Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Announcing The Hybridfighter Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: Announcing The Hybridfighter Contest

Postby Darth Mitz » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:08 am

apologies in advance if this is a really stupid question;

however the majority of the questions so far have been around the kit bashing of official sets; so to clarify something different; is the use of vehicles from the SW universe that have not yet been made into official sets allowed? ie. a Tie Raptor or an E3 Life Boat.
Darth Mitz

Postby Chief » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:26 am

Darth Mitz wrote:is the use of vehicles from the SW universe that have not yet been made into official sets allowed? ie. a Tie Raptor or an E3 Life Boat.

Contest-specific rules:
- You may draw inspiration from any ship or vehicle that LEGO has made into an official set to date, be it canon or expanded universe.
Chief

Postby SuperDave » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:10 am

onions wrote:Clarifications from page 2: ...use recognizable parts from two (and only two) ships and as much scrap as needed to merge them into something that flies. ...
Clarifications from page 3: Beautifully simplified: "Take 2 ships that have had official models made of them. .... Make 1 ship using partially recognizable elements of both ships without stealing any design elements from the official models"

Does "2 ships" = "2 ship designs" or "2 individual vehicles"?

Example 1: 2 A-wings and 2 B-wings = 1 ABBA wing
OR
Example 2: 1 X-wing + 1 X-wing = 1 8-winged XX-wing?
SuperDave

Postby Boyfromvalley » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:20 am

This is my entry for the The Hybridfighter Contest; The Jump Starter.

Jumpstarter05 by Boyfromvalley, on Flickr

Jumpstarter02 by Boyfromvalley, on Flickr
LINK TO FULL GALLERY
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/264079

Lousy name I know but I had the idea that is what was needed to fire it up considering its built from two separate ships.

The ships in mind though are an X-Wing and Y-wing. In other words I've completely disassembled my X-Wing and Y-Wing in order to build this as I don't have the relevant spare parts available.

Originally it was supposed to have two separate cockpits that were built entirely different to each other but I went with this style instead.

A few other additional bricks were added for detail and structure. I did consider it being piloted by two Lego Castle troll figures and listing it as a Pirate or Marauder fighter craft.

I wanted to use as much parts as I could from both sets; hence why it has two cockpits and two R2 units.

I'm so happy about how this turned out that I may never reassemble the other two ships after the contest is other.
Last edited by Boyfromvalley on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Boyfromvalley

Postby onions » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:58 am

SuperDave wrote:
Does "2 ships" = "2 ship designs" or "2 individual vehicles"?

the second part

SuperDave wrote:Example 1: 2 A-wings and 2 B-wings = 1 ABBA wing

that's 4 ships

SuperDave wrote:OR
Example 2: 1 X-wing + 1 X-wing = 1 8-winged XX-wing?

this is still not kosher, and you have to wonder why the mad mechanic wouldn't just make 1 whole x-wing and be on their merry way. uglies/hybrids are scrapped together from spare parts of existing ships.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Solo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:59 am

- Build an entirely new starship or vehicle utilizing design elements from two different starships or vehicles.
Using two of the same ship does not meet the rules.

Also, LegoHead, I sent you a PM about your entry as it does not qualify.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby The Brain » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:45 am

Boyfromvalley,

I like your entry and can tell that it's using parts from the X-wing and Y-wing designs, but the picture you're using makes it difficult to quickly notice the Y-wing engine plastered on the back of the X-wing body (at least to me). If I may make a friendly recommendation, you might want to reconsider your picture angle so it will include a better shot of the engine.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby Boyfromvalley » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:52 am

The Brain wrote:Boyfromvalley,

I like your entry and can tell that it's using parts from the X-wing and Y-wing designs, but the picture you're using makes it difficult to quickly notice the Y-wing engine plastered on the back of the X-wing body (at least to me). If I may make a friendly recommendation, you might want to reconsider your picture angle so it will include a better shot of the engine.

Well I did say there are more at my Flickr account but I guess your right. Updated image above.
Boyfromvalley

Postby kyphur » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:59 am

I just finished drafting my Ugly.. err... I mean Hybrid Fighter.

It's amazing what can be done with the wreckage of a BTL-B Y-Wing and the remains of an All-Terrain Tactical-Enforcer.

The BTL-TE might not be a thing of beauty and there certainly are a lot of faster fighters out there but as they say beggars can't be choosers and this hunk-of-junk should stay together long enough to cover the rest of the troops as they retreat & regroup for the next counter-offensive.

I'm not sure I'd ever attempt to leave the atmosphere with it and definitely wouldn't ever even think of attempting to enter an atmosphere in one but it is sealed and should be able to operate in the vacuum of space.

Now I just need to build it...
kyphur

Postby Boyfromvalley » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:08 pm

kyphur wrote:I just finished drafting my Ugly.. err... I mean Hybrid Fighter.

It's amazing what can be done with the wreckage of a BTL-B Y-Wing and the remains of an All-Terrain Tactical-Enforcer.

The BTL-TE might not be a thing of beauty and there certainly are a lot of faster fighters out there but as they say beggars can't be choosers and this hunk-of-junk should stay together long enough to cover the rest of the troops as they retreat & regroup for the next counter-offensive.

I'm not sure I'd ever attempt to leave the atmosphere with it and definitely wouldn't ever even think of attempting to enter an atmosphere in one but it is sealed and should be able to operate in the vacuum of space.

