Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Who Are You?

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Who Are You?

Postby theJudeAbides » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:42 pm

The Who wrote:Whoooo are you? Who, who... who who?

In the spirit of new beginnings (and that classic song), I thought it would be nice to have a thread where everyone introduced (or re-introduced) themselves. Who are you? Where are you from? What do you do? What about that crazy username, where did you come up with that at? What are your interests? Think of this like the first day of school. While you may recognize a few people from last year, there are new faces as well (and some of those old faces have terrible memories ;)) Feel free to post as much or as little about yourself as you feel comfortable (remember, this is the internet and anyone can read it).

I'll start. As you may have gathered from my username, my name is Jude. My username started as a line from the movie "The Big Lebowski" in which Jeff Bridge's character "The Dude" (who refers to himself in the third person) says "The dude abides." I've always like that simple line for a couple of reasons. First, it has a nice cadence. Secondly, I like the simple idea behind it. You don't have to like everyone you meet (especially on the internet), but I've always felt one should do more than simply "tolerate" each other. To that end, I try abide others. What's the difference? Basically, "tolerating" someone essentially means you don't do mean or bad things to them. However, when you abide them, you treat them with the same dignity and respect that should be afforded all humans. How do you prefer to be treated: like someone who is simply there (much like a rock in their way), or to be acknowledged as a person like anybody else? I know how I'd like to be treated.
So, by simply changing "dude" to "Jude," I have a username that sums me up fairly nicely while keeping that same cool cadence that I like so much.

I'm from Minnesota, generally around the Twin Cities area (I prefer not to give any more details than that). I've always been a fan of computers, video games, and sci-fi movies and shows. To name a few of them: Starcraft, Homeworld, Half Life (1 & 2), Mario Bros, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Fringe, and Heroes. I fervently support Linux and open source while despising all things Microsoft (while I'll abide my fellow humans, I won't abide terrible bloat-ware). Such is the way of computer scientists.

So, who are you?
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Re: Who Are You?

Postby Jettbacca » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:56 pm

I am a 13 year old from Halifax, Nova Scotia and I like LEGO, Rock Band, and bands like Nirvana and Rush. I have been a proud member for 2 years and counting! Oh Canada! :)
In the words of Dr.Evil- "All I want are some sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!"
Jettbacca

Postby Firespray » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:02 pm

I'm still the same Firespray :P I've had this username for a long time now, I think the name Firespray caught on with me when I first played that Bounty Hunter game. That's when I learned that the Slave I was a KSE Firespray class ship and the word Firespray sounded cool so I ran with it, plus the Slave I is a cool ship :P I'm from Southern California, 18 years old, love computers, I'm a big gamer, blah blah, <3 Lego and Star Wars? :P I've been with FBTB for about 7 or 8 years now, first found the site when I was in 6th grade, registered on the forums and pretty much lurked until late 2005 just before the hack happened.
Last edited by Firespray on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firespray

Postby Jetrooper » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:05 pm

I am 15 as of today, from Indiana, US. I don't really enjoy LEGO as much as I used to, or Star Wars for that matter. But this site will always be one of my all-time favorite places to go. It has turned me on to so many other things. I would not have gone into site design or teaching myself HTML and PHP on my own.

My name comes from when I first got Star Wars: Battlefront. I turned it over and saw this great unit, the Jet Trooper. Now I don't know why I spelled it 'Jetrooper', but I don't care much anymore. It's my Xbox LIVE Gamertag, and I've chopped off the '0256' because it isn't really necessary.
Jetrooper

Postby bluemoose » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:09 pm

I'm Bluemoose & I have been for some considerable time. I sometimes answer to 'Ian' too :-)

I'm a lot older than most of the folk here (in my early 40s :shock: ), and I'm a scientist by trade; my field is advanced simulation systems. A life-long fan of LEGO, other interests include - photography, sci-fi (proper stuff, not tie-in), computers, movies, music (very diverse tastes), production design, general science stuff (it's a technical term, don't worry about it ;-) ). I used to play a lot of computer & video games, but I don't seem to have the time for it any more; I still do buy a lot of new games, but mostly out of professional interest & play them to assess the technologies rather than for pleasure.

