Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

A disturbing trend has developed in my White Cheese Slopes..

A Member of LEGO Company's staff drops in here from time to time to answer questions from LEGO fans like you.

A disturbing trend has developed in my White Cheese Slopes..

Postby kyphur » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:56 am

They're breaking!

I'm going to call LEGO in the next couple of days, after I can look through more of my collection to get an accurate count. So far I've found over 20 that look like this and it's just the white ones :shock: ...
kyphur

Re: A disturbing trend has developed in my White Cheese Slop

Postby badgerboy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:17 pm

Yikes! That calls for a check.
new flickr folder
old brickshelf
badgerboy

Postby Draykov » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:27 pm

Out of curiosity, did these come from an individual source, or is this a random sample across multiple sets? Based on Bricklink inventory, they seem to come from mostly standard sets, but I do notice they are showing up in some of the games (3850 Meteor Strike and 3854 Frog Rush). I'm wondering if that might be a factor.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Solo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:28 pm

And I'm guessing your collection is mixed so you have no idea if they're from the same batch, making it an isolated problem, or if these were from a broad selection of sets over recent years and meaning it's a huge problem just beginning to surface.

Either way, that suuucks dude.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby theStuck » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:25 am

Are they old ? or are they from recent sets ?
I have a lot of them but from recent sets (1 y.o. maybe), I will check them too...

Solo's right ... "that suuucks" :/
theStuck

Postby badgerboy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:47 am

Mine seem to be fine in all the colours I have them in... usually white and trans colours have seen more cracking in my experience, but my cheese slopes haven't been used a hell of a lot.

Have you used these ones much? do you push down hard? do you remove from the groove or do you tilt the brick against the stud from the wider edge? I'm not suggesting it's your fault in the slightest, the pieces SHOULDN'T be splitting like that - ABS should be far more hard wearing in terms of life/longevity (these pieces were only introduced in 2004) so even given their maximum age, they should still be fairly free from fatigue... just interested to know what sort of usage the cheese slices have seen and whether certain techniques result in more fatiguing than others.

I've got similar sized pieces that have been in my collection for three or four times that long and aren't showing anything like the same problem... although I did have to replace both Luke and Leia's arms in my 7190 Falcon in around 2007 - for similar looking splits near the hands... perhaps there is an issue with thin cross-section material in white.

ABS in it's raw state is semi-translucent ivory tending toward white, so perhaps it is a chemical-make-up issue for all white pieces in thin cross-section. IIRC from my materials technology lectures, pigments and other such additives will affect the durability properties of the final product in the same way as the heat of the plastic when injected, the heat of the mold, cycle times of the injection mold machine and whether there is any cooling of the mold between cycles.

So many factors could be at play, I doubt you can make a case for replacement as they are used pieces, but I think it's important that TLC be made aware of such a serious issue regarding the life and quality of their product.

Having said all that, I did find a lot of my old (25yr+) 1 x 1 trans-red plates had split in half - but I was a biter* as a child.

Perhaps we should all be keeping our eye on the cheese slice! XD

*don't hate me, I'm rehabilitated now
new flickr folder
old brickshelf
badgerboy

Postby kyphur » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:56 am

I have no way of knowing the exact source of the parts, so far I've only seen it on my Cube Dude MOCs so some of that inventory was purchased loose from BL and some is from parted-out sets.

I'll be looking through my entire inventory over the next week to see if any of my complete sets have this issue also.
kyphur

Postby Rook » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:06 am

Yeah I've had several break in half as well.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby GrayMattR » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:55 pm

I haven't had any break, regardless of color and they get hammered on by my kids. Did you have these on a MOC or model that was in direct sunlight for long periods? I remember reading somewhere that leaving pieces in direct sunlight too long can make them brittle.
GrayMattR

Postby Robzula » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:19 am

Did you smash them with a hammer? I remember hearing somewhere that smashing them with a hammer is bad for them.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Draykov » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:28 am

Also, does God hate you? Because I sure don't want this to happen to my bricks and I'd feel better knowing there was some outside factor due to your being a marked man in some way. ;)

Spoiler: show
(For all of you thin-skinned individuals that can't take a joke, I am totally kidding and feel bad for kyphur and am ready to be pissed if this is a LEGO QC issue)
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby ie10421 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:56 pm

I've have several crack just like that. I know that several of the ones I had crack came from the ploy-bag mini V-19's (8031). Only my white have cracked so far. I'm sure some from other sources have cracked, but I can't be sure of where they came from.
ie10421

Postby CloneEmperor » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:10 pm

I was going through my built Mini's and was surprised to see that both of the white cheese slopes on the back of Republic Attack Shuttle were cracked. I put it together about 6 months ago, and haven't even looked at it since.
CloneEmperor

Postby cas » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:43 am

CloneEmperor wrote:I was going through my built Mini's and was surprised to see that both of the white cheese slopes on the back of Republic Attack Shuttle were cracked. I put it together about 6 months ago, and haven't even looked at it since.

Your post prompted me to check this set, one I forgot about. I checked most of my other sets with these slopes earlier and found nothing. I took a look at the Mini Attack Shuttle, there they were on both slopes. They were miniscule, about a millimeter or two in length. I anticipate they will get worse. Now I need to do a complete inventory of all my cheese slopes.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby SWATminifigGUY » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:47 am

Same thing happened to my white and orange cheese slopes.
SWATminifigGUY

Postby MisterFubar » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:19 am

CloneEmperor wrote:I was going through my built Mini's and was surprised to see that both of the white cheese slopes on the back of Republic Attack Shuttle were cracked. I put it together about 6 months ago, and haven't even looked at it since.

I just checked mine that was assembled about a year ago, put in the back corner of a shelf and forgot about... Very small cracks starting to form.

Oddly, the other one that sat on my shelf at work that had 2 baths in fire suppression foam aren't cracked at all.
MisterFubar

Postby jejowilie » Thu May 19, 2011 2:44 pm

you are not the only one with this problem. I sent the photo's to lego, but got no reaction
jejowilie

Postby jejowilie » Thu May 19, 2011 10:49 pm

See also my cheese slopes form several modular buildings

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61351078@N04/
jejowilie

Postby mr_joshua » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:53 pm

I wonder how difficult this is going to be to get replacements. Usually they need the set number, then the code from the instructions....then you are limited to the quantity that came in that single set. I like others are finding more and more cracks in just about every color (except dark green so far).

Thanks for the craniums up kyphur
mr_joshua

Postby Adrian Industries » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Yup, all my grey ones are breaking too. Looks like we need some higher quality plastic.
Adrian Industries

Next

Return to Ask LEGO