Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LifeLites Debuts Lighted Lightsaber

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

LifeLites Debuts Lighted Lightsaber

Postby Staff » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:36 am

Rob over at LifeLites Microlighting Products has created a new accessory seen above: a lit lightsaber. This is different than the light up lightsaber that LEGO offered before as it doesn't require you to press down on a minifig's head to activate it. The wire coming out of the bottom of the hilt connects to a compatible power source (sold separately) to light it up but despite that, this is great for dioramas as it adds a little bit more eye candy with a lit up blade. Blue is available right now for $8 a pop with more colors on the way.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2010/12/10/lifelites-debuts-lighted-lightsaber/
Staff

Re: LifeLites Debuts Lighted Lightsaber

Postby StoutFiles » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Yes, having a wire running from a lightsaber to a power source will look great in a MOC.

This is worse than having figures with batteries in them.
StoutFiles

Postby onions » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:59 pm

think of it as a building challenge on how to hide the wire and power supply.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby MisterFubar » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:46 pm

I was bored at work a while ago and looked into doing this, but I never found a power solution I was happy with. Having the wires come out the back really bugged me.

I will say this though, I would much rather give them $8 than to go through the labor of building one myself. I may just order one for the hell of it since I was planning on trying some of thier other lights out.
MisterFubar

Postby brickmodder » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Obviously its not the ultimate solution by any means, but good builders, photographers, and/or photoshoppers could make those wires disappear. ;)

Until you guys can find me a power source that'll fit inside the Lightsaber hilt, it's either going to have a wire coming out of the end that you can use on ANY minifig, or it would have to be permanently attached to ONE minifig and cost about 4-5 times as much to produce.

If you've stumbled onto a solution I haven't thought of, by all means drop me an email. I would love to hear it!

brickmodder

Postby MisterFubar » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:10 pm

brickmodder wrote:Until you guys can find me a power source that'll fit inside the Lightsaber hilt, it's either going to have a wire coming out of the end that you can use on ANY minifig, or it would have to be permanently attached to ONE minifig and cost about 4-5 times as much to produce.

I've got some very small batteries... but nothing quite that small.

Before I order and since you're here, a couple quick questions.
What size are the wires?
Is the blade removable?
What color is the light?
MisterFubar

Postby onions » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:47 pm

i can answer the last question. according to my chat log the light is a blue led. my educated guess says that the blade is glued to prevent a user from pushing the light out accidentally.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby brickmodder » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:23 pm

onions wrote:i can answer the last question. according to my chat log the light is a blue led. my educated guess says that the blade is glued to prevent a user from pushing the light out accidentally.

Right on the money Ace. This one features a blue LED. Other colors will follow and will most likely use bright white and warm white LEDs. Glue keeps the LED from being easily ripped out of the hilt.

brickmodder

Postby deco_droid » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:51 pm

nice try i guess, but yah, the monster wires coming out the back attached to some sort of coppertop sort of has a way of dulling the cool factor a glowing lightsaber minifig should have.

off the top of my head i would use a thinner gauge wire, drill a smal hole and run it up the shoulder of a generic jedi type torso (think jedi jimmy) so the wrists can turn, use the internal battery setup like the luls (good design and compact), and use a twist on/off switch in the head (instead of the luls push to light) and voila, you got yourself a glowing saber you can use for most any jedi. if you want, do a jedi torso and then a black robed "sith" torso version.

...you're welcome
deco_droid

Postby Solscud007 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:37 am

Wow cool except I already did this myself back in September.

One of my other hobbies is collecting flashlights. I have a 1.5 foot long fiberoptic attachment for a mini maglite that i can throw on to my Surefire E1B light. Its bright enough to light up the lightsaber.

I simply drilled a hole thru the light saber. and done!! But yeah you have the same problem of having a fiber optic cable running out the bottom of the saber.
Solscud007

Postby brickmodder » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:24 am

deco_droid wrote:nice try i guess, but yah, the monster wires coming out the back attached to some sort of coppertop sort of has a way of dulling the cool factor a glowing lightsaber minifig should have.

off the top of my head i would use a thinner gauge wire, drill a smal hole and run it up the shoulder of a generic jedi type torso (think jedi jimmy) so the wrists can turn, use the internal battery setup like the luls (good design and compact), and use a twist on/off switch in the head (instead of the luls push to light) and voila, you got yourself a glowing saber you can use for most any jedi. if you want, do a jedi torso and then a black robed "sith" torso version.

...you're welcome

Um, you're about 8 years too late. I did that in 2002 (yes, before LEGO did even). The switch, however, was located in the torso. See www.brickmodder.net for more details. So... *You're* welcome! ;)

brickmodder

Return to Star Wars