Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

2011 Podracer Challenge: Winners!

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

2011 Podracer Challenge: Winners!

Postby Staff » Mon May 09, 2011 7:45 am

First, thank you to all the participants who created entries for this contest. We had a great turnout, with some fantastic building all around.

After a rapid-fire Lap 2 and 3 last night, with some extremely tense moments and a crazy 3-way tie for 2nd place, we have a Race Champion in the 2011 Podracer Challenge!

Krabby Poddy (isometric point of view)

Fatyankee's Krabby Poddy wins!

The Krabby Poddy made it through the qualifying round that you all voted on, and then survived 3 grueling laps filled with Good and Bad events that you chose. The die was not kind to our racers, doling out bad after bad after bad event. But the Krabby Poddy came out on top!

Also, congrats to roguefx's McPod racer which took the fan favorite prize in the qualifying round!

McPod™

Here's a reminder of what they win:
- The Fan Favorite will receive a special, one-of-a-kind, personalized LEGO Trophy commemorating their victory, 1 copy of 7962 Anakin’s and Sebulba’s Podracer, 1 MISB copy of 4485 MINI Sebulba’s Podracer & Anakin’s Podracer, and 1 copy of 7961 Darth Maul’s Sith Infiltrator
- The Race Champion will also receive a special, one-of-a-kind, personalized LEGO Trophy commemorating their victory, 1 copy of 7962 Anakin’s and Sebulba’s Podracer, and 1 MISB copy of 4485 MINI Sebulba’s Podracer & Anakin’s Podracer.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/05/09/podracer-challenge-winners/
Staff

Re: 2011 Podracer Challenge: Winners!

Postby badgerboy » Mon May 09, 2011 8:01 am

Congrats to the winners! Two of my favourites!

I'm chuffed to have been one of the racers a three-way tie with the other finishers though! I did not think I'd make it to the end!

...and many thanks to the organizers for holding such a fun competition!
new flickr folder
old brickshelf
badgerboy

Postby Fatyankee » Mon May 09, 2011 1:57 pm

What a great surprise this was when i came in from the pub on Sunday night, I watched the whole replay in case it was a mistake and i cant believe how lucky i was to have finished the race, never mind came in first.

Thanks to all the staff who organised ran this awesome competition, and thanks to everyone who gave me a vote it really was an achievement to have been placed 5th overall in a contest with so many great entries and a big Congratulations to
roguefx‘s McPod racer the well deserved winner of the Fan Favourite

Right i am of to spray some Champaign and celebrate my victory
Fatyankee

Postby Pepper » Mon May 09, 2011 3:56 pm

Congratulations to the winners!
Pepper

Postby Daiman » Mon May 09, 2011 8:50 pm

Hey there guys and congrats on the wins.......This was a great competition even if a little on the slow side to get moving on the actual race but despite the hiccups a worthwhile watch indeed.
Daiman

Postby Daiman » Mon May 09, 2011 8:54 pm

Hey its odd that both the burger buns made it through without a soda.....
Daiman

Postby Blackninjatom » Wed May 11, 2011 7:58 am

I don't get tired of watching the podrace or building podracers, so having another contest to build one is always a win in my book.
I admit I'm not sold on the race format though. Maybe there could be short rounds of voting for each lap (like the 1st podracer contest) and then have the random events at the end of each of those, then trim the field...Anyways figured now would be the time to share my ideas, thanks staff for all the effort you put into this and another great contest.
Congrats to the winners.
Blackninjatom

Postby Chief » Wed May 11, 2011 9:47 am

Blackninjatom wrote: Maybe there could be short rounds of voting for each lap (like the 1st podracer contest) and then have the random events at the end of each of those, then trim the field...

Just curious, which part of the race format don't you like? It's clearly not the events, because you included them in your new idea. Is it the separate laps whittling down the field? Because you still have that too.

