Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Black Friday 2010

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Re: Black Friday 2010

Postby Jargon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:41 am

Smugness, no matter you're arguing, tends to make others wish you were silent.
Jargon

Postby mkoesel » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:59 am

Jargon wrote:Smugness, no matter you're arguing, tends to make others wish you were silent.

You know what though, your post comes off just a little self defeating to me. Just my immediate thought. But I feel like it reads no less smug to me than any of mine or lady_bricker's for that matter. Certainly there was a degree of self satisfaction involved, right?
mkoesel

Postby Zeus » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:28 pm

mkoesel wrote:
Jargon wrote:Smugness, no matter you're arguing, tends to make others wish you were silent.

You know what though, your post comes off just a little self defeating to me. Just my immediate thought. But I feel like it reads no less smug to me than any of mine or lady_bricker's for that matter. Certainly there was a degree of self satisfaction involved, right?

I think most of us reading the thread would say that your comments are troll-like at this point. I'm not saying that was your intention. No need to keep it up - agree that all of us are entitled to our own opinions and move on!
Zeus

Postby mkoesel » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:17 pm

Zeus wrote:I think most of us reading the thread would say that your comments are troll-like at this point. I'm not saying that was your intention.

Acknowleged. For what it's worth (probably not much, but I'll say it anyway) my intention was never to "troll" as if to start a flame war or to incite anyone. However, I will acknowledge that I elected to express some opinions that I had a fair idea would not be very popular. Although in my defense, the fact that I came under such fire for merely throwing out ideas without ever advocating anything, took me a little by surprise.

No need to keep it up - agree that all of us are entitled to our own opinions and move on!

Sound advice, and I've given it myself on other discussion forums on more than one occasion. Thanks for the reminder.
mkoesel

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:32 pm

mkoesel wrote:

Jeez man, you say that it's good to be quiet, and then you just have to respond to everything....
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby MisterFubar » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:44 pm

The Internet. Helping strangers argue about inconsequential nonsense since 1975.

Someone correcting me on that date in 5...4...3...
MisterFubar

Postby Solo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:44 pm

The entitlement issues that surface every time an "unfair" promotion is mentioned never cease to disappoint me. It's a lottery system: it's convoluted by design. Trying to exploit the system by buying en masse and returning the items when you didn't get the best discount or bribing other costumers to combine your purchase with theirs to take advantage of their luck is just sad (but the later sounds like an entertaining way to get yourself thrown out of a store at least).
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby mkoesel » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:52 pm

ThatGuyWithTheBricks wrote:Jeez man, you say that it's good to be quiet, and then you just have to respond to everything....

Guys, wow. Really? I said "Maybe" there. Hello? Did you even read the original post, or just what was quoted later by someone else?

Should I have used a question mark? Yeah, probably. Ok, definitely. My mistake. That would have made it more clear, sure. But I'll bet I'd still have been taken out of context. And what of the context, anyway? It's pretty clear there that that comment was with respect to keeping quiet about the better deals that fellow consumers out shopping might be getting if they had better educated themselves.

Not to mention, how many times have I said explicitly or least made the implication in this thread that, generally speaking, I think it's better to get all the facts out in the open and provide all the information up front so everyone is on the same page. Tough to do that if everyone is keeping quiet.
mkoesel

Postby Solo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:58 pm

I can see how that was misinterpreted, but the little jab was unnecessary regardless. TGWTB: I know it was a joke, but tone it down lest this gets personal. That goes for everyone. I see the mob stirring.

mkoesel: Your position on promotion rule clarity has been duly noted. Can we move on?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:18 pm

Solo wrote:The entitlement issues that surface every time an "unfair" promotion is mentioned never cease to disappoint me. It's a lottery system: it's convoluted by design. Trying to exploit the system by buying en masse and returning the items when you didn't get the best discount or bribing other costumers to combine your purchase with theirs to take advantage of their luck is just sad (but the later sounds like an entertaining way to get yourself thrown out of a store at least).

I can't speak for anybody else, but I don't feel "entitled" to more than LEGO is willing to offer. I just feel disappointed that they chose to handle this in such a chintzy manner, and feel that this "promotion" is far too lame and limited to begin to prompt me to make my way into their store on Black Friday.

