Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

April Fools': Forum Avatars... Finally!

Discussion about front-page features and commentary from FBTB.net. Only forum staff can start topics here, but anyone can reply!

April Fools': Forum Avatars... Finally!

Postby Staff » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:53 am

Finally, after years of neglect, I finally managed to convince Greg Hyland to provide avatars for the forums. The above is a sampling of what's available. There are a total of 84 images drawn from the OT, PT and CW. We have plans for more Star Wars themed avatars, and have a roadmap in place for Harry Potter, Spiderman, and Batman, and more! So log in now to your account and choose your avatar!
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/04/01/forum-avatars-finally/
Staff

Re: Forum Avatars... Finally!

Postby theJudeAbides » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:05 am

So where do we go to select our avatar? I was browsing around under the User Control Panel, especially the Profile section, but couldn't seem to find it. Can you provide more information on this, please?
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby badgerboy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:14 am

I suspect this has a lot to do with today, and very little to do with the future.
new flickr folder
old brickshelf
badgerboy

Postby Chief » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:18 am

It's in your profile settings
Chief

Postby theJudeAbides » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:37 am

Still not seeing it, Chief. Maybe I'm blind, but I've check all three sections a couple times and it's still not on. Perhaps you guys have forgotten to hit some sort of permission switch somewhere so that only mods/admins have access to it right now?

And badgerboy, if this really is some April Foolery, then why does Chief have an avatar himself? Doesn't make sense.

Also, if you compare this idea to the idea I sent them for an April Fools prank (which was reasonable, workable, and would have been totally hilarious), which they rejected, it's pretty lame, so I think the real Fool is yet to come. Otherwise, as I told Solo, I'll have to start some April Foolery of my own, and that may not end well...
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Chief » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:42 am

Hey Jude, you know why we rejected your idea, right? It's because we'd already done it a couple years ago. Sorry pal.
Chief

Postby theJudeAbides » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:13 am

When? I don't remember that at all. Last year was the "we're shutting down the site" scandal and the year before that it was the whole "we're changing the theme of the site to Power Miners" thing. Not sure if I remember much before that, doubt there's that many here who would.

I remember something somewhat similar involving you on the old forums, but it was executed way differently and I don't believe it was even an April Fools thing. I think it was just you stirring up controversy.

If this is the best you guys can come up with, then pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft. Even Wookiepedia's "Now in 3D" is more inspired than this. Heck, I've got better pranks planned for tomorrow at work, and I intend to still have my job at the end of the day (and things tend to be overly-pc there as well).
theJudeAbides

Postby badgerboy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:00 am

theJudeAbides wrote:if this really is some April Foolery, then why does Chief have an avatar himself? Doesn't make sense.

Chief, Don, dWhisper and Ace have avatars (the only ones shown on the front page btw)... and I suspect it's about keeping up the gag until at least the other half of the world has properly woken up.

I'm a freelance illustrator and if someone asked me to draw 84 odd avatars (with MANY more to come) as a 'favour' or for the kind of money I think might be available to do anything like that for this site - I'd be hard pushed to say yes... I doubt if Greg Hyland is any different.

If neither you or I can find an option, the next possible alternative after a coding error is a hoax. I'm firmly in the hoax camp - but I'd love to be wrong.
new flickr folder
old brickshelf
badgerboy

Postby Chief » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:21 am

Jude, I didn't say we'd done it on April fools, just that we'd done it. It was a similar enough concept that we didn't want to do it again. We did pretty much everything you outlined, the main difference being we didn't have an upstart member calling the shots: it was a staff war over an insult to my wife, among other things.

I'm sorry you feel so personally offended by the wholesale rejection of your elaborate plan. We don't just roll out the red carpet for every harebrained scheme thrown our way. We didn't like your idea. Time to move on.
Chief

Postby MisterFubar » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:50 am

I have an option to add it under User Control Panel - Profile - Edit Avatar.

I looked through and didn't like any of the options, I think I'll wait until they roll out some more or allow us to add our own.
MisterFubar

Postby Drock » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:15 am

MisterFubar wrote:I have an option to add it under User Control Panel - Profile - Edit Avatar.

I looked through and didn't like any of the options, I think I'll wait until they roll out some more or allow us to add our own.

Didn't like any of them??? What are you holding out for Jar Jar or something? Why you gotta be such an OT hater?
Drock

Postby hatcher » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:24 am

A good prank has to be believable as well as well executed. I give this one 4 1/2 out of 5. Nice job.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby Legomancer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:02 am

Yeah, the only avatar I would choose is R2, and Solo has taken it. That said, I'd still choose it; it would just confuse the heck out of everyone.
Legomancer

Postby Crusader » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:21 am

Awesome! I am loving my new ghost of Obi avatar from episode IV! Thanks Greg!
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton
Crusader

Postby Diaaabo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:02 am

I don't think I'm strong enough with the Force to successfully get my avatar up and running. Moar training I need.
Diaaabo

Postby Master Fetty » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:17 am

I've always found FBTB's April Fools jokes pretty poor - the Power Miner's one went on too long and the ending the website thing was immediately obvious and not humerous. They always seem more to be backslapping on behalf of the ADMIN team than actually funny.

This one removes some of the backslapping (its a lot more subtle), but its still missing any semblance of humour. The MODs have decided to pretend they've introduced avatars, but actually haven't. That's the joke. Clearly some people 'get' it (MisterFurbar, hatcher etc.), but I'm just sat here thinking 'Why?!'. A good online joke can be great fun, but this just isn't.

Maybe I don't find it funny because I'm British. Maybe I don't find it funny because I'm not a regular poster. Or maybe I don't find it funny because it isn't funny. Who knows.
Master Fetty

Postby MrCRskater » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:36 am

Master Fetty wrote:The MODs have decided to pretend they've introduced avatars, but actually haven't. That's the joke.

If this is your view, could be that the joke's on you. We'll just see how this plays out. . .
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Walter Boy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:51 am

I love my new Captain Rex avatar!

Thanks Greg and staff! :D
Last edited by Walter Boy on Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Walter Boy

Postby GregHyland » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:16 am

Uh oh. Looks like I'm gonna have to start drawing some more!
Greg Hyland
"You'll thank me when you share my politics"
http://www.lethargiclad.com
GregHyland

Postby Mofo Jones » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:34 am

I think you're all just jealous of my "Wampa walking away from you in a Hoth snowstorm" avatar.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Next

Return to Community Features