Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Announcing The Hybridfighter Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: Announcing The Hybridfighter Contest

Postby Mister Ed » Thu May 05, 2011 10:33 am

You are most likely right. I guess I'll just have to wait for another "Alternate Model" contest, where everybody starts with the same pool of parts, to have a chance of competing against some of the folks on here. (Assuming I actually have the set that is chosen for such a thing.)

EDIT: I realized after posting this that it could sound rather bitter. Not my intention. I want to make it clear that I really DID enjoy this contest (even if I didn't agree with all the rules ;) ).
Last edited by Mister Ed on Thu May 05, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Ed

Postby Skafte » Thu May 05, 2011 2:47 pm

Here is my Landshuttlespeeder

Some kind of Bounty Hunter Scum uses this Landspeeder/Imperial Shuttle to roam a planet looking for people/creatures/plants to kidnap. There is a cargo bay for storing them behind the cockpit. It has been repainted to look cooler, I don't know if it does, really.

It can fold the wings for a steadier flight and has light bricks illuminating the engines:

More pics on my Flickr
Brick me!
Skafte

Postby Mister Ed » Thu May 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Cool ship, Skafte! I would suggest putting a closed cockpit on it, though. I think the contest specifies that the end result of these mashups is supposed to be a starfighter, and therefore spaceworthy. Hopefully somebody with official standing will confirm or deny my assumption...

Here's the part I was thinking of...

Clarifications from page 1: All Star Wars vehicles that have been made by Lego (walkers, speeders, starships, etc - no playsets), from any faction (Republic, CIS, Rebels, Empire, etc - mix and match at will), are allowed as inspiration for your mashup (pick only two though) - but the end result must be a starfighter.
Last edited by Mister Ed on Fri May 06, 2011 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Ed

Postby Morgan19 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:55 pm

Solo wrote:buriedbybricks: I'm glad you posed this today because that leaves you time to rework it if you still want to qualify. As it stands your second vehicle isn't recognizable as required by the rules. The X-wing is apparent, but your ATST has been so heavily modified to look like a skull instead that it no longer resembles the source, missing the intent of this contest.

I'm sorry, but this made me scratch my head... You justify the DQ by saying it doesn't follow the rules; I'm interested specifically how.

-- New mashed-up ship from two old ships*: CHECK
-- Made from existing ships: CHECK
-- Don't take official chunks: CHECK
-- Minifig scale: CHECK
-- One or two photos: CHECK

Where in the rules does it say a pilot can't take the ship's components and customize them with paint or decorations (in terms of bricks, not real paint obviously) to change its style? Heck, they're already mashing two ships together, might as well make them even more personal.

* I have no problem seeing the AT-ST portion of buriedbybrick's ship and it's a little ridiculous that that's the technicality that's biting him in the butt. There's the overall head shape, eye sockets, side weapons, jaw guns, top hatch... Seems like everything's there to me; it's just been stylistically embellished with the pilot's apparent affinity for skulls. That's a excellent show of creativity whlie still staying within the contest's guidelines.

Was this just Don Solo's call, or has the entire staff discussed it? If not the latter, I respectfully request that this DQ be reconsidered, taking possible multiple points of view into account.

m19
Morgan19

Postby Solo » Thu May 05, 2011 4:12 pm

In the rule clarifications:
No transition/evolution models where you make a new ship inspired by two others - use recognizable parts from two (and only two) ships and as much scrap as needed to merge them into something that flies.

I discussed this with the other staff members in chat before responding yesterday and we each agreed that the while it does share a few traits of the ATST it does not adequately resemble the source vehicle due to the modifications to turn it into a skull. I have already talked to buriedbybricks via PM and he has accepted the ruling.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Riggleboy » Thu May 05, 2011 6:10 pm

ASIC-C02 (3rd right) by Riggleboy, on Flickr

ASIC-C02 (cockpit) by Riggleboy, on Flickr

My submission is the "ASIC-C02" Starfighter (built from ARC-170 & Jedi Starfighter)
Riggleboy

Postby Solo » Thu May 05, 2011 7:13 pm

Riggleboy, I'm not seeing any significant portions of your source ships in your submission. Did you by chance misunderstand the rules and instead build an alternate model based on those sets?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby LuxorV » Fri May 06, 2011 5:38 am

Hi everybody, here is my entry: it's an AT-AS (all terrain all spaces) Fighter built from an ARC Fighter and an AT-TE Walker.

AT-AS_Fighter_001A di LuxorV, su Flickr

AT-AS_Fighter_002A di LuxorV, su Flickr

And a link to the Flickr set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/luxorv/sets/72157626659491004/.

I hope it's all in line with the rules.

Great entries everybody, btw :)

LuxorV
Last edited by LuxorV on Fri May 06, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LuxorV

Postby Riggleboy » Fri May 06, 2011 6:56 am

Solo wrote:Riggleboy, I'm not seeing any significant portions of your source ships in your submission. Did you by chance misunderstand the rules and instead build an alternate model based on those sets?

Hi Solo,

This was my interpretation of the rules (I may have strayed too far to make sure I didn't fall into the " don't take two ships and just put them together" statement in the rules section). I'm now seeing all the discussion in the thread over what qualifies as a mash-up verses a new ship.