I also wonder how clear the exact terms are made in advance. Had I not read otherwise here, but just heard the general details of the promotion, I would have gone in ASSUMING that the discount would be known BEFORE I checked out, since that is how every other promotion of this type that I have ever encountered has been handled, and doing otherwise seems so cheap, given the increased traffic and sales they are clearly hoping such a promotion will bring.
Mister Ed

Postby mkoesel » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:20 pm

Mob indeed, right? But yes, I am all too happy to move on. Consider me moved. :)

Of course if the pot-shots keep coming my way, all bets are off. :D

Solo wrote:I can see how that was misinterpreted, but the little jab was unnecessary regardless. TGWTB: I know it was a joke, but tone it down lest this gets personal. That goes for everyone. I see the mob stirring.

mkoesel: Your position on promotion rule clarity has been duly noted. Can we move on?
mkoesel

Postby Solo » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:46 pm

Mister Ed wrote:this "promotion" is far too lame and limited to begin to prompt me to make my way into their store on Black Friday
Nail on the head.

mkoesel wrote:Of course if the pot-shots keep coming my way, all bets are off. :D
Yeah... that's not how warnings work. You're just as likely to come out of this with a few days off as anyone else in here, and in fact more so with an attitude like that.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Draykov » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:10 pm

Shop@Home [US] is doing 10% off (orders $149 or more) and free shipping (on orders of $49 or more). Ends Monday, 11/29.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Puddleglum » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:11 pm

35% off the Galactic Enforcer and Troll Mountain Fortress are nice, but considering the number of BOGOHO sales lately (equivalent of 25% off), 35% off just isn't enough to get me out of bed and into a store on Black Friday.

The LEGO Store promotion is lame, but you know what? They don't need promotions, those places are jam-packed on your average shopping day anyways.
Im in ur flickr
Puddleglum

Postby slisa51 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:03 pm

Finally a great TRU Doorbuster deal. I just got the email that from 10pm-2am Toy Story 30070 Alien Space Ship will be only 1.99 down from 3.99 You know I've been holding off on this one because the price was just too hefty, but for 1.99 I will have to wait in line and hope to get one. Where are the real Black Friday deals like in years past. I remember the Mobile Command Center, Crystal Skull Temple, 4483 AT-AT and the Republic Gunship all on sale in the $50-$55 range on black friday. I wish I had a Meijers Nearby.
slisa51

Postby ufjason » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:34 pm

Like the economy, the doorbuster deals have been getting worse. They went from 50% with the Falcon to 40% with the Star Destroyer and troll warship to 35% off with this year at Target. I'm sure I missed some sets and tru doorbusters but basically the discounts have been going down. Conversely, the year round sales have been much more frequent with many opportunities to get more than 25% off of current sets which is pretty good imho. Also there have been plenty of times where you could double or even triple dip with discounts. Today's 50% off any one set at Borders was a good example. Too bad I couldn't find a hogwart's but I was happy with my Wampa cave at $22.50.
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby Jargon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:22 pm

mkoesel wrote:

It really wasn't meant to be. I'm just pointing out why multiple people in the thread have been turned off by your comments.
Jargon

Postby yakkotank » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:57 am

Walmart.com has http://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-Star-War ... e/15522374 for $99 - it's like getting Luke's Landspeeder free!
yakkotank

Postby UOldPirate » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:01 pm

Both the Thursday night and Friday morning doorbusters are available on TRU.com already. The City Road Rescue Garage and the Titanium Command Rig also qualify for free shipping. If you pay with an Amex online and spend over $150, you get an additional $25 off, so you could actually get a better deal without ever even having to move off the couch! :)
UOldPirate

Postby Morgan19 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:45 pm

I'm sure everyone'll be checking out the page if they're interested, but it looks like S@H has the first day of sales up already: if I'm remembering what the page looked like earlier, the new stuff is at the top and consists of My LEGO Town, Pizza Planet truck, Wind Turbine Transport, Wreck Raider, and the Front Loader.

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/cli ... Deals%252F

m19
Morgan19

PreviousNext

Return to Finds/Deals