Restrictions:

No more than one entry per person.
No modified parts or stickers.
No unofficial elements.
No pre-existing or virtual models.
No changes allowed after the deadline.

How To Enter:
Simply post a photo of your model in a reply to this thread before the deadline.
You must have a forum account to enter. Entries by proxy will be not be allowed.
Optional: include a link to a gallery or MOC Showcase post with more images.
Do not post non-entry photos to the contest thread unless you want to be disqualified.

You must use Flickr to host your entry picture because we rely on the built in image resizing feature. If you do not have an account, you can sign up for free, or ask someone to upload it for you. Once uploaded you will need to embed the photo in the forum. To do so:

go to the flickr photo page for your image
click the little down arrow above your photo to the right of the icons
click "Grab the HTML/BBCode" from that drop down menu
check the bubble next to "BBCode" (HTML will not work)
copy the code from the box above and paste that into a reply here
do not add any more code tags
click Preview to verify that it worked, then Submit.

If it didn't work, send a PM to Solo.

Photography note: be sure to submit the best picture possible. Color and contrast correction is recommended if necessary. The only other image enhancement allowed is replacing the background with either a solid color or simple gradient. Your photo cannot be altered in any other way. For example; no composite views, special effects, text, graphics, or scenery will be permitted. Remember, the contest is about the models - not your image manipulation prowess.

Prizes:

1st place: Bothcon goody bag consisting of the following:
- Reusable LEGO Star Wars vinyl tote bag
- M-wing Kit
- Bothcon minifigure
- 30054 MINI AT-ST
- 30050 MINI Republic Attack Shuttle
- 2005 Star Wars Days LEGOLAND CA Duplo Brick
- 8084 Snowtrooper Battlepack
- 30051 MINI X-wing
- 3219 MINI TIE Fighter
- 8028 MINI TIE Fighter

1st place will also get:
- 6212 X-wing Fighter
- From Bricks To Bothans t-shirt

2nd place:
- 6212 X-wing Starfighter set.
- 30051 MINI X-wing

3rd place:
- 30051 MINI X-wing
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/06/15/announcing-the-alphabet-fighter-contest/
Staff

Re: Announcing The Alphabet Fighter Contest

Postby onions » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:14 am

Updated 6/17/2011:

You may post up to 4 pictures of your ship. 1 picture must show the starfighter in the shape of the letter being represented. 1 picture must show the droid socket. The other 2 can be of your choosing.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby hatcher » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:55 am

Cool contest. Looking forward to seeing the entries.

A few questions as I start planning. Does the letter have to obvious from a top view, or can the letter become apparent when looked at from the front or side? Does the letter have to be perfectly straight, or can it be slightly angled or curved? And finally can the ship be for any faction or just for the Rebellion?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby jamie75 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:06 am

Althought, I sure of the answer already, I want to ask, just to be clear.

Jon's G-Wing looked nothing like a G. The G stood for Gyro. So the fighter must look like the letter, not, stand for something about the ship. Is this corrent?!

Jamie
Please support my Ewok Village: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/21668
jamie75

Postby Joedward » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:45 am

[quote=staff] Build a starfighter with a shape based on any one letter of the Latin alphabet.

- The letter must be immediately recognizable.

I think a ship like the B-wing would be dq'd, as from no angle does it look like a B or b. But the X- and Y-wings are fine (design wise, I'm sure we can't build an existing ship/fighter), as you can see their respective letters from behind or above.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Stardusty » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:33 am

Thank you for another great contest. I can't wait to enter.
Not to mention that this contest started on the same day when school year in Croatia finished.
Beautiful!

But, I have few questions:
I don't have any astromechs and I wouldn't like to spend 40$ to buy Plo Koon's starfighter just for one fig.
Also, local LEGO store (unofficial) doesn't has any astromechs in store. What should I do?

When creating i-fighter or j-fighter, can the connection beetwen the parts be visible (not trans-clear, just in the
same color like the rest of the ship), but thin?

