Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Smoothness

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

Smoothness

Postby Jabba the Taff » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:29 pm

I wish I could say the title referred to me and I hope this is in the correct forum.

Anyway, does anyone else sort of miss models with lots of studs showing? I love what LEGO are putting out at the moment but a little tiny part of me doesn't like the smoothness of some of the models. I'm a bit nostalgic for seeing more studs.

As an example, the use of this Image instead of this Image

And I suppose the curvy slopes are part of this. I love these, but part of me wants LEGO to be more 'blocky.'

Thoughts?
Jabba the Taff

Re: Smoothness

Postby Solo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:44 pm

I think the models look better with the new style panels, because even though it's Lego, it didn't make a whole lot of sense for vast surfaces to be covered in studs. The new version looks like a sheet with rivets. And we haven't lost the "old" style completely, it's just not used as much in visible places.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Jabba the Taff » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:57 pm

Yeah, it seems to be, looking at MOCs and the use of tiles etc, that most people prefer the smooth look. It's probably just me being old and not growing up with the widespread use of tiles. A bit of the ol' rose-tinted! I completely see your point that vast surfaces should be smooth.
Jabba the Taff

Postby Teekay » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:23 pm

I like the studs, but only in moderation. If models like UCS Star Destroyer had the studs visible all over it, it would not look good. I think that the smooth look is a good direction, but I am glad that there are still a few studs on most models.

~Sam (Teekay)
I don't know why I dropped back here again lately. LEGO can no longer hold my interest, and I'm almost certainly gone forever. Bye to all who remember me.
Teekay

Location: Haven't been on in nearly a year. Probably gone forever. Nostalgia brought me back one last time.

Postby meeotch » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:43 pm

The UCS Star Destroyer is covered in studs. There're only a few small parts that have the new "semi-studded" plates. But I think the studs look great on it (better than I think they look on the smaller sets) because it's so big that it adds greebly goodness.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Teekay » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:50 am

That's what I kind of meant. If it was studs all over, I think it wouldn't look as good.
I don't know why I dropped back here again lately. LEGO can no longer hold my interest, and I'm almost certainly gone forever. Bye to all who remember me.
Teekay

Location: Haven't been on in nearly a year. Probably gone forever. Nostalgia brought me back one last time.

Postby legoguy » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:43 pm

I like the smoother models better. They look better, but even more than that, they are easier to dust. :)
legoguy

Return to General LEGO Discussions