Ever since DJ Hero, I've been obsessed with mashups. Mashups are when you take two songs and mix them together to create one new song. Maybe it's because I grew up during the '80s but my favorite mashup from DJ Hero 1 is Ice Ice Baby vs. U Can't Touch This. Some other notable tracks on my mashup playlist are Beachball Sky Falls Down by Myon and Shane 54 and Every Car You Chase by Party Ben.
Anyways, aside from the serious digression, the whole point of me telling you all this is to relate it to April's building contest: The Hybridfighter Contest. Basically, your task is to make a mashup ship using two ships from the Star Wars Universe.
In the Star Wars universe, they are knowns as Uglies (Wookiepedia entry: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ugly). Here, we're calling them Hybridfighters. We ran this contest before, and I present to you two of the top entries to give you an idea of what we're looking for:
Adrian Florea's Natai:
Andrew Racle's Slice Hound:
- Build an entirely new starship or vehicle utilizing design elements from two different starships or vehicles.
- You may draw inspiration from any ship or vehicle that LEGO has made into an official set to date, be it canon or expanded universe.
- DO NOT take chunks of two official LEGO sets and attach them together. You will be laughed at and then disqualified.
- Your hybridfighter must be in minifig scale.
- You may optionally include a pilot minifigure.
- Submit one or two photos of your hybridfighter as a reply to this post.
- Contest deadline is 11:59pm GMT -8 (Pacific Time) May 7, 2011.
There will be one round of voting. This is a winner take all contest. He who has the best hybridfighter determined by his peers shall receive one copy each of two of the ugliest sets currently available: 7930 Bounty Hunter Assault Gunship and 7931 T-6 Jedi Shuttle, because within their ugliness, there lies beauty in free LEGO.
If you have any questions about these rules, please post.
- Standard Contest Restrictions:
- No more than one entry per person.
- No modified parts or stickers.
- No unofficial elements.
- No pre-existing or virtual models.
- No changes allowed after the deadline.
How To Enter:
Simply post a photo of your model in a reply to this thread before the deadline.
You must have a forum account to enter. Entries by proxy will be not be allowed.
Optional: include a link to a gallery or MOC Showcase post with more images.
Do not post non-entry photos to the contest thread unless you want to be disqualified.
You must use Flickr to host your entry picture because we rely on the built in image resizing feature. If you do not have an account, you can sign up for free, or ask someone to upload it for you. Once uploaded you will need to embed the photo in the forum. To do so:
- go to the flickr photo page for your image
- click the little down arrow above your photo to the right of the icons
- click "Grab the HTML/BBCode" from that drop down menu
- check the bubble next to "BBCode" (HTML will not work)
- copy the code from the box above and paste that into a reply here
- do not add any more code tags
- click Preview to verify that it worked, then Submit.
Photography note: be sure to submit the best picture possible. Color and contrast correction is recommended if necessary. The only other image enhancement allowed is replacing the background with either a solid color or simple gradient. Your photo cannot be altered in any other way. For example; no composite views, special effects, text, graphics, or scenery will be permitted. Remember, the contest is about the models - not your image manipulation prowess.