I proposed the "event laps determined by die roll" thing to the staff because it was my opinion that the contest already had too many polls. I also thought the randomized events would help the "little guy" out.

Debates about all these issues really screwed with the staff. I don't think we've got the perfect solution yet, but give us credit for trying something new :P
Chief

Postby Fatyankee » Wed May 11, 2011 11:34 am

I think the staff did a great job and i am not just been biased because i won the race
If there was a vote for each lap it would just slow it down, and why vote 3 or 4 times when your going to vote for your favourites every time
I think there was a good balance between pure luck and starting position based on fan votes and like Chief said the random events can help give anybody a chance to win it

I had a great starting position (technically 4th place to win prizes as fan favourite could not win twice) but it was pure luck and Spongebobs use of the force that ended me in 1st place
Any body could of drawn the Batpods card in round 1 that put him 10 pts in front of the leader at any time and won the race, and that element of luck is great and gives everyone a shooting chance to win and a reason to watch right till the last card is drawn
Fatyankee

Postby Blackninjatom » Wed May 11, 2011 1:40 pm

Chief wrote:
Blackninjatom wrote: Maybe there could be short rounds of voting for each lap (like the 1st podracer contest) and then have the random events at the end of each of those, then trim the field...

I proposed the "event laps determined by die roll" thing to the staff because it was my opinion that the contest already had too many polls. I also thought the randomized events would help the "little guy" out.

Debates about all these issues really screwed with the staff. I don't think we've got the perfect solution yet, but give us credit for trying something new :P

Oh I do give you credit, and really do appreciate all the work that clearly went into this. I didn't intend to sound discontent, I just had an idea and I figured you would look at it and take it or leave it based on whether you thought it would improve the contest or not. :) I guess I would like a little less luck. I do like the events more than the sabotage poll from last time, and I do like how they help the "little guy". I was just thinking short/small polls would be a way for pods to make a possible comeback after a bad event(provided the event wasn't a crash). So no I'm not suggesting much, and I see your point about the pacing of the polls slowing things down further, so if that is an issue I leave it to you and the rest of the staff's judgement. I was just thinking a couple polls might be easier to set up than having to set aside time for a live showing of the race. Again just offering my 2 cents, if you think any of this makes some sense great, if not no worries.
Blackninjatom

Postby Chief » Wed May 11, 2011 6:42 pm

I hope I didn't give the impression I didn't appreciate your comments, I was just trying to pinpoint what it was you weren't keen on.
Chief

Postby pombe » Wed May 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Thanks, FBTB, for a great contest! It was fun to build and exciting to watch!

Also, congrats to roguefx and Fatyankee (a fellow Spongebob fan!)!

I'm definitely keeping my eyes peeled for more contests and exciting builds on FBTB.
pombe

Postby Fatyankee » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:31 am

Any update on when the prizes are shipping out ?
My boy keeps asking me when its coming so he can help build the set
Fatyankee

Postby Fatyankee » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:08 pm

Any Update at all ..... ??????? :S
Fatyankee

Postby Chief » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:58 am

I built and handed off your trophy. I don't know if Ace has shipped yet.
Chief

Postby Fatyankee » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:08 pm

Thanks for the reply
Give me a pm if you need my address again
Cheers XD
Fatyankee

Postby onions » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:25 pm

i'm having a hard time wrapping the thing up. I took a bunch of pictures which i will send you a link to once i ship so you'll at least know what it's supposed to look like assembled. i'm aiming for this week to get everything out for you.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Fatyankee » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:12 am

Great , I've been looking forward to getting my hands on the Anakin and Sebulba set for a long time now and i cant wait to see the trophy
Let me know if you still have my info, i sent it once but that was quite some time ago
Thanks again for getting back to me :)
Fatyankee

Postby Fatyankee » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:16 pm

Well its been a while and still no news or pics , everything ok ?
Fatyankee

Postby Starado » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:22 am

That Mcpod is very good, the whole build is :cool:
Starado

Return to Contests & Community Builds