That's it, for now. :)
Stardusty

Postby Rook » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:37 am

@ Stardusty: Check BrickLink and just buy an R2. ;)

Wow this is what makes FBTB the best English speaking Star Wars Lego Forum out there! Awesome contest. Looking forward to seeing the wild and weird.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby Solo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:13 pm

hatcher wrote:can the letter become apparent when looked at from the front or side?
Yes.
hatcher wrote:Does the letter have to be perfectly straight, or can it be slightly angled or curved?
I don't quite understand this question, but stick to "immediately recognizable" and you should be fine.
hatcher wrote:can the ship be for any faction
Yes.
jamie75 wrote:the fighter must look like the letter
Correct.
Joedward wrote:the B-wing would be dq'd, as from no angle does it look like a B or b
Correct.
Stardusty wrote:I don't have any astromechs ... What should I do?
Acquire one via purchase or trade.
Stardusty wrote:When creating i-fighter or j-fighter, can the connection beetwen the parts be visible (not trans-clear, just in the same color like the rest of the ship), but thin?
Yes. Again, stick to "immediately recognizable" and you should be fine.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby ThePlasticJedi » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:56 pm

Should have had it be on the Greek alphabet. Our alphabet is so boring.

This contest reminds me of the R-Wing contest. Yeah, no one remembers that.

Anyways, it's a neat idea, maybe I crash the party.
)2eady?
Chew them out and spit them up, it's the way of the nooblet.
ThePlasticJedi

Postby Sydag » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:47 am

Good subject for a contest, gives space to imagination ! Thanks to the admins for all those awesome contests, I can't wait to see the entries !
Sydag
Mashup Man

Postby Logo08 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:25 pm

This is gonna be good...
I can't wait to see all the entries! My WIP E-wing is going to look pitiful in comparison.
Logo08

Postby Knobby Plastic » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:43 pm

How amazing can that be? There's already an entry!

The "Bloody Arrow", a modified Incom V-Wing.

...and a view showing the "V" shape:
I think it looks like a V but we'll have to see if Solo feels the same way.

Yup, it fits a whole astro in there. Sorry about the purplish hue; I went a little overboard on my recoloring. :S

See full set of photos here.
Last edited by Knobby Plastic on Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
View my photostream on flickr
__________________________________________________________________________________
Knobby Plastic
Knobby Plastic

Postby cas » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:26 pm

The v-shape was immediately apparent to me, so I think you're fine. Great first entry, too!
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Solo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:48 am

Yeah, that looks fantastic. Nice early entry to get the contest off to the right start.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby marin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:14 am

I just registered. Can I enter? (Don't guarantee I will but I need to know if I should even bother building.)
marin

Postby Solo » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:37 am

Yep.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Stardusty » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:21 am

Rook wrote:@ Stardusty: Check BrickLink and just buy an R2. ;)

I wish I could. There's no astrodroids in any of the BL stores in Croatia and I'm not allowed to buy from any stores
that are not in the Croatia.

But it seems I'll either borrow one, either buy one from someone on KOCKICE forum.
Eh, I just hope I'll get it on time.
Stardusty

Postby onions » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:47 pm

6 weeks should be plenty of time.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby onions » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:10 pm

I'm going to have to amend the rules a bit:

You may post up to 4 pictures of your ship. 1 picture must show the starfighter in the shape of the letter being represented. 1 picture must show the droid socket. The other 2 can be of your choosing.

Knobby Plastic: you just need to submit one more pic of the droid socket for your V-wing and you'll be good. Also, any chance you have a back view? i wanna see what the back of that thing looks like.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Knobby Plastic » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:19 am

onions wrote:Knobby Plastic: you just need to submit one more pic of the droid socket for your V-wing and you'll be good. Also, any chance you have a back view? i wanna see what the back of that thing looks like.

Sorry I didn't post a back view before, the back is fully completed and I would have posted a back view, but for the life of me I could not get a good photo of it. I'll try some more and while I'm at it I'll take a picture of the droid socket.
View my photostream on flickr
__________________________________________________________________________________
Knobby Plastic
Knobby Plastic

Next

Return to Contests & Community Builds