Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

A Momentous Occasion

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

A Momentous Occasion

Postby theJudeAbides » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:22 am

Tonight I was involved in something that can only be described as "momentous." Did I help deliver a baby or save someone from death? Think bigger. No, tonight I was involved in the setting of a videogame record that will likely never be beaten.

The game: Excitebots: Trick Racing. Now, some of you may have heard me talking about this game before. I have spent A LOT of time with this game, and will likely spend even more. It is easily my most-played Wii game. Now, it tends to be a very over-looked game that nobody ever talks about, but it is one of the best (if not THE best) racing game not just on the Wii, but of all time. I could go on and on about how great this game is, but that's not the point of this thread. Just go out and buy the game already. Seriously, it can be found cheap and is well worth your time.

The racer: TopStar, a racer who started playing online around the same time as I did. I remember a time when we were very equal in skill, would race frequently and would often divide wins. This was a long time ago (over a year ago). We communicated (along with other racers) via the gameFAQs/GameStop forums and became good friends. Since then, I frequently would take breaks from this game to play other games, but he never did. He kept playing, improving, and mastering the game. He is now considered unequivacably to be the best player out there.

The feat: Now, in order to give this some meaning, a little background information is needed. In this game, there are a few stats that are tracked by the game when you go online. Now, in each race, you earn stars, and you can also bet the stars you have. These lead to the "Lifetime Stars", "Bets Won", "Bets Lost", and "On-Hand Stars" (you can spend your stars on different unlockables) stats. It was proven fairly early on that these stats max out at 9,999,999 (Doing so is called "getting your '9s'"). There is also the "Excite Wins" stat as well, which shows how many online races you have won. Now, on average, people usually achieve their 9s somewhere around 1500 wins. There are about than a handful that have ventured past 3000. Only a couple have gotten over 6000.

Now, for the longest time, it was wondered if the "Excite Wins" stat would max out at 9999, or if it would continue on. However, getting that many wins is no easy task, even for the most dedicated player. This is where my friend, TopStar, comes in. He had been working his way towards that mark, and tonight, the question was finally answered. Tonight he, myself, and several others from the board gathered in a room online for an event over a year in the making. He had stopped approximately 6 wins shy of the mark in anticipation of the event. We raced several different courses, each time winning (and no, nobody was "letting" him win, I even set a person record on one course trying to beat him). Before we knew it, the moment was at hand and the race upon us. It went by in a blur and was a lot of fun. Of course he won, and as we came back to the lobby, we all turned on stats and gazed in wonderment as that 9,999 turned over to 10,000. It truly was a sight to behold.

Then, to attone for some of the punishment he'd inflicted upon us across those 10,000 wins, we went to a course with an icy patch. He then proceeded to sit in the middle while we all flew at him as fast as we could smashing his bot as hard as we could. It was all kinds of fun, a little cathartic, and shows you the kind of sport he is.

For more on his journey to this fateful night, I encourage you to read his blog.
And to see pictures of his various milestones, go here.

I was an honor to be involved in this and I had a lot of fun. I'll leave you with his signature (in his signature orange):
There are billions of stars in the universe but there will only be one TopStar.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Re: A Momentous Occasion

Postby Masta' Bo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:27 pm

You know what, I enjoyed reading this. I don't know why nobody has replied. This felt kind of like a short story, me speaking completely earnestly. I don't know why I'm even posting. I just am. :)
Because I'm a bothan...or a brick. Bo out.
Brickshelf
"No, Lois, LEGO is not the same as MegaBloks, and as soon as you figure that out, the sooner we can get this marriage back on track."
Masta' Bo

Return to BCS 2.0