Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Black Friday 2010

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Black Friday 2010

Postby Staff » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:23 am

And so it begins... It was my original intention to post this on Wednesday before Thanksgiving, but this year I decided to post on Monday so that everyone can devise a tactical plan for Black Friday. I'll probably repost this on Wednesday with any last minute changes. Kind of ho-hum deals this year, nothing beats the LEGO Star Wars deals from years past. Hopefully, some of you will find this information useful. Good luck and be safe!

K-mart

• BOGO 50% off on LEGO Atlantis, City and World Racers. Discount applied to item of equal or lesser value.

LEGO Brand Retail

• LEGO Brand Retail locations will be handing out scratch'n'save cards where your discount can be anywhere between 10% to 50% off your purchase. Thanks combattank.

LEGO Shop@Home

LEGO Black Friday / Cyber Monday

All Weekend:

• Free shipping on orders of $49 or more.

• 10% off on orders of $149 or more.

Friday:

Saturday:

Sunday:

Monday:

Meijer

• BOGO 50% off on all Star Wars, City, Atlantis, World Racers, Harry Potter sets. (Thanks Drock)

StarWarsShop.com

• 25% off all in stock items. No coupon code necessary, discount is automatically applied at checkout.

• FREE Peek-a-boo Princess Leia pen with every order.

Offer ends November 29th.

Target

• Space Police 5974 Galactic Enforcer will be on sale for $64.99.

• Castle 7097 Troll Mountain Fortress will be on sale for $64.99.

• LEGO Batman for Nintendo DS will be $7.00.

• LEGO Battles for Nintendo DS will be $7.00.

• LEGO Harry Potter for Nintendo Wii will be $27.00.

• LEGO Star Wars Minifigure Alarm Clock for $19.99.

Toys'R'Us

Doors open 10pm Thursday. Doorbuster deals on LEGO are good Friday 5am to 1pm.

• Lego Alarm Clock or AM/FM Radio - $9.99

• LEGO City 7743 Police Command Center - 30% Off

• LEGO Creator Family Home (6754) - 30% Off

• LEGO Duplo LEGOVille Fire Station (5601) - 30% Off

• LEGO Play and Build Remote for Nintendo Wii - 30% Off

• LEGO Power Miners Titanium Command Rig (8964) - 30% Off

• Selected Lego Construction Sets - 33% off. Discount applies to LEGO Atlantis 8061 Gateway of the Squid, LEGO Space Police 5973 Hyperspeed Pursuit, and LEGO City 7642 Garage. Be wary of TRU markup over MSRP on these sets as it will affect the potential discount. Sale prices on these sets are good Thursday 10pm through Friday 1pm.

Walmart

• LEGO 6166 Large Brick Box for $15.00. Pathetic.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2010/11/22/black-friday-2010/
Staff

Re: Black Friday 2010

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:18 am

This is pathetic. Only a few good sets on sale this year, not even a single SW! At least at Target and TRU.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby MisterFubar » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:24 am

Nothing worth getting out of bed for. Of course they could be giving out free Death Stars and I still probably wouldn't go shopping that day. Nothing like the holidays to bring out the stupid in people.
MisterFubar

Postby Mofo Jones » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:01 am

I might chance the stupid masses for a free Death Star. Otherwise I might not hit the morning crush if I do go out. I've gone shopping after the big push and it's kind of slow after that, but you have to deal with obviously shell-shocked employees.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby UOldPirate » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:04 am

Amazon has started offering some Black Friday discounts on sets too. They have roughly 50 sets with discounts ranging from 1% to 50%. Nothing to exciting, considering they're bumping up the MSRP like TRU, but probably worth a look.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=ty_blfr10_lego_33pct?ie=UTF8&docId=1000635581&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=1G6Q9KQC706CM9JEQ626&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1281592862&pf_rd_i=360960011
UOldPirate

Postby Zeus » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:03 am

Is it possible to buy the set early and then go back the day of (Black Friday) to request the better price? I would really like to pick up the Troll Mountain Fortress but don't want to fight the crowd for it.

Do people do this?
Zeus

Postby r4-g9 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:24 am

i was at my local tru in calgary canada, and they said that tru in the us will have series three minifigures for black friday!
(i don't know anything about markups)
r4-g9

Postby mkoesel » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:35 am

Would someone with experience be willing to explain the Lego brand store discount in detail?

My biggest question is at what point exactly you know how much your discount will be. Is it before you go to the check out, thereby allowing you to stock up on sets based upon the discount percentage? Or do they ring you up first, and then tell you how much you'll save? Supposing for a moment that it is the latter - then couldn't I shop with optimism and then just immediately cancel some items before paying if I don't get at least 20%? And if it is the former, how do they keep it from being abused? I.e. suppose the lucky 50% recipient simply informally announces to everyone in the whole store that s/he will be willing to be a proxy and purchase any set for anyone in the store at the discounted price?
mkoesel

Postby MShiels » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:31 am

My understanding is there is a $5000 limit on the 50% card purchases, so you can't go totally insane, just partly.
ImageIf near Mississauga, come visit us at 2410 Dunwin Drive, Unit 5 - your local Ontario LEGO only store - TRUly the largest selection of LEGO around
And out Bricklink store is http://Shop.LastingToys.Com
MShiels

Postby mkoesel » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:40 am

MShiels wrote:My understanding is there is a $5000 limit on the 50% card purchases, so you can't go totally insane, just partly.

Thanks for the reply - that was my other thought - that there was a limit. So is that $5000 before the discount, or $5000 after the discount which would be $10000 worth of Lego at MSRP?

Even with that limit, assuming you get the scratch card before going up to the counter to pay, this is still ripe for exploitation. Most people will not go in the store with any intention of spending anywhere near $5k. I would be very tempted to hang around in the store and wait for a lucky 50% winner to be found and then offer to pay them $100 in exchange for checking my purchases out with their discount.
mkoesel

Postby ufjason » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:20 pm

Just a sign of the times in our economy. The days of milk and honey are over. However, it seems target and tru have been very aggressive this year with sales. I can't remember a year where tru had so many bogo 50% and this is the first year I've ever seen a target bogo 50%. TRU has been aggressive with the gift cards with purchase which has worked well in double and triple dipping on discounts. I think I'll just be going to Target for the Mountain Fortresses, but I won't be waking up at the crack of dawn. If it's anything like last year, I can just go out at 10 am and get everything I want with a full night of sleep.
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby SDIronClaw » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:25 pm

Well that sucks....seems like the only decent deal is from Meijer. Which does'nt do me any good at all. I guess the Lego Store might be the best bet...and hope for a decent discount. I can not believe they dont have more Lego SW sets on sale.
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Postby onions » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:28 pm

@mkoesel:
there's more info in this thread on the lego black friday scratch cards: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4860

mkoesel wrote: I would be very tempted to hang around in the store and wait for a lucky 50% winner to be found and then offer to pay them $100 in exchange for checking my purchases out with their discount.

sounds like an epic waste of time to me.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby mkoesel » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:40 pm

Thanks for the info onions. It seems like there's a fair amount of speculation and hearsay in that thread, though I am sure some of it is fact as well. But just for example, its unclear to me whether the 50% winner gets to go and grab more if they wish by policy, or if this is at the discretion of the store, or if it is even true at all. The $5k limit mentioned by MShiels above is also not mentioned in that thread. Finally, there seems to be some conflicting information - one person said "a dozen 50% off for the whole country" while another said that their store alone had 2 or 3. Those two are not both likely to be true.

It would be great to hear from a Lego store employee or at least from someone who has (or at least can claim to have) actually been in store for this promotion last year and used the discount firsthand. It would also be nice to know how common the 20% off is vs. the 10% off.
mkoesel

Postby MisterFubar » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:47 pm

mkoesel wrote:It would be great to hear from a Lego store employee or at least from someone who has (or at least can claim to have) actually been in store for this promotion last year and used the discount firsthand. It would also be nice to know how common the 20% off is vs. the 10% off.

You could go old school and pick up a phone and call a LEGO store and ask. Chances are the employee you talk to won't have a clue either, but at least it will be clueless from an official source.
MisterFubar

Postby mkoesel » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:58 pm

Yeah, MisterF, the reason I hadn't tried that is exactly as you say - they will most probably be clueless like retail employees typically are.

My thought was that if some Lego store employee were to take the time to register and post on fbtb, then they are probably also an enthusiast and therefore more than likely will have done their due dilligence in seeking out the official information.

Perhaps there is an official place on one of Lego's websites that describes this promotion in detail. The veritable fine print if you will. I'll search around with google and see if anything comes up.
mkoesel

Postby mkoesel » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:37 pm

I searched and the best I could find was the November store calendar which says "See card for additional terms & conditions." That does me little good as far as planning ahead, obviously. One thing is clear though - the discount is meant to applied after the customer has already finished shopping hence the name "Surpirse Savings Day". Now, whether or not that will be strictly enforced at all stores is another question. Since Lego has no way to enforce that policy, my suspicion is that some of those cards will find there way into the hands of shoppers who are not at the checkout counter.
mkoesel

Postby WillyWampa » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:19 pm

MisterFubar wrote: Nothing like the holidays to bring out the stupid in people.

I love that line. :lol: It's gonna be my new favourite saying for the next 33 days.
WillyWampa

Postby vynsane » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:08 pm

The BF sales this year are really no better than the broader-scoped sales that have been at TRU and Target all year long. Wait until after the holidays - when the big boxes are still not 'in the black', they'll be starving.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane

Postby MisterFubar » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:33 pm

Anyone else get the "Brick Friday" postcard in the mail today?

Front side says
Visit SHOP.LEGO.COM and the LEGO store November 26-29 for exclusive offers.

Back side says
1. Exclusive sales and deals including free shipping with orders of $49 or more, only at shop.LEGO.com
2. 10% off ALL purchases of $149 or more
3. 50% off the LEGO Universe Game DVD

Then it mentions the 10%, 20% or 50% scratcher cards in the Stores and a big ol' block of lawyer speak.
MisterFubar

Next

Return to Finds/Deals