Thinking about FBTB & Star Wars LEGO, although I love the original SW trilogy (not such a big fan of the prequels), my first love is LEGO. I'm a big fan of all things 'space' in LEGO, both official & MOC, but also like most other themes. I'm a founding member of the UK AFOL group, The Brickish Association, as well as being active/semi-active on a number of LEGO web sites & forums.

I've been a member of FBTB for a long time; I signed up in the ezBoard days, but was a lurker for a while before that. I was a MOD here for a few years, but I stood down for various reasons a couple of years ago. It's a difficult job, and I don't envy the current team who somehow make it look so easy !

I live in the UK with my wife (Julie) & our two cats (James & Vala). I also have quite a nice car ... well I like it anyway :-D

Ian

EDIT - 'bluemoose' - comes from a children's story my wife was working on a very long time ago; the story never got finished, but the name stuck :-)
Last edited by bluemoose on Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluemoose

Postby Jay » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:09 pm

Many will probably notice, I changed my name from Jayfo to Jay. I've done this for a few reasons. It is my name on chat, my name on flickr, and also because Ed didn't want me to change it.

Anyway, I'm a guy from New York who sucks because I don't like Battlestar Galactica. I like movies, comics and movies based on comics. Furthermore, I've been part of the online LEGO community for a few years (Joined FBTB in August 2005) and am an "okay" builder who likes finding interesting uses for pieces.
Jay

Postby Jettbacca » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:11 pm

Oh yeah, and I got my name when I was like 6 and my friends and I used to play Star Wars and we made up characters. Mine was Jettbacca, gotten by taking Chewbacca and replacing Chew with Jet. Ah, the good ol' days 8-)
In the words of Dr.Evil- "All I want are some sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!"
Jettbacca

Postby knapplc » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:15 pm

I have been knapplc since the dawn of the Interwebs. I'm still the same old lovable guy, too.
knapplc

Postby Jake » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:16 pm

I'm Jake, and I've been on FBTB since '05, back when I was 15 and a noob, hence the old "commander" moniker. That's gone now, but I don't intend to go anywhere, because quite frankly, I think FBTB is great. I try to be as active as possible, something made all the more easy by my rather empty university timetable and the fact that I'm able to outlast most Americans with regards to time spent on chat before needing sleep.

Over on FBTB chat, I'm known as J4ke, for which I blame some chap on Flickr who had the audacity to come himself Jake, forcing me to seek any alternative configuration of numbers and letters to avoid being CommanderJake on flickr too. (Incidentally, although it's no longer important, one of my pet peeves was when people would reply to "Commander Jake". THERE'S NO SPACE!)

I've been a fan of LEGO all my life, and of Star Wars since age six, which was when the Special Edition films were released. Despite Lucas's best efforts to turn me away from his pet Galaxy by filling it with unbearably daft characters, I'm still a fan, and rather enjoying most of the new Clone Wars series. I build in whatever genre I fancy, having been through castle, space, Steampunk, post-apoc, microscale and many more. Now I'm fancying cars and also Star Wars again, but mostly at mini scale. Despite not actually having a real collection of LEGO due to being at university, I've become acquainted with LDD, which isn't too bad. Yes, it's better than nothing. No, LDraw doesn't work on my computer.

Among my other hobbies and passions, I'm a fan of cars in general, and despite not being able to drive myself, I'm still fairly well informed, apart from technical driving bits or the bits that make cars work. learning to drive is on my list of Things to Do. Oh yes, I'm a fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels too, because they are a great mixture of fantasy and comedy, with serious bits sneakily added. Despite not ever having played Portal, I'm still geeky about it, although I'm geeky about pretty much everything becasue I am in fact a geek. Battlestar Galactica is awesome, by the way, thanks to Don and Ry and everyone else for making me see the light and watch the show.

