Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Let’s Talk: FBTB Star Wars Days Event

Discussion about front-page features and commentary from FBTB.net. Only forum staff can start topics here, but anyone can reply!

Would you attend an FBTB event in connection with LLCA's Star Wars Days in June 2011?

Yes, absolutely!
35%
Maybe, it depends what you have in mind...
15%
No, I just want to attend Legoland's public event.
2%
No, I am not attending LLCA's Star Wars Days :(
48%

Total votes : 46

Let’s Talk: FBTB Star Wars Days Event

Postby Staff » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:46 am

At BrickCon in 2008 FBTB held its first event, a small gathering of members and friends we called BothCon.

In 2011, we're planning something bigger in correlation with Legoland California Resort's Star Wars Days on June 18-19th. But we need your help brainstorming and providing feedback if we're going to pull off a successful FBTB mini-convention.

We're conducting a poll to gauge interest in and potential attendance for this special event. Your vote and feedback will help us determine if this idea has legs, or it's destined for the Death Star trash compactor.

Head to the forum here to vote in the poll, and join in the discussion about activities, locations, pros, cons, and everything in between.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/01/27/lets-talk-fbtb-star-wars-days-event/
Staff

Re: Let's Talk: FBTB Star Wars Days Event

Postby Chief » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:57 am

Separate from the discussion about the theme of the content we're displaying for Star Wars Days, I want to talk about what we as the FBTB community want to do to celebrate locally (or even globally!)

-When: June 18-19th (Saturday and Sunday) 2011: Legoland California's Star Wars Days.

-Who: Members of FBTB who are coming for SWDays

-Where: If we get a large number of interested people, we will be looking into bars, restaurants, or other large fun gathering places outside the park for all of us to congregate. Realistically, this is not your typical AFOL convention. We don't need conference space in a hotel. Well, probably not.

-Activities (separate from Star Wars days attendance:) Meet'n'greet, see a movie/have a SW viewing/marathon, breakfast/lunch/dinner with everyone, have a draft(s!), Swap Meet, building contests, prizes just for being awesome, etc. Brainstorm! At this point, any and all ideas are welcome. Once we gauge interest, we can talk logistics.
Chief

Re: Let’s Talk: FBTB Star Wars Days Event

Postby theJudeAbides » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:22 am

OK, so I initially thought the guy on the far right was supposed to be me. After clicking on the picture, I found out it wasn't. Apparently I have an evil twin out there, and he's posting here of FBTB. Then again, it could be I who is the evil twin... >:)

MUUUHAAAHAHAHAHAHaaaaa!!!

Anywho, given I live in Minnesota, I don't think I'll be attending, but you crazy kids have fun.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby MisterFubar » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:08 am

I would absolutely attend a FBTB event in connection with LLCA's Star Wars days... If I was attending LLCA's Star Wars days.
MisterFubar

Postby Daz Hoo » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:17 am

Unfortunately, California is just too far away from my location to enable me to attend.
Daz Hoo

Postby GIR3691 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:55 am

I won't be able to go, but I hope it's able to happen and be a success. :)
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Pepa Quin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:18 am

That's the same weekend as Brickworld.

:(
"Stupid is a condition. Ignorance is a choice." - Wiley Miller
Flickr | Bricklink
Pepa Quin

Postby Chief » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:11 am

I reset the poll and added a fourth option: "No, I am not attending LLCA's Star Wars Days."

Please do not select "Yes, absolutely!" if you aren't actually going to Star Wars days! We're trying to get a real idea how many people would actually attend, not hypothetically.
Chief

Postby banthafodder » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:19 am

Yes, I will be attending. I'll bring the chips. ;) Seriously, though, if we could get a behind the scenes tour or meet with Lego execs that would be great? Having a commerative brick made would be fantastic. Maybe some special build at the event.
banthafodder

Postby Chief » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:46 am

Feedback for banthafodder:
-getting a tour of the park model shop shouldn't be a problem.

-Lego execs? No. Lego isn't directly involved with this event, since they don't run the parks. Legoland execs? Maybe, but what would you ask the Legoland General Manager? Just curious, because it's not an impossible idea, just wondering what someone would say/do at this activity.

