Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Disney Announces LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Disney Announces LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean

Postby Jargon » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:36 am

Disney Interactive Studios has revealed that it's set to bring the swashbuckling world of Jack Sparrow and friends on a collision course with everybody's favourite block-based toy in the form of LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game.

Developed by Traveller's Tales, it's the latest in the LEGO video game series that's so far seen outings for Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter and Batman, and it's set to arrive alongside the forthcoming movie Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides in May next year.

It promises LEGO-ised versions of familiar stories, characters and locations from the Pirates universe and features "pirate adventure, irreverent humor and amazing creatures of the Pirates of the Caribbean films" across over 20 levels and co-op play.

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game is scheduled to release on Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, DS and PC.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/113/1135428p1.html

I suppose this shouldn't really come as a surprise.
Jargon

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game

Postby Staff » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:42 am

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean Box Art

So we all knew about the Pirates of the Caribbean license, right? FBTB broke the news back in July at the San Diego Comic Con. Since then people have been speculating about a possible video game. Well speculate no more as Disney Interactive Studio announced earlier today such a game. Teaming up with the studio that brought you the previous LEGO games, Traveller's Tales will bring all four films to life in May 2011.

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game will re-create the action, adventure and memorable moments of the Pirates of the Caribbean mythology in LEGO form, incorporating the humor of LEGO minifigures and fantastic worlds built from LEGO bricks and elements for players to explore. Players can take on the roles of more than 70 characters and experience the pirate adventure, irreverent humor and amazing creatures of the Pirates of the Caribbean films, through action-adventure gameplay and hilariously quirky LEGO cut scenes. Throughout the game, players will also have the freedom to explore environments from the highly acclaimed movie series in more than 20 levels. The game features two-player cooperative mode, in which players each control a character to experience the story together, and freeplay mode, which lets players return to levels to discover new items.

Disney Interactive Studios via Marketwatch
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2010/11/18/lego-pirates-of-the-caribbean-the-video-game/
Staff

Re: Disney Announces LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean

Postby Big C » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:46 am

FREAKIN'. AWESOME.
Big C

Postby CommanderKeller » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:40 am

mmhm I am happy to see this. I might pick this game up because I love pirates and it was just make it so much better.
A wise old man once told me, "Remember kid, there are heroes and there are legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid and you will never go wrong". Cookies for the reference.
CommanderKeller

Postby iamFLIP » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:06 pm

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=71748

In a companion release today, Disney Consumer Products and The LEGO Group announced an upcoming collection of LEGO brand Pirates of the Caribbean construction sets that will launch in conjunction with the video game and film release in Spring 2011.
iamFLIP

Postby twentythree » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:07 pm

Shouldn't there be a few sets being released in January and the rest in May to coincide with the movie just like Indiana Jones?
"I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
"What I told you was true...from a certain point of view" - Obi Wan Kenobi
"A lion, a witch, and a wardrobe walk into a bar...stop me if you've heard this one" - me
twentythree

Postby onions » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:21 pm

not necessarily. harry potter sets only came out in august or whatever with no january assortment.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby twentythree » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:03 pm

Well if there will only be one wave in 2011 then hopefully we'll get lots more in 2012!
"A lion, a witch, and a wardrobe walk into a bar...stop me if you've heard this one" - me
twentythree

Postby The Brain » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:25 pm

onions wrote:not necessarily. harry potter sets only came out in august or whatever with no january assortment.

Isn't Diagon Alley going to come out in January?
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby Draykov » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:46 pm

I think Ace is referring to January 2010 (i.e. there were no new HP sets leading up to the game, they came afterwards).
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby twentythree » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:35 pm

If Ace was referring to the Harry Potter game's release not being preceded by new sets then I understand his thinking. I was referring to the introduction of new sets based off a previously established movie series that hadn't yet been licensed by Lego. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Toy Story 3 all had sets introduced in 2 waves (early in the year and at the movie release date). Only Prince of Persia didn't stick to this pattern but I believe it had to do with the line being a less established property than the aforementioned. Pirates has been around for enough time now to be well known and obviously considered profitable by both Lego and Disney. Not having sets ahead of the new film could be a misstep by both parties.
twentythree

Postby The Brain » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:49 pm

Draykov wrote:I think Ace is referring to January 2010 (i.e. there were no new HP sets leading up to the game, they came afterwards).

This is true, but I was under the impression that twentythree was commenting on the lack of sets coinciding with the release of the new POTC movie (not the LEGO video game version of POTC), while the fourth Indiana Jones installment had sets released before the movie (iconic movie sets from the original three) and around the same time as the movie's release. The Harry Potter counterexample provided an example of sets that had only been released prior to the most recent movie's debut (not the video game), while there were none to follow it up/be released around the same time--I was simply reminded of the Diagon Alley set, and made my comment above. Just my rationale of thinking, but I totally understand if that's not what Ace or twentythree were getting at. :)
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby jomandybri » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:58 pm

For all the Australians out there, Mr Toys Toyworld has released pricing on the new PoTC sets. According to their website, they're due out 15th May.

They are as follows:
4181 Isla De La Muerta (RRP $39.99)
4182 The Cannibal Escape (RRP $59.99)
4183 The Mill (RRP $79.99)
4191 The Captain’s Cabin (RRP $24.99)
4192 Fountain of Youth (RRP $39.99)
4193 The London Escape (RRP $99.99)
4194 Whitecap Bay (RRP $139.99)
4195 Queen Anne’s Revenge (RRP $199.99)

I actually found this out through bricksdownunder.com.au, kudos to them for the heads up! :)
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Postby Marty » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:32 pm

As much as I like the idea of sets like these, I wish they had started with the sets from the first movie, ie. the Black Pearl, and the crew of the damned along with it's captain.
These would have sparked interest no-end. Has there been any release date for these sets or is it just an end of year thing?
Anyway it's about time, if not a little late, for Lego to start releasing this theme, I only hope they don't cut it short, like the Batman and Indie movies.
Marty

Postby Mofo Jones » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:32 am

IIRC, MB had the license for the first 3 movies, or at least the sequels.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Sarge » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:05 am

Marty wrote:4181 Isla De La Muerta (RRP $39.99)
4182 The Cannibal Escape (RRP $59.99)
4183 The Mill (RRP $79.99)

These seem to be from the first three to me. I almost expect a S@H Black Pearl.
Sarge

Postby Tyrant » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:26 am

I'm hopeful these turn out nice. It is going to be interesting to see how they juggle the ships. If they go all in I would expect a Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman (that's the one I want, with Davy Jones as the captain and the monsterous crew). I half expect to see a small set of Jack with his sinking boat coming in to Port Royal, or him in his small boat with the map to the Fountain of Youth. I don't expect to see the British ships (that would make 4 or 5 ships at least and I don't realistically see that happening) but Becket's flagship (don't recall the name) would make for an impressively large, and very well armed, ship. I just hope this goes over better than Prince of Persia and has at least a second wave.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Bricklink Store
Tyrant

Return to Licensed Themes