Now I just need to build it...

Can't wait to see that.
Boyfromvalley

Postby SuperDave » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:33 pm

onions wrote:"2 ships" = "2 individual vehicles"

Solo wrote:Using two of the same ship does not meet the rules.

Thanks for the replies, guys!
SuperDave

Postby Feralcom » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:35 am

This is my entry -The Axe-Wing

Part A-Wing and Part X-Wing

Code Name - No Alibi (cuz it's ugly!)

Flicker Set Link -http://www.flickr.com/photos/51872192@N04/sets/72157626391376215/
Feralcom

Postby theStuck » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:21 am

My turn...and my first official MOC :D

It's a mix with engines and wings from a Republic Attack gunship and cockpit from a x-wing ...As you can see, the pilot has to mix all this by himself with his droid ... XD

P1030072 par thestuck, sur Flickr

P1030074 par thestuck, sur Flickr

Flick'r album : http://www.flickr.com/photos/61833700@N07/

Thanks for yours C&C ...

[I edit the post to add good links in bbcode, not just in html...]
Last edited by theStuck on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
theStuck

Postby Sydag » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:37 am

I don't know if I should ask in this topic but..
I was wondering, can a Tie fighter's wing can be repainted ?
Last edited by Sydag on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sydag
Mashup Man

Postby theStuck » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:35 am

Sydag wrote:I don't know I should ask in this topic but..
I was wondering, can a Tie fighter's wing can be repainted ?

onions wrote:reserved for rule clarifications
...Alternate color schemes are OK...

;)
theStuck

Postby dWhisper » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:36 am

Unless you're talking about physically painting the bricks, which should never be done, contest or no...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Solo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:34 am

Correct. As long as you can tell what it was before changing the colors, feel free to make a rainbow fighter... but real paint is still out of the question.

Also, I'm really diggin the entries so far.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby banthafodder » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:15 pm

The Frankenfighter
IMG_0391 by trochanter, on Flickr
IMG_0397 by trochanter, on Flickr

The mad junkyard mechanic managed to put together a droid tri-fighter and palpy's shuttle to create this monster. Unfortunately he did not have enough usable tri-fighter arc pieces so he had to use a bantha spine as a supporting arm.
banthafodder

Postby badgerboy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:41 am

Great competition guys. Some nice entries in already too. I Really enjoyed doing this!

Link to the ST-T47 Hybrid "The Stinker" flickr folder.

I hope you like it and here's the reasoning/story behind my entry:

After the battle of Hoth, there was one stranded survivor* left on the ice planet - a Rebel pilot, Squash E. Starbar.

Starbar awoke from a minor concussion amongst some wreckage a day after the Rebellion had fled (the Empire had left their debris and dead behind without much care for them or the environmental impact).

Luckily and more important, conveniently, Starbar's T-47 Rebel Snowspeeder had crashed into the collapsed body of an AT-AT. Insulated from the cold, and well kitted out with an 'A' Team style 'garage' of tools, Starbar was able to salvage the wings from his snowspeeder. He needed a new cockpit though, one with viable controls, as the snowspeeder was burnt out. Starbar ventured out onto the ice to find something usable and lucked upon a decapitated AT-ST. Using the winch cable from his Snowspeeder, he managed to haul the AT-ST head close enough to his AT-AT base to work during the day.

Once his hybrid fighter was complete structure-wise Starbar encounter one final problem preventing him from leaving the sub-zero planet... lubrication for the air brakes and also, fuel!

As it turned out, there were rather a large number of dead Tauntauns in the vicinity too and Starbar discovered that the Tauntaun's natural oils (that smelled so bad), in larger quantities were actually a phenomenally effective lubricant... The blubber, guts and other assorted offal once purified and refined down also created a particularly potent rocket fuel!

A disappointing consequence however of this was the smell - which also refined and increased in potency...

So, Starbar's ST-Speeder hybrid is not only ugly, but it stinks too... and you thought it just looked bad on the outside.

*I don't really know or care if there's something in the expanded universe that I'm contradicting with this.
new flickr folder
old brickshelf
badgerboy

Postby Marmeus » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:56 am

Here is my PoARC-1738, my entry for the hybrid contest.
PoARC-1738 par Marmeus, sur Flickr

The PoARC-1738 has been created on Utapau.
Indeed, when the Republic attack the planet, some ARC 170 starfighter of the Gold squadron have been shoot down by the CIS AA guns.
The republic pilot must build starfighter with parts of their ship and parts of Utapaun Porax P-38 who were on the planet, because they were "leave for dead".

The cockpit is made between parts of the ARC-170 and the Porax-38. There is one pilot, one co-pilot (but he is useless, no canons or anything else) and a R4 unit, if it survive to the crash.
The PoARC have 2 engines. It looks like Pods engine because of their turbine.
The shields are weak. the shield generator is on the nose of the starfighter, between canons.
Canons are coming from the ARC. The Amo compartiment is under the co pilot cockpit.
R4 unit must be on the right (from the pilot).

I hope you will enjoy, this is my first contest and first ugly :)

Post Scriptum : excuse for my English, I am French, so maybe there is some clumsiness !

Bye,
Marmeus.
If you only knew the power of the Dark side...
Marmeus

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds