Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Green grocer free build-worth it?

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

Green grocer free build-worth it?

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Tue May 17, 2011 5:31 pm

Is it worth it to free build a Green Grocer and BL the rest of the parts?
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Re: Green grocer free build-worth it?

Postby onions » Tue May 17, 2011 7:32 pm

Green grocer is heralded as the best modular building in the series. I would say yes.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Wed May 18, 2011 4:18 am

onions wrote:Green grocer is heralded as the best modular building in the series. I would say yes.

Perhaps I should rephrase my question. which is more economical-buying the parts or buying the set?
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby bigospedros » Wed May 18, 2011 6:36 am

I'm trying to find this set for a decent price and doing it this way hadn't really occurred to me ... so, this has prompted me to

a) print out the inventory and work out what I already own
b) make a wanted list for what I don't already own and see how much it would cost to buy the parts

I'd struck up a deal to buy it brand new for £220 including shipping, which is a bit more than I really wanted to spend :S
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Draykov » Wed May 18, 2011 6:48 am

Yeah, not to seem unhelpful, but I think you're just gonna need to take some initiative and do a little personal research as bigospedros has done. There was a similar topic recently where Puddleglum offered some tips on how to use Bricklink to maximize cost effectiveness: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5489
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Wed May 18, 2011 11:56 am

Can you take a set inventory and turn it into a wants list, or do you have to want each part individually?
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby bigospedros » Wed May 18, 2011 12:03 pm

ThatGuyWithTheBricks wrote:Can you take a set inventory and turn it into a wants list, or do you have to want each part individually?

On the Wanted page, Add Item tab, there is a link that says "Part Out a Set" ... I clicked that and entered the set number and just followed the process. Once done, you can click on the "By Shop" tab and choose your wanted listed and see how many of the parts on that wanted list can be supplied by a single store, which I would assume is best since it minimises shipping costs, since most sellers have parts at similar prices. You can also choose the source country.

For me, not all shops had every part for the set, so you may need a few orders. I guess you make one order, then update your wanted list with the parts you've ordered and then repeat the process. Unless someone knows an automatic way to update a wants list once an order is made for some or all parts on it ?
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby iamFLIP » Wed May 18, 2011 12:34 pm

bigospedros wrote:I guess you make one order, then update your wanted list with the parts you've ordered and then repeat the process. Unless someone knows an automatic way to update a wants list once an order is made for some or all parts on it ?

After you complete an order, there will be a link (i think it is located in the middle-right of the screen) to update your wanted list. Click that link and another window will open with items in your order that are in your wanted lists. You can delete the items by checking the checkboxes under delete column or adjust the quantity if qty ordered is less than what you wanted and then click the submit button.

I just recently did this to build my Cafe Corner as I can't afford to buy the set with it's current prices. I'd have to substitute some parts that are hard-to-find (i only buy from US because of shipping fees) or just too expensive like the dark blue arch for above $10 each.
iamFLIP

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Sat May 21, 2011 6:56 am

Hm, I can get almost all of the parts I need from one store for $150-160. I've already spent about $20 on parts, and the parts I need probably will cost $20-40. So, I can spend $190-220 for the set without figs or instructions, or spend around $250 for a used set with everything I need.

EDIT: I can also buy almost all the parts for $180.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Return to General LEGO Discussions