I think the only true recognizable pieces to my ship are the front landing gears which are from the Jedi Starfighter that have been beefed up, the wings that were pulled from the ARC-170 nose, and the white engine which is heavily modified. I tried to use the Jedi Starfighter overall shape as the ships template.

Anyhow... if it is disqualified I'm OK with it . XD I had fun building it!!!

- Riggleboy

P.S. I'm loving all the ships people are submitting!
Riggleboy

Postby Feralcom » Fri May 06, 2011 9:49 am

I love how these contest are like firework shows. You start out with the small displays (like mine) but the big bangs roll out right at the end for a grand finale.

I enjoy these immensely. Awesome job everyone.
Feralcom

Postby Solo » Fri May 06, 2011 12:17 pm

Riggleboy - thanks for understanding.

LuxorV - You'll need to remove the text/logos from your two submission photos.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby LuxorV » Fri May 06, 2011 12:46 pm

Solo wrote:LuxorV - You'll need to remove the text/logos from your two submission photos.

Of course! My bad, I'm used to put it on all of my pictures. I changed the links to a without logo version.
LuxorV

Postby SuperDave » Fri May 06, 2011 6:22 pm

A B-wing cockpit and rotation cuff combined with the reactor, engines, and wings of a TIE interceptor. Rotation cuff really rotates.

b-tie front rotated by super_dave42, on Flickr

b-tie ortho front 1 by super_dave42, on Flickr

More photos here.
SuperDave

Postby Pepper » Fri May 06, 2011 8:13 pm

The Wasp
Wasp by PepperSkywalker, on Flickr
Wasp rear side by PepperSkywalker, on Flickr
It's a Droid Starfighter/Geonosian Starfighter hybrid.

More photos:http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperskywalker/with/5694542605/
Pepper

Postby kost u grlu » Fri May 06, 2011 8:18 pm

Hello! I must say that this was very inspiring contest for me! And I had a great time building my hybridfighter..

Egg'Ceptor

This is hybrid off Y-Wing and TIE Interceptor! The story is very simple.. This happend when you shot down TIE Interceptor, but lose your engine by hitting an asteroid..

Other photos available here.

Thanks!
kost u grlu

Postby EXECUTOR19 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:43 pm

The "WARTHOG"
The "WARTHOG" Side View by Blizzard19, on Flickr

The "WARTHOG" by Blizzard19, on Flickr

My Entry in the 2011 Hybrid Starfighter Contest The "WARTHOG" Hybrid Starfighter consisitng of a Clone Turbo Tank And Palpatine's Personal Shuttle. . Nicknamed the "WARTHOG" because of its ugliness in design. What it lacks in looks , it more then makes up in firepower !!!!!

Any comments and/or suggestions welcome.

Looking forward the rest of the entries. Good luck to all!!!!
EXECUTOR19

Postby nikro » Sat May 07, 2011 1:51 am

Firespray-B-wing Hybridfighter by nikro

Firespray-B-wing Hybridfighter by nikro

Hybridfighter built up from a B-wing starfighter and a Firespray-31-class patrol and attack craft.
nikro

Postby Stardusty » Sat May 07, 2011 6:26 am

The Naboo One

Jake is deserted Clone Trooper.
After he was ordered to kill his Jedi Commander, he ran away and bought himself a ticket to Tatooine.
He considered himself safe there, but ahd no money. HE started to work to earn himself enough money to buy a
ship, so he can escape to the planets in Outer Rim (how ever is that called).

After few years, he meet some junkyard seller who cheaply sold him some remains of The Soulless One, Naboo Starfighter
and some old podracer. Podracer's pieces were in so bad condition that he couldn't use them, so he mixed
Grievous's Starfighter (Obi-Wan sold him to get money to start life on Tatooine) with Naboo and added alternative color
scheme. He decided to wear his old battle armor again and find a new life on some normal planet.
He even made some modifications on it. One of them are flags on engines that are used
for braking, since it's engines can't slow down easily.
And taaadaaa, this was created.

The Naboo One by hrcywindu, on Flickr
The Naboo One by hrcywindu, on Flickr

Thanks to gogocar for borrowing me the windscreen piece. :)

Thank you FBTB mods and admins for this great contest. It was fun to build my entry.

EDIT: I have replaced first picture with new one, because older one had some visible, ugly editing mistaked in lower
left corner. You can still see older photo on my Flickr account.
I hope this editing isn't against the rules. Also, I have edited the story a bit.
Last edited by Stardusty on Sat May 07, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stardusty

Postby Legobrickguy » Sat May 07, 2011 7:17 am

Delta-7 T-2c Shuttle 02 by legobrickguy, on Flickr
Delta-7 T-2c Shuttle 01 by legobrickguy, on Flickr
Here is my entry. It's a cross between a Delta-7 Aethersprite and a Theta-class T-2c shuttle.
Legobrickguy

Postby rifflestein » Sat May 07, 2011 9:43 am

Here's my entry into the contest.

The Lightning Bolt (can't think of a better name at the moment) uses an engine from Anakin's Podracer, and the wings, guns and nose from an X-wing fighter.

The guns are powered from the energy output on the racer engine, and the foils on the front of the engine serve as small shields for the cockpit. The cockpit also includes a harness for the pilot for those rough rides.
rifflestein

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds