Earn Double the VIP Points on everly shop.LEGO.com purchase!  Valid April 1-15, 2014.

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

So, you wanna to build a podracer? [Building Tips Thread]

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: So, you wanna to build a podracer? [Building Tips Thread]

Postby Solo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:25 pm

the dutch guy wrote:in the give-away, you had to be at least 14 years old to enter, does that same rule apply here?

p.s. i hope i posted this in the correct location, if not, please tell me where to put it, so i don't screw up again :)

I want to bar you from the contest simply because you can't seem to follow the rules, especially considering that rule was huge and obvious, but that has nothing to do with your specific age. As with the giveaway - if you are underage you would need a parent to supply the address. You're free to enter though because we only need the addresses of whoever ends up winning, so worry about that at the end of the contest.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Capn Spider » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:32 pm

My number of bricks and pieces is really limited, i got them all in a garage sale..
And some have been painted in diffrent colours, like wheels that were blue were painted in silver, can i still use them or are they considered like modified pieces ( even if i didn't modified them ) ?

If i cannot use thos wheels, i'm in trouble for the competition, just because the previous owner painted those....

Thank you for informations.
Last edited by Capn Spider on Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my bad English, i'm french.
Capn Spider

Postby curtydc » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:33 pm

I did a quick google search and came up with some good reference pictures. Check out this link http://scottwart.com/Racer/index.htm

For more great concepts and images of Pod Racers Check out www.deviantART.com and search 'Pod Racer'
Last edited by curtydc on Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
curtydc

Postby Solo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:38 pm

Capn Spider- modified means modified; I'm sorry you have a limited collection but those won't be allowed.

curtydc- awesome resource for inspiration!
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Capn Spider » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:46 pm

Ok i guess i will do without ! :)
If i find antoher good way to make the pod, it will be even more cool.
Thanks anyway for the help.
Sorry for my bad English, i'm french.
Capn Spider

Postby AlternativeRadio » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:49 pm

Solo wrote:
AlternativeRadio wrote:Wow! This looks really great! Can't wait to start building this thing. One question, can we use GIMP or some other tool to create the lightning effect between the engines, such as the ones in the poster?

Emperor wrote:Question, can we photoshop in the sustaining field between the pods for our entry picture?

Absolutely.

/facepalm at myself for posting in the wrong forum. At least my question was answered, thanks Don.
AlternativeRadio

Postby A voice from a void » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Wow, this looks quite fun. However, I do have a couple of questions:
Firstly, f we come across concept art that we really like can we model our racer after it? Or, better stated, is the rule against copying designs only applicable to official designs? Of course, if this did occur, I would certainly credit the source, but still...
Secondly, can we create a steampunk or classic space (theme insensitive, just in general) version of an 'official' design?
Thanks, can't wait to start building! :)
A voice from a void

Postby Solo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:49 pm

The rules state "an original podracer; one that was not seen in Star Wars (including EU sources)" - that doesn't rule out concept art that matches the two pod design. And as long as you're not just recoloring an existing pod design and slapping on some superfluous greebles to 'stylize' it you should be fine. Like the rules say: You can use existing pods as inspiration.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby MrCRskater » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:05 pm

So can I enter my awesome new X-wing MOC if I just call it a podracer?
[insert sarcasm here]

Honestly, I cannot figure out why there are 3 pages of questions about this contest. Read the rules!!!!
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Teekay » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:08 pm

Okay, I've got a question, I think I know the answer, but I am just making sure.

Is my driver allowed to be wielding an obvious weapon, like a lightsaber? I think the answer is no, but mine will look awesomer with my pilot wielding his weapon. Or else "OMG LAZER AWESOMER" as Collin would say.

~Sam (Teekay)
I don't know why I dropped back here again lately. LEGO can no longer hold my interest, and I'm almost certainly gone forever. Bye to all who remember me.
Teekay

Location: Haven't been on in nearly a year. Probably gone forever. Nostalgia brought me back one last time.

Postby Solo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:40 am

Er... I just don't see how that makes any sense really. He's piloting a podracer, not fighting anyone. Why would he have a lightsaber at all? I don't like telling people their ideas are dumb, but man... your idea is dumb. ;)

But no, it is allowed since it's not a weapon on the pod itself, and the saber can be easily concealed anyways. So go for it.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Chosen One » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:51 am

Big C wrote:
Sorry, them's the breaks. The whole idea is to be as creative as possible within certain parameters. Therein lies the challenge, good sir.

Plus... you have seen Episode I, right? The pods are connected by cables (except for that one that was an all-in-one unit, and that's just boring as heck). Part of the challenge lies in the fact that you're working in such a flimsy setting.

Having all of the submissions in a single place makes it a whole lot easier on the administrative end of this contest. The staff likes Flickr better than anything else, so that's the choice. It's not like it's hard for you to get one, just sign up for a free account and slap your pictures up there. Piece of cake. :)

Thanx for clearing that up with me. :) I accept the whole Flickr and your point of view on the design approach.

Just one more tiny question... Can it have more than one cable connected to pod?

Solo wrote:Er... I just don't see how that makes any sense really. He's piloting a podracer, not fighting anyone. Why would he have a lightsaber at all?

Err... He could pull alongside another podracer during the race and slice it's cables? ;)
Chosen One

Postby Solo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:18 am

Pods can have more than one cable each, sure.

Also, note how I combined your two consecutive posts: be sure to do that yourself from now on. If you want to respond to multiple quotes, just copy and paste the separate responses into the same post. It's real simple. Further needless double posts will probably just be deleted.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Teekay » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:27 pm

Solo wrote:Er... I just don't see how that makes any sense really. He's piloting a podracer, not fighting anyone. Why would he have a lightsaber at all? I don't like telling people their ideas are dumb, but man... your idea is dumb. ;)

But no, it is allowed since it's not a weapon on the pod itself, and the saber can be easily concealed anyways. So go for it.

Cause what if he's using his podracer to chase down the enemy? And it looks cool. But if you honestly think it is dumb, I won't include it.

~Sam (Teekay)
I don't know why I dropped back here again lately. LEGO can no longer hold my interest, and I'm almost certainly gone forever. Bye to all who remember me.
Teekay

Location: Haven't been on in nearly a year. Probably gone forever. Nostalgia brought me back one last time.

Postby Solo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:30 pm

It's up to you man, you won't be disqualified by it and the forum will be the ones deciding who wins.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby StormieMan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:00 pm

So do we post a picture of the racer and a link to the page on the forum? Also, do we attatch the photo's to our own stream or the FBTB stream? Also, is size a big factor?
StormieMan

Postby Solo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:23 pm

It's real simple, here's a step by step guide: Build a podracer, photograph it, upload the pictures to flickr, tag the best picture "FBTB" and "2009 Podracer Challenge" and submit it to the FBTB Flickr Outpost, then post the picture the entry thread with a link to your gallery of more pictures or to a discussion thread in the MOC Showcase section if you created one.

What do you mean by "is size a big factor?" ?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby StormieMan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:30 pm

Solo wrote:What do you mean by "is size a big factor?" ?

I'm asking if you will judge my pod differently if it were a small racer ( but still system scale)
StormieMan

Postby Turkguy19 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:36 pm

Of course. The bigger the racer the more of a man you are.....
Turkguy19

Postby Solo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:45 pm

As I said - the forum at large will be deciding the winners. Small isn't necessarily bad, just make sure it's impressive. Don't make me quote Yoda... ;)
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds