Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

FBTB: Flickr Outpost-Getting too unrelated?

We are always interested in improving our community. Got an idea? Let us hear it!

FBTB: Flickr Outpost-Getting too unrelated?

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:27 am

I've been noticing a trend in the FBTB group lately. Some of the pics in there just seem way too unrelated to be put in. So obviously, it's not just for LSW anymore.

This one, the guy got 4 pics of that one MOC. Is it really acceptable to have 4 pics of the same MOC? It's not even a big one.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ieatdinosaur/4991811503/in/pool-fbtb

IMO, pics should never be accepted when they have titles like "DSC023841."

I don't really like it when there are terrible MOCs/photos being in the group.

Once, I saw a pic that wasn't even Lego related, but oh, it had a stormtrooper action figure in it. :|

This one (and others). I don't really like seeing collection pics, but I guess armies/big displays are ok. I don't like it because it's just so little, it's doesn't really deserve being in the group.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50744850@N05/5087128216/in/pool-fbtb

Sorry if I'm sounding whiny, I just don't like what I see in there sometimes. I'm trying to improve the outpost, but I do want to hear what you admins have to say.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Re: FBTB: Flickr Outpost-Getting too unrelated?

Postby onions » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:38 am

we're not one to judge whether or not a picture is "good enough" to be in the group. our only criteria is that it is somehow related to licensed themes and that it does not contain advertisements. sometimes things slip by us but we're pretty good about catching them and removing them from the group. you could always message one of the group admins to take a look if you think something doesn't belong.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Chief » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:08 pm

For the record, I'm freaking hard-nosed about the flickr group. One, maybe two pics of a moc, tops. And NOTHING that isn't obviously LSW or FBTB related. But that's when I'm moderating pictures in the queue. I don't have time to go back through old stuff and weeding things out that other moderators have accepted. We just all have different standards. Maybe we need to tighten them up across the board. The flickr group isn't your gallery, it's the gateway to your gallery. If people want to see more, they can get there via your one or two pictures.
Chief

Postby Solo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:19 pm

ThatGuyWithTheBricks wrote:obviously, it's not just for LSW anymore
That right there is the core of the matter, we've welcomed licensed themes for some time now and we don't restrict the images to MOCs. We didn't send out a memo though so not everyone is aware I guess.

Is it really acceptable to have 4 pics of the same MOC?
Yes, but it depends on the photos themselves. If they all generally show the same thing they'll be culled. In this case the photos were all pretty unique and justified.

IMO, pics should never be accepted when they have titles like "DSC023841."
That's just a matter of opinion. People use Flickr to different extents, and if someone wants to contribute images without any special names or descriptions they're still welcome in the FBTB Pool.

I don't really like it when there are terrible MOCs/photos being in the group.
Well, neither do I, but that's a very subjective line to draw.

Once, I saw a pic that wasn't even Lego related, but oh, it had a stormtrooper action figure in it. :|
Mistakes get made and sometimes something like that (or worse, Halo MOCs!) slip in. If you see anything that you feel is out of place please send one of us a message here or on flickr and we'll take care of it.

[more opinions on what should/shouldn't be in the group]
We do appreciate the feedback, but the group isn't there to tell people their collection or photography isn't good enough. It's there for everyone to share.

Sorry if I'm sounding whiny
No need to apologize, just understand the scope of the group is wider than what you perceived.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:32 pm

Hm, what if I have a really good MOC, but it's something Western or Pirates?
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby onions » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:15 pm

it wouldn't belong in the outpost. is it licensed? is it power miners (the only exception to the licensed rule)? if the answer to those questions are no, then it doesn't belong and will be cut. there are other flickr groups to share those themed mocs.

but nothing's stopping you from posting it in our LEGO MOC Showcase forum.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:27 pm

I guess you'll just have to wait and see. ;)

Oh, and are these rules the same with the frontpage?
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby onions » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:37 pm

pretty much
onions
Damp Noodle

Return to Suggestions