Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

January's Chibi Fighter Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: January's Chibi Fighter Contest

Postby JYDZ28 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:12 pm

Here is my enty for the Chibi fighter contest. Rebel A-Wing Fighter from Return of the Jedi. I made a blue pilot, I thought the red one blended in with the ship too much and the green one made the whole thing look too Christmassy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53721392@N02/5329411540/
JYDZ28

Postby that guy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:00 pm

Ok, I don't mean to sound stupid or insulting but am I missing something with the previously submitted photos? They still look like near scale ships, not Chibi. Shouldn't they be ridiculously out of scale with a fig in there (granted the A-wing is much closer to what I was thinking)? We're talking Andre the Giant in a Miata and not Paris Hilton in an Escalade right? I plan on entering this contest but had something totally different in mind than what I'm seeing and want to make sure I'm on the right track...
that guy

Postby MisterFubar » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:03 pm

that guy wrote:Ok, I don't mean to sound stupid or insulting but am I missing something with the previously submitted photos? They still look like near scale ships, not Chibi. Shouldn't they be ridiculously out of scale with a fig in there (granted the A-wing is much closer to what I was thinking)? We're talking Andre the Giant in a Miata and not Paris Hilton in an Escalade right? I plan on entering this contest but had something totally different in mind than what I'm seeing and want to make sure I'm on the right track...

I was thinking the same thing. :S

Of course, I also had to look up what Chibi meant, so I'm not exactly an SME.
MisterFubar

Postby banthafodder » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:36 pm

Did you guys see the chibi AT AT in the MOC section? It may be more what you were thinking of.
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/186805
banthafodder

Postby that guy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:46 pm

Exactly what I was thinking of. Now we're talking Chibi. I would just hate to either go through the work or have someone else and not have it be anywhere near what it should be. Thanks Bantha for giving a good example.
that guy

Postby theone » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:46 am

I'm confused the MTT has no driver it's just a big droid (or at least you don't see the driver ) so doese it have to have one?
theone

Postby kyphur » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:58 am

theone wrote:I'm confused the MTT has no driver it's just a big droid (or at least you don't see the driver ) so doese it have to have one?

Well both official System Scale MTTs included a driver.
kyphur

Postby onions » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:46 am

@JYDZ28: please re read the rules about submitting photos to the this thread as your entry.

@that guy: you are correct. the at-at that banthafodder is closer to what i was envisioning.

@Wash: it must seat at least 1 pilot. i doubt the arc 170 had three pilots. probably 1 pilot and two gunners.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Boyfromvalley » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:52 pm

JYDZ28 wrote:Here is my enty for the Chibi fighter contest. Rebel A-Wing Fighter from Return of the Jedi. I made a blue pilot, I thought the red one blended in with the ship too much and the green one made the whole thing look too Christmassy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53721392@N02/5329411540/

Looks better than the one I made. Nice job.
Boyfromvalley

Postby Boyfromvalley » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Is designing a TIE Fighter allowed, because I've designed 5 types of craft using LDD but so far have only managed to actually build two and one of them I already posted here a few months ago? And I don't have the time or spare cash to start building any of the others.
Boyfromvalley

Postby onions » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:57 pm

must be new, no recycling past projects.

shouldn't too hard to convert that tie fighter into an.... interceptor? tank? defender?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Boyfromvalley » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:01 pm

onions wrote:must be new, no recycling past projects.

shouldn't too hard to convert that tie fighter into an.... interceptor? tank? defender?

Actually the TIE Fighter is one I'm still working on and have not yet posted it any where.
Boyfromvalley

Postby HappyStikBeaver » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:01 pm

Here is my entry: a Imperial Landing Craft, which seats an Imperial Guard.
Chibi Imprial Landing Craft by happystikbeaver86, on Flickr
Chibi Imprial Landing Craft by happystikbeaver86, on Flickr
HappyStikBeaver

Postby Robzula » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:23 pm

Honestly, it's not really valid to say "That's not chibi, this is" to something that's hard to translate into chibi (like a starfighter) using something that's very animal-like and therefor easy to make chibi (like an AT-AT). The idea to make them chibi is rather convoluted due to there not being much precedent and the rules don't really make it much clearer, simply saying to make the ship small and "super-deformed" and the only person to delve deeper into that meaning was Legomancer, saying
Legomancer wrote:Essentially, the cockpit surrounding the minifig would be minifig-scale, but the rest of the vehicle would be of a somewhat smaller scale.

which is what all the current entries have done.

I'm guessing that for examples of chibi ships, you want something like Hasbro's Galactic Heroes line like these:

X-Wing and Snowspeeder
Millennium Falcon
Republic Y-Wing
Jedi Starfighter
Slave 1
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby the zombie » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:13 pm

Edit: Sorry, I must have done something wrong.
Last edited by the zombie on Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
the zombie

Postby ted @ndes » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:12 pm

Here's my Chibi version of the A-wing. More views are in the comments of the first linked image.

ted @ndes
Alpha Male

Postby OOM-9 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:33 pm

Here is my entry I hope you enjoy. The MTT. Just click ME to see the rest of the pictures.

OOM-9

Postby onions » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:40 pm

@the zombie: please read this faq on how to embed images.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Boyfromvalley » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:38 pm

Boyfromvalley wrote:
onions wrote:must be new, no recycling past projects.

Actually the TIE Fighter is one I'm still working on and have not yet posted it any where.

Sorry to ask this but is it still okay to enter my TIE?
Boyfromvalley

Postby DarthNick » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:42 am

Here's my entry (and my first post on the forums), an A-Wing Fighter. Although it's not as chibi as I'd like, I'm pretty happy with it, and hope you guys will like it. It also features folding landing gear (which can be seen folded out in the second picture).

Good luck to the other contestants!
DarthNick

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds