Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

January's Chibi Fighter Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: January's Chibi Fighter Contest

Postby Blackninjatom » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:44 pm

I read the rule where the pilot and the astromech must be included, but with the eta-2 jedi starfighter, seeing as the official set didn't fit the whole droid, would it be possible to make an exception?
Blackninjatom

Postby Wash » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:46 pm

onions wrote:@Wash: it must seat at least 1 pilot. i doubt the arc 170 had three pilots. probably 1 pilot and two gunners.
after reading this i feel stupid, but do mean it must seat one pilot and 2 gunners or just 1 minifig not including the astromech?
Wash

Postby onions » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:54 pm

Blackninjatom wrote:I read the rule where the pilot and the astromech must be included, but with the eta-2 jedi starfighter, seeing as the official set didn't fit the whole droid, would it be possible to make an exception?

if the ship only had the droid head, it should fit the droid head.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby onions » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:54 pm

Wash wrote:
onions wrote:@Wash: it must seat at least 1 pilot. i doubt the arc 170 had three pilots. probably 1 pilot and two gunners.
after reading this i feel stupid, but do mean it must seat one pilot and 2 gunners or just 1 minifig not including the astromech?

at least the pilot and the astromech.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby onions » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:57 pm

Boyfromvalley wrote:
Boyfromvalley wrote:
onions wrote:must be new, no recycling past projects.

shouldn't too hard to convert that tie fighter into an.... interceptor? tank? defender?

Actually the TIE Fighter is one I'm still working on and have not yet posted it any where.

Sorry to ask this but is it still okay to enter my TIE?

i don't know what you want me to tell you. build something, and enter it. simple, no?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby onions » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:58 pm

Robzula wrote:Honestly, it's not really valid to say "That's not chibi, this is" to something that's hard to translate into chibi (like a starfighter) using something that's very animal-like and therefor easy to make chibi (like an AT-AT). The idea to make them chibi is rather convoluted due to there not being much precedent and the rules don't really make it much clearer, simply saying to make the ship small and "super-deformed" and the only person to delve deeper into that meaning was Legomancer, saying
Legomancer wrote:Essentially, the cockpit surrounding the minifig would be minifig-scale, but the rest of the vehicle would be of a somewhat smaller scale.

which is what all the current entries have done.

I'm guessing that for examples of chibi ships, you want something like Hasbro's Galactic Heroes line like these:

X-Wing and Snowspeeder
Millennium Falcon
Republic Y-Wing
Jedi Starfighter
Slave 1

ding ding ding! great examples there.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby obi-wan jimboski » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:38 pm

The Galactic Hero's line is one way of looking at this, the Kenner Minirig line could be another... specifically, the Imperial Shuttle Pod... essentially a scaled down version of a ship that will fit a normal size minifig...

Love this contest idea...
obi-wan jimboski

Chibi Falcon

Postby pmemmer » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:17 pm

Han is a little cramped in the Chibi Falcon... come to think of it, shouldn't Chewy be driving the Chibi? But he can't fit... too darn tall.

Oh well. Solitude is a lonely road, as is being cute. The Chibi Falcon's pilot must get used to both :cool:

chibi-falcon-cockpit by phil_memmer, on Flickr

chibi-falcon-side by phil_memmer, on Flickr

More on my photostream... http://www.flickr.com/photos/52288516@N03/with/5340950139/
pmemmer

Postby Chief » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:43 pm

^ YES
Chief

Postby MrCRskater » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:58 pm

Robzula wrote:I'm guessing that for examples of chibi ships, you want something like Hasbro's Galactic Heroes line. . .

This is what I had in mind. . .

Also, an ambitious project, pmemmer. Nice work!
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby pmemmer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:53 am

Thanks, folks!
pmemmer

Postby Legomancer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:28 pm

pmemmer wrote:Thanks, folks!

Awesome build, dude! I was hemming and hawing over how to adjust the cockpit for the ship I've chosen, but after seeing your tactic to get around it, I have renewed enthusiasm to finish mine. :)
Legomancer

Postby that guy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:30 pm

@pmemmer

Gorgeous.... XD
that guy

Postby KarolRabalski » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:38 pm

I was wondering if you could perhaps extend the contest a day or two...I have exams right up until the last day of January, and maybe others might as well. If not, it's okay, I'll try and find time to build it.
----like spinning plates---------
KarolRabalski

Postby bartosza6m » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:09 pm

onions wrote:
Wash wrote:

at least the pilot and the astromech.

I'm building arc 170 with 3 minifigs and astromech, and it's almost finished XD
bartosza6m

Postby bartosza6m » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:20 pm

KarolRabalski wrote:I was wondering if you could perhaps extend the contest a day or two...I have exams right up until the last day of January, and maybe others might as well. If not, it's okay, I'll try and find time to build it.

Man, I've got the same problem. I was home this weekend, and have no time to finish ship. I'll probably do it one day before deadline... all becaue of being a student...
bartosza6m

Postby Legomancer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:37 pm

bartosza6m wrote:
KarolRabalski wrote:I was wondering if you could perhaps extend the contest a day or two...I have exams right up until the last day of January, and maybe others might as well. If not, it's okay, I'll try and find time to build it.

Man, I've got the same problem. I was home this weekend, and have no time to finish ship. I'll probably do it one day before deadline... all becaue of being a student...

Count yourself lucky. I'm not able to bring my LEGOs to college with me, there's not enough space.
Legomancer

Postby bartosza6m » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:28 am

Legomancer wrote:
bartosza6m wrote:

Count yourself lucky. I'm not able to bring my LEGOs to college with me, there's not enough space.

That' what I said... I can only build when I'm home, but it's far far away from the city where I'm studying. And bringing here 100kg Lego is a serious problem for me...
Semester is ending and it's difficult to find time for go home and build something good.
bartosza6m

Postby sparkart » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:03 pm

bartosza6m wrote:I'm building arc 170 with 3 minifigs and astromech, and it's almost finished XD

<AOL> me too </AOL>

or should that be...

<AFOL> me too </AFOL>

Actually, I probably won't get the parts in time for the end of the contest. Can I add my voice to those looking for a deadline extension? Like until Valentine's Day? Serious, not trying to be cheeky.
sparkart

Postby onions » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:11 pm

sorry no deadline extensions.
onions
Founder
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds