Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary

Postby batsamd » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:23 am

Found an Amazon link in a TheForce.net article concerning a LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary hardcover book coming out Sept. 21 for $21.99.

Unfortunately, there's no cover pic yet and no other data than this.
batsamd

Re: LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary

Postby Galagoo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:44 am

Sounds cool, but somehow I just have a bad feeling about this..
Galagoo

Postby deco_droid » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:58 am

hmmm... i'm interested, but 96 pages seems a little lightweight to cover 10 years of star wars lego.

i'll have to see it in the stores before deciding. i have all the other sw visual dictionaries, so i'm a target buyer.

:D
deco_droid

Postby Jon Vanneste » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:08 pm

I wonder if this will also cover fan community stuff. Words like MOC and what have you. Sounds neat, but we'll see how this goes...
Imperial troops have entered the forums! Imperial troops have entered the f-KSSHHHH.
Jon Vanneste

Postby BigBenKenobi » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:13 pm

I'm actually really curious to see how this turns out. Maybe it will be like the one lego released that had all the sets that were ever produced...who knows.
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:31 am

Dorling Kindersley has published a whole series of "Visual Dictionary" books. I would expect this one to be similar to those rather than LEGO's Collector Guide book.

Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary (no LEGO) is only 64 pages, as are the various "Episode 1: The Visual Dictionary", "Episode 2: The Visual Dictionary" and whatever other books in that series.

Also keep in mind that this is a children's book, so there is quite a chance that AFOLs will be disappointed if they expect too much. (However Amazon's rating of age 4-8 does seem a bit on the pessimistic side).
Gingerbeard Man

Postby LEGOscum » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:36 pm

It is a chidren's book, but there will be some AFOL focus.

BigBenKenobi wrote:Maybe it will be like the one lego released that had all the sets that were ever produced

LEGO has never produced a book like this.
LEGOscum

Postby thepatient » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:03 pm

LEGOscum wrote:It is a chidren's book, but there will be some AFOL focus.

BigBenKenobi wrote:Maybe it will be like the one lego released that had all the sets that were ever produced

LEGO has never produced a book like this.

Oh yes they have. The LEGO Collector's Guide. Well, not LEGO really. But this book I think is the one BBK is referring to.

I'm surprised LEGO hasn't advertized this book more. I know you can look at most of this stuff on Bricklink, but there is something nice about actually sitting back in a chair, and holding a book in your hand. I've got it and I enjoy reading it. Like going down Memory Lane? Then this is a good book for that. Its actually pretty informative on the rarity of sets, piece counts and production dates. It's about the same size as a standard bible or student dictionary.

My only complaints about it are; the pictures are really small and about an tenth of the pictures have a little guy with a bubble saying, "Photo not available."
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby LEGOscum » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:42 pm

thepatient wrote:Oh yes they have. Well, not LEGO really.

Well, which is it - yes or no? :lol:

I've had a face to face discussion with someone in LEGO marketing and she said that it was not a LEGO product. The book was not made with under license or with assistance from any LEGO employees, nor was it printed by LEGO.
LEGOscum

Postby thepatient » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:58 pm

You are right, LEGO didn't publish the book. It was done by a German publishing company. That's what I meant, but didn't go into detail. The preface does say (in the book) that writers worked closely with "the folks at Billund" in reserching the book and getting the material for it. So, LEGO helped some.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby MrCRskater » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:41 pm

Well, it must be a sanctioned LEGO product if it's offered on the S@H website. So despite the fact that LEGO didn't actually publish it themselves, for all intents and purposes it is a LEGO product.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby cloner95 » Sat May 02, 2009 1:11 pm

wonder what the exclusive mini figure is?
cloner95

Return to Star Wars