Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[Star Wars] AT-RT

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[Star Wars] AT-RT

Postby AlternativeRadio » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:50 pm

I wanted to build a better AT-RT than the one LEGO made a few years ago, but I also wanted it to fit into the Clone Wars TV series. I tried to make it a little more cartoony (largre body and feet, shorter legs, etc) while still looking decent.

Front Shot
Back Shot
Side Shot

C&CC are welcome.
AlternativeRadio

Re: [Star Wars] AT-RT

Postby The Brain » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:24 pm

Very nice! Not especially detailed, but I like it! Sizing with a minifig is far superior to the official Lego attempt. Nice physical design, too. Love the head. Great job!
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby Galagoo » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:08 pm

Pretty neat job. You succeeded in the cartoony look, and although I'm not a fan of LEGO used upside-down, the feet look nice and fairly accurate. The size is pretty good, too large still but indeed much better than that of LEGO.

Now, the constructive criticism.
I think you overdid the cartoonish look a bit; the lower part of the nose is way too long. It should be shortened with 1-3 studs in my opinion. The oversized cannon shouldn't stick out that much from the nose, either, it would look more solid if closer. In addition, the thighs are - from this angle, at least - too short, making the pose look a bit awkward. Making the a tad longer would improve the overall look, not impairing the cartoonishness.
The few studs visible look lonely, too, so I'd suggest replacing them with some SNOT. Apart from the ones on the nose, perhaps, for they might even fit as nose detailing. You could also diminish the number of colours. Those black pieces aren't most likely replaceable, but you could do away with either red or green, leaving only one. The amount of that colour might also be increased, for now the colour patches look slightly lonely.
Galagoo

Postby Jake » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:26 am

For the most part, this a great MOC, I especiallly like the feet and legs. However, as galagoo righly points out, the front is just a bit too big. Trim it down a bit, and put the gun higher, and then it will rock.
Jake

Postby huck to flat » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:20 pm

can i just quickly ask what
SNOT is?
"show me how to lie, im getting better all the time..."
huck to flat

Postby AlternativeRadio » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:12 pm

Studs Not On Top. Galagoo, the black pieces could be replaced by grey ones, but unfortunately, I don't own any. The short thighs were actually longer at first, but it couldn't stand up straight, so I had to adjust. I'll try to lengthen it though.
AlternativeRadio

Postby brick kid » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:19 am

I must say you have fallen onto the same track as LEGO had when they made this. It looks like it shoul but is to BIG. I do know that nothing in lego is to-scale with the minfigs but its can be done. Anyway I like it and good work on the feet.
brick kid

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase