Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[USA] Lego Store Black Friday

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

[USA] Lego Store Black Friday

Postby combattank » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:30 pm

On the US Lego Store Calendar for November, it mentions that on Black Friday (Nov 26) you get a surprise savings card at check out that you scratch off to see what reward you get. Depending on whats on the card, you get a discount of at least 10% and a maximum of 50%. I assume this applies to the current order you are checking out. The ad also mentions the typical "while supplies last" situation. Does anyone know how many of these saving cards a typical store has? Like do they run out fast?
combattank

Re: [USA] Lego Store Black Friday

Postby Nannan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:24 pm

The discount applies to your current purchase. The cards won't run out, but pretty much all are going to be 10%. I recall hearing from a manager that there's less than a dozen 50% cards nationwide. That seems pretty ridiculous, but then again I never saw anyone get it.
Nannan

Postby Tar » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:46 pm

While standing in line for the monthly builds last winter, I was chatting with another parent who saw someone got the 50% card and loaded up on expensive sets, death starS etc... I think a 50% card would kill my bank account :)
Tar

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:35 am

Tar wrote:While standing in line for the monthly builds last winter, I was chatting with another parent who saw someone got the 50% card and loaded up on expensive sets, death starS etc... I think a 50% card would kill my bank account :)

Didn't you have to scratch the card AFTER you brought your sets up to purchase? I heard you couldn't grab more after you scratched it.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:24 am

ThinkingImpaired wrote:
Tar wrote:While standing in line for the monthly builds last winter, I was chatting with another parent who saw someone got the 50% card and loaded up on expensive sets, death starS etc... I think a 50% card would kill my bank account :)

Didn't you have to scratch the card AFTER you brought your sets up to purchase? I heard you couldn't grab more after you scratched it.

That would be particularly stingy of LEGO, if they really only have a dozen 50% nationwide. I kind of doubt they lose much even with a 50% discount, and the discount scratchers, I assume, are supposed to be increasing their overall sales in the first place.
Mister Ed

Postby Mos_Eisley » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:58 am

The store by me had two or three 50% off cards last year (I can't remember now which number the manager told me). For the 50% off card only, if you were one of the 2 or3 to get it, they would let you go back and do more shopping after scratching the card.
Mos_Eisley

Postby pacific493 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:46 am

No real surprise that the 50% cards are so limited. If they were more prevalent, entire stores could get cleaned out by people purchasing sets for resale on Ebay. At 50% off, you could buy expensive sets and make a nice profit selling them below list price.
pacific493

Postby onions » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:54 pm

pacific493 wrote:No real surprise that the 50% cards are so limited. If they were more prevalent, entire stores could get cleaned out by people purchasing sets for resale on Ebay. At 50% off, you could buy expensive sets and make a nice profit selling them below list price.

not everyone thinks about making a quick buck during the holidays.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby SonOfSolo » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:21 pm

onions wrote:
pacific493 wrote:No real surprise that the 50% cards are so limited. If they were more prevalent, entire stores could get cleaned out by people purchasing sets for resale on Ebay. At 50% off, you could buy expensive sets and make a nice profit selling them below list price.

Tell that to the people that have been out of work for quite some time due to the economy.
SonOfSolo

Postby MisterFubar » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:59 pm

onions wrote:not everyone thinks about making a quick buck during the holidays.

Most of them think about it all year.
MisterFubar

Postby Mister Ed » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:11 pm

SonOfSolo wrote:
onions wrote:

Tell that to the people that have been out of work for quite some time due to the economy.

More than likely they aren't the ones shopping at the LEGO store.
Mister Ed

Postby vincecult » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:21 am

from what i was told by a friend who works at the lego store is that last year they got 500 discount cards. 5 were for 50%. 100 were for 20%. so you have a 1% chance of 50, a 20% chance at 20. otherwise you get 10%. also this year, lego universe is 50% off on black friday
vincecult

Return to Finds/Deals