I'm a limey to most of you, and a proud, stout-hearted and noble comrade in arms to the few other inhabitants of this gorious island who are floating around. And for the record, I love crumpets, but not tea. Nor have I ever worn a top hat and tails. Maybe one day...

And that, I do beleive, is me.
Jake

Postby Bly » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:25 pm

I was commanderbly42 on the old FBTB but I just shortened it to Bly for here. I'm a 15 year-old British immigrant to the US living in North Carolina (of all places).

As for LEGO, right now, I'm in a bit of a dark age but I don't plan on leaving anytime soon.
Formally commanderbly42.

Rainbow <3
Bly

Postby GrayMattR » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:41 pm

My name is Matt. I kept my name from FBTB 2.0 which is a play on words referring to the gray matter of your brain because I added the first letter of my last name and the horrible color my hair is going to be.

I've been a member of FBTB since 2001 but was following it back in the day since 1999. I haven't been extremely active in the last year or so do to the time constraints of life but I read most of the posts every few days.

The new site looks great. Great work.
GrayMattR

Postby AlternativeRadio » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:58 pm

Hi, I posted on the old threads as Jetman147. I changed my name because Jetman147 sounded increasingly noobish as I got older. Theres enough 'Jets around. Anyway, I'm a TFOL from Boston, MA and have been around here since around this time 2007. I've loved Star Wars since a young age, probably like most of the members here. As for LEGO, I haven't been as enthusiastic about it as I used to be, but this whole community is too interesting to leave because of a Dark Age.

Oh, and thick-rimmed glasses FTW.
AlternativeRadio

Postby Heady » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:12 pm

Hey All,
I was on the Old Boards H3D1, and the same here. I go by either H3D1, a variation of that, or by my real name, Henry. I've been interested in lego ever since the Episode II sets came out, but I was young at that time, so the only set I got was the little Speeder with Anakin and the Tuskens. I came out of a dark age a few months ago, when I rediscovered FBTB, and found that I had made an account a year earlier. (Smart me) As with Jetm-I mean AlternativeRadio, I'm a TFOL from Boston, MA.
I used to be known as H3D1
Heady

Postby yankeeken » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:20 pm

Hey, again. I'm yankeeken, you may know me from the old forums, as yankeeken and you can call me yankeeken, YKK, Yank or something to that effect. Anyway, I've been interested in LEGO Star Wars since way back in 1999, when the first sets came out. And well, here I am ten years later, still as addicted as I was way back then.
yankeeken

Postby Flynn » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:30 pm

I'm Flynn, and I joined the forums just last year at age 14. As well as LEGO and Star Wars, I enjoy retro gaming, particularly the SNES and Genesis.

I've been a fan of LEGO since I was four or five, when I got a Freestyle set as well as a small Adventurers set. I've always wished I could've been born in the late 70's, so that I could've enjoyed so many things when they were popular, rather then being singled out now for enjoying them.

My favorite films include Star Wars, The Secret of NIMH, Ed Wood, and Ghostbusters. My favorite Star Wars film is the first one (I am NOT calling it "Episode IV"), and my favorite LEGO set is the original Snowspeeder, closely followed by the Black Seas Barracuda. I also enjoy watching episodes of WKRP in Cincinnati and Mystery Science Theatre 3000.

I've been following the site since around 2006, when I found a review of the Sandcrawler on the site. I occassionally lurked on the forums, reading threads such as dWhisper's "Why did LEGO do that?" and seeing MOCs such as Larry Lars's Imperial Dropship.

My name stems from the fact that I had just seen the movie Tron when I joined, so my name was the last name of the main character, Kevin Flynn.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby BioNetik » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:39 pm

Anyone remember Black Dragon? That's me. I thought my old username was too generic and needed a bit of upgrading, plus it's my username on a few other things. However, to avoid confusion, y'all can call me by my real name, Sam, if'n y'all want.

