Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Help with dragon wings

There's more to LEGO than building, here you can take the hobby in a much different direction.

Moderator: Kaminoan

Help with dragon wings

Postby Robzula » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:55 pm

Long story short, I'm looking for help on how to make some dragon-like wings that can be attached to a standard minifig; something like the blue guy here. I'd prefer for them to be in the folded position, such as he has in the first few panels or else able to be positioned\extended.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Re: Help with dragon wings

Postby banthafodder » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:05 pm

The only thing I could think of would be to use the wings from the Harry Potter dead horse thingy. Attach it with a 1x2 plate and a couple of 1x1 clip pieces but this would not put them in the folded position.
banthafodder

Postby wolfgang514 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:25 am

banthafodder wrote:The only thing I could think of would be to use the wings from the Harry Potter dead horse thingy. Attach it with a 1x2 plate and a couple of 1x1 clip pieces but this would not put them in the folded position.

You mean the Thestrals. Here is the set they came in. [brickset]5378-1[/brickset]
wolfgang514

Postby Morgan19 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:35 pm

Are you looking for a LEGO-only solution, or would you be open to non-purist avenues that still look LEGOy? Both Jasbrick and I found some good solutions, if you're open to it. The Fine Clonier also produces LEGO-compatible wings in grey and white.

m19
Morgan19

Postby Robzula » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:58 pm

I'd prefer a purist method and one that wouldn't require cutting or gluing, but thanks for the suggestions for alternative methods. The dead horse wings are just a bit too big for the minifigs, but thanks for the suggestion, Banthafodder.

I've currently built a very simple design which works well enough for my purposes, I was just wondering if anyone could come up with something a little better. Here's my design:

Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Robzula » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:06 am

While we're at it, anyone have any ideas for a tail for a catgirl? I'm thinking for this a bit of pipe cleaner wedged between the hips and torso would be fine, just wondering if anyone has a LEGO version.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby The Brain » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:17 pm

This probably won't be nearly as helpful as you're hoping, but I was struck by the idea that you might be able to use this piece (and its complement) to some avail if you're creating wings...you might even want to include these spikes from the open circled studs for a skeletal look. It's hard for me to describe, but I envision some way you could click the hinges in such a way that they create a "W" (the hinges wouldn't be oriented the same way as the plates you have now) and could have the spikes sticking out; the only problem would be connecting it to the back of the minifig.

I dunno if that helped at all, but perhaps you can use that.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby majortom » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:16 am

For your cat girl tail, could you maybe use a whip (like the Indiana Jones -I think I've seen a black one somewhere or maybe the circus chap from the minifig series 2 collection) and stick half of it in the minifig's torso and leave the other half hanging out. She may look a little taller, though, I think it might leave a substantial gap between the torso and legs :S You could fill the gap between the legs and torso with black elastic bands.

Alternatively, the line that comes as part of collectible minifig's series 3 fisherman. If you leave the 'stud-end' protruding out of the gap, you could hang her from other studded durfaces. I'm not too familiar with catwoman, so forgive me if that sounds silly.

Or, you could tie some black elastic bands together to make a tail.

These are the solutions I can think of, from the top of my head, but I'm sure there are better ones! I haven't tried any of them out, so Ive got no idea how they'd look, but I hope that helps anyway!
majortom

Return to Custom Minifigs