-Commemorative brick: Legoland may or may not have one for Star Wars Days (there have been indicators recently that the commemorative Duplo bricks are headed the way of the Dodo.) An FBTB brick? We could certainly talk to one of the brick engravers/printers out there and work something out. I've had badges made for ChiefLUG before.

-Special build: a building contest is something I want to do for sure. There are speed builds, blinds builds, creative builds, one-handed builds. All sorts of fun games to play.
Chief

Postby SIMAFOL » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:54 am

I wish I could be there in costume. :( I'm on the other side of the country. Have fun everyone.
SIMAFOL
SIMAFOL

Postby Mos_Eisley » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:56 am

I'd definitely attend any FBTB event that was organized.

- I'd like to see a parts draft or five for sure.

- I'm sure we couldn't sell anything on LEGOLAND property but it would be nice if we had a place to maybe sell or at least trade stuff.

-Perhaps an additional discount from the park like at some of the other Cons. Scratch and dent stuff and/or an increased discount above the normal 10% offered to passholders.

-A private tour would be awesome too!

Jason
Mos_Eisley

Postby mr_joshua » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:24 pm

I am planning on being there. I was there last year but didnt get a chance to talk with many FBTB guys, just Ace. Nothing bad about talking to Ace (for the most part), just wish I could have stayed around longer to meet Ryan or any others. I will bring/contribute whatever I can...a case of beer, burgers/buns/brats...whatever.

PM me if there is anything specific you guys might need.

Josh
mr_joshua

Postby banthafodder » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:12 pm

Chief wrote: just wondering what someone would say/do at this activity

If it were Lego execs just mainly an ask Lego session about various topics and idea session about future products to provide our input, however since there wouldn't be any execs available I guess that wouldn't happen.
As far as the park GM was concerned I would like to know information on what it takes to operate the park, how miniland models or ideas are generated and come to be, stats on the parks, things of that nature.

As far as the badges/ bricks are concerned the badges look great and that is definitely something worth looking at. If we can't get those done I think that even having a decal made that we could put on our own bricks would be nice, too. But I like the engraved or printed brick idea best.
banthafodder

Postby King » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:43 pm

I am attending and already have everything booked. I would be interested in a tour of the model shop, a set draft, and any other meetup/meal options. I would prefer things where the kids and wife could be included.

King
FBTB member before 9/1/11? You get 3% off everything in my Bricklink store. Just PM me on FBTB before you order and note it on your BL order.
King

Postby Emperor » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:41 pm

I'm so there! Would there be any additional cost for this event on top of normal admission or for extra tours?
Brickshelf | flickr
theJudeAbides wrote:be prepared to endure untold pain and a little something I refer to as "blue shell rape." Enjoy!
Emperor

Postby J30spiff » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:57 pm

I would love to go if I wasn't over here in CT. I would have totally done this if I still lived in So-Cal. Totally miss that weather right now.
J30spiff

Postby Lemurman » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:15 pm

I'd be interested in attending.

B
Lemurman

Postby kelano28 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:33 pm

I would absolutely come if I was going to SW Days or lived remotely nearby. I hope it works out for you guys!
kelano28

Postby thepatient » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:38 pm

Ok, I'm going to take the plunge. I'm not across the country, but just a couple of hours away. I love doing things that the general public generally don't get to; so the idea of visiting the work shop really tipped the scales to go. It would be the first time I've gone to Star Wars days. It's been a long time since I've been to the park-at least a couple of years now.

I do have a bit of a question. Is this largely going to be about adult members? Should i come to this on my own or could i bring my kids too(8 and 6)? As bad as this is going to sound, if it ment missing a special tour, I won't bring the kids. My wife gets to go all over the counrty for her work, so she gets a little "me" time here-n-there. I haven't gone anywhere by myself since C4, so it would still be cool to go and just chill on my own for a weekend. Though I'm not entirely against bringing the kids, it would be nice to know either way.

Updates on any additional costs would be nice to know as well. I'd like to be fully prepared for an enjoyable weekend. If you would like any help with anything, let me know on that too. This could be a good opportunity to maybe give back to the site that has helped me in my LEGO hobby.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Next

Return to Community Features