In case my dialect didn't give it away, I am from the Deep South (Louisiana, to be exact), but I don't really have an accent. I guess you could call me an on-again-off-again MOCer, as I am not a very frequent or skilled, however this is mainly due to a lack of resources and time, rather than enthusiasm. :? I guess that's pretty much it.
BioNetik

Postby JackFr » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:08 pm

I'm JackFr for FBTB version 2. My name is a personal thing; since I was a kid, my name being Jack, there always seemed to be another Jack in the class. When I changed schools in grade 2 I, knowing that there would be a Jack there because of past experience, labeled all my belongings "Jack F". When I came into the school, I discovered that there was another Jack F in my class. My last name being Fraser, I gave myself the name "Jack Fr". It stuck, and it looks cooler without the space.

If you recall the 2007 election, I campaigned for Scitvs for mayor, and he came in third. I also entered 3 contests, with only one of my entries not disqualified for technicalities. I play Guitar, Drums, Bass, Piano, and Flute. I also play Rock Band 1, 2, every track pack, and GHIII and GHWT on Wii, and I play Expert Bass, Drums, Guitar, and Microphone
JackFr

Postby puffdaddy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:24 pm

Hi, I'm Ian. I was puffdaddy on the old forum....and that may be why I'm puffdaddy on the new one ;)

I have been a member of FBTB for quite a while now, I believe 4 years if I am not mistaken. Lately, due to personal reasons, I have not been posting much, but have taken to lurking on a daily basis. Now with the implication of the new site, I hope that I can get back into the swing of things and start posting again.

I still collect Legos, though I don't do much building of my own. That is another thing I am trying to change, I just find myself really busy. I am trying my very best to stay out of a dark age, but it shouldn't be too hard due to the amazing sets that Lego seems to be producing lately.

As I said before, my name is Ian, but most people refer to me as Puffy or Puff, I'm used to it, it's like an internet name to me. I am 16 and I come from a town just south of Saint Paul, Minnesota. I have many hobbies. Like I said, I collect Lego. I also play video games (like any nerd ;)). I mostly play XBox, even though I own a couple other sconsoless. My favorite games are Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: World at War (what I usually play), and Rock Band. I do play lots of other games however, and am a huge fan of Portal. If you ever want to play with me, my gamertag is "astonpuff". I listen to lots of music. Almost anything that falls under a rock category. Favorite bands include Metallica, Tool, 10 Years, Rammstein, and this list goes on forever. I'm a big fan of technology, mainly Apple products. I love my iPod and MacBook Pro :). I have also become very interested in history, mainly WWII. I like to watch movies, but I don't watch much TV, unless it's Top Gear, which happens to be my favorite show.

I think that covers the basics, I should probably stop typing now before I bore everyone ;)
puffdaddy

Postby Sci » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:27 pm

You'll never guess who I am. =P

I'm Sci [dropped the 'tvs'... not sure why. May see if that can be re-appended later] the space-faring, Roman, LEGO crazed, Star Wars geek that you all know and despise. =P [and for anyone new, well, you get the picture]

Loving the new FBTB and can't wait to jump back in.
Sci

Postby Veers » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:30 pm

I was General Veers, but I dropped the General. I've been debating with myself whether or not to change for awhile now, and this was a great opportunity.

My name is Veers because General Veers of our beloved saga gets to sit in At-Ats and fire giant blasts of hot laser-y death at rebel troopers. I enjoy lego, the kind of model kits that require glue and paint, video games involving large amounts of troops, books, and music. I have entered three contests so far, and received a total of one vote. If you haven't noticed from my MOCs, I have a love of armoured vehicles, the color bley, frogs, and soldiers in uniforms that aren't considered practical. I also like bipedal mecha (piloted by frogs of course).
Bureacracy: You have two cows. The government says what and when you can feed them. You are paid not to, and the government takes your cows, shoots one and milks the other dry. You have to fill out forms accounting for missing cows.
Veers

Next

Return to BCS 2.0