Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[SW] T-47 Snowspeeder

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[SW] T-47 Snowspeeder

Postby Brickdoctor » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:29 pm

I suppose I'm a little late with this after Ace frontpaged it :x
After a couple weeks of deciding to wait 'til Black Friday to get that windshield, I've finally completed it! It was heavily inspired by the design of Larry Lars, whose design for the nose and canopy are only slightly modified for mine. The one thing I really wanted was to do the wings in SNOT. This gave me a clean look and a ton of possibilities for the gun housing.
The first thing I did was build the wings, so I had a list of the things I wanted to have there. I wanted the snowspeeder to look very smooth yet angular, so I built it in SNOT. Then I added the greebles inside the top brake flaps to get some accurate detail in. For the guns, one of the things I wanted for my T-47 was an accurate barrel diameter. All the other designs use a combination of the 1-brick-wide and 1-bar-wide diameters, completely ignoring the 1-stud-wide width. Using that width did give me the ridges on the barrels that I didn't really want, but I think it was worth it. One of the things I knew I wanted to change from the norm of snowspeeder design was to do the cooling fins in the more accurate dk. bley and sloped angle. I was also really happy with how the lower air brakes turned out.

Finished November 2010, see more on Flickr.
C&C welcome!
-Brickdoctor
My Flickr
Brickdoctor

Re: [SW] T-47 Snowspeeder

Postby onions » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:33 pm

do you have a pic of the underside?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Brickdoctor » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:41 pm

onions wrote:do you have a pic of the underside?

Not yet. It's just a mess of clicky hinges and Technic at the moment, though.
-Brickdoctor
My Flickr
Brickdoctor

Postby errbt » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:43 am

Very original and well done take on a classic SW vehicle! As someone who' s attempted my share of Snowspeeder customs, I have to say I'd never considered using SNOT bricks instead of plates for the wings. The end result causes it to look a bit too chuncky from side views for my taste, but I can see why you'd be willing to make the tradeoff in order to obtain that amazing smooth surface. Your resulting engine/canon housing solution looks fantastic! The canons themselves look great as well, the cockpit seat is very cool, and I have to say that your harpoon gun design is the best solution I've seen. I might have to borrow it! ;)

Great work!
errbt

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase