Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

I have a job! :-)

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

I have a job! :-)

Postby Andi » Tue May 03, 2011 6:06 am

I found a job! A real full-time job! 6 years after graduating in Computer Science
~Andi
Flickr
Andi

Re: I have a job! :-)

Postby Drock » Tue May 03, 2011 7:24 am

Congrats. XD I'm assuming it's in the IT field? What kind of company?
Drock

Postby Andi » Tue May 03, 2011 7:36 am

thanks. :-) Yes, it is in the IT field - I will work as web developer/designer. It is a media house which creates all the media (internet, radio, video, newspaper) for the Protestant church here in Hessen (county from Germany).
~Andi
Flickr
Andi

Postby Inzane » Tue May 03, 2011 8:06 am

Congrats Andi. :D

Good luck in your new career.

Are we going to see a swell in your lego collection soon? :p
Inzane

Postby Andi » Tue May 03, 2011 8:22 am

Maybe ;-) The train station I now have to use every day is very near to the shopping center where the Lego Store is. So who knows ;-)
~Andi
Flickr
Andi

Postby Rook » Tue May 03, 2011 10:58 am

Don't spend all your money on Lego and Stri...

...never mind. Go right ahead and love every minute of it! Congrats. :thumbsup:
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby Iare Tosevite » Wed May 04, 2011 12:30 pm

Congats! I'm still looking for a job after I graduated CS a year ago.
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby Andi » Thu May 05, 2011 2:18 am

Iare, I'm sure you will find one soon, too.
~Andi
Flickr
Andi

Postby Daz Hoo » Fri May 06, 2011 6:44 am

Congrats Andi! And please do spend your first paycheck on something for you! It's a really good feeling to spend your first paycheck on a little something just for you.
Daz Hoo

Postby Andi » Fri May 06, 2011 7:11 am

thanks David:-)
Your suggestion sounds great. I already think about what would be special enough for me to buy it with my first paycheck.
~Andi
Flickr
Andi

Postby Iare Tosevite » Sat May 07, 2011 12:23 pm

Thanks! I hope so.

And yes, the first paycheck is always awesome!
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby Mofo Jones » Sat May 21, 2011 9:12 am

Andi wrote:thanks David:-)
Your suggestion sounds great. I already think about what would be special enough for me to buy it with my first paycheck.

i'd suggest 10188 Death Star, but IIRC, you built your own version a couple of years ago. Maybe save up for the Super Star Destroyer?
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Andi » Sun May 22, 2011 4:23 am

I'm not so sure about the Death Star. I got it two years ago with "Master Builder Event"-discount when the Frankfurt Lego Store opened. But never really assembled it. Built my own version of some rooms, used the parts for building a Imperial Officer Big Fig and sold the rest of the parts.
It's an awesome set, awesome build, but somehow it lacks something - I think I would have preferred if Lego would have created smaller sets which you could connect to one big Death Star - like the first Hogwarts with the additional Harry Potter sets.

I will get something from Lego from my first paycheck, that's for sure. But it might be something small(er), maybe the Imperial Shuttle, maybe the Tantive, or maybe just the new Ewok Attack set.
Bad timing though, that the next "AFOLs get 15% discount"-day is 5 days BEFORE I get my paycheck ;-)
~Andi
Flickr
Andi

Postby Mofo Jones » Sun May 22, 2011 8:37 am

If you don't have the Tantive, it's very worth it. Good design, solid build, and NO STICKERS! :) And can you float the money from one source to another for 5 days?
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Andi » Sun May 22, 2011 9:56 am

good to know that the Tantive is worth to get.
Yeah, I could pay with credit card, but is that allowed? Can you spend your first paycheck before you have it?
Is it still the same special purchase then?
~Andi
Flickr
Andi

Postby Daz Hoo » Tue May 24, 2011 10:33 am

No! IMHO, if you pay by CC before you get your first paycheck, it's not the same.

Purchases with a CC before you get your first paycheck should be for things you'll need for your first job, like clothing, a good coffee mug, a MP3 player or Ipod for those long runs in public transport, etc.
Daz Hoo

Postby Andi » Wed May 25, 2011 2:20 am

I see what you mean, Daz.
There will be other 15%-days, I will pass this one and wait with the purchase till the first paycheck money is really in my bank account.

Can I bring my good coffee mug at first working day?
(my brother gave me one from the SW Ep4 Celebration for Christmas)
My iPhone is looking forward for those long runs (well, 30 minutes, plus 15-20 minutes walking) in public transport.
~Andi
Flickr
Andi

Postby Daz Hoo » Fri May 27, 2011 11:25 am

Andi wrote:Can I bring my good coffee mug at first working day?

Personally, I always wait for the second or third day at work to start bringing personal items to my office. I've read that it's important to personalize your work space fairly quickly, but on the otherhand, you have to make sure that you want to work there for a while before you do (I know because I quit a job after only a day once, so I'm not taking any chances).
Daz Hoo

Postby meeotch » Fri May 27, 2011 11:38 am

Congrats on the job, Andi! As for the decorating, I would say the mug can (and should) go first day. It's a coffee mug, one of the most important tools in any office environment. But for bringing a few MINI LEGO sets, I'd wait a little bit. How long, I can't say, but a week? A month? Somewhere in there, and where it feels right. It could be a great ice breaker, you know, you have a little MINI X-Wing just sitting next to your monitor, and then any SW fans or people that you might click with will stop by your cube and strike up a conversation, and then you have a new friend!
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Andi » Fri May 27, 2011 12:32 pm

Daz Hoo wrote:
Personally, I always wait for the second or third day at work to start bringing personal items to my office. I've read that it's important to personalize your work space fairly quickly, but on the other hand, you have to make sure that you want to work there for a while before you do (I know because I quit a job after only a day once, so I'm not taking any chances).

I'm sure I will not quit after one day. I worked there as intern for three months in 2005, so I know the work, the team. By the job interview it did not look like they have changed into bith zombies ;-)

meeotch wrote:Congrats on the job, Andi! As for the decorating, I would say the mug can (and should) go first day. It's a coffee mug, one of the most important tools in any office environment. But for bringing a few MINI LEGO sets, I'd wait a little bit. How long, I can't say, but a week? A month?

Lego on my office desk - what an intriguing idea :-)
A month at least. Because till then I share the desk with the pregnant employee who I will then replace when she leaves in July to get her child. In June she will show me everything so we share desk and computer.
~Andi
Flickr
Andi

Next

Return to BCS 2.0