Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Wars movies coming in 3D in 2012!

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Star Wars movies coming in 3D in 2012!

Postby Draykov » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:02 am

that guy wrote: Last time I check Kubrick isn't tickety tockity planning on sprucing up Clockwork Orange...

I blame mortality.

Even Lucas' good buddy Spielberg leaves his crap alone as I haven't seen...a new E.T. flying across the digital moon in any future plans.

Then you missed it.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby that guy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:11 pm

Draykov wrote:
that guy wrote: Last time I check Kubrick isn't tickety tockity planning on sprucing up Clockwork Orange...

I blame mortality.

Fair enough. :facepalm:

That never did stock Tupak though. :lol:
that guy

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:25 pm

Draykov wrote:
Even Lucas' good buddy Spielberg leaves his crap alone as I haven't seen...a new E.T. flying across the digital moon in any future plans.

Then you missed it.

Wikipedia wrote:Having become a father, Spielberg was more sensitive about the scene where gun-wielding federal agents threaten Elliott and his escaping friends; he digitally replaced the guns with walkie-talkies.

I don't mind attempts to fix problematic effects or improve scenes that didn't turn out as good as they could have done due to time or budget restraints. What bothers me is blatant revisionism, such as the whole "Han shot first" issue or that change to E.T. mentioned above.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby Tohst » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:52 pm

What bothers me is it means set focus will stay with the prequels until they finally get to episode 4!

-Tohst
Tohst
Staff Writer

Postby onions » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:12 pm

maybe they'll FINALLY MAKE A QUEEN AMIDALA FIGURE? OR A PADME NABERRIE THAT DOESN'T SUCK?
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby that guy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:40 pm

onions wrote:maybe they'll FINALLY MAKE A QUEEN AMIDALA FIGURE? OR A PADME NABERRIE THAT DOESN'T SUCK?

Would that include a J-type 327 Nubian royal starship on Coruscant featuring a wounded Padme AND Amidala standing over her? It's like a two-for-one. There may even be a way to make the starship's back end blow up with a push of a button just like the Endor set does (in 3D of course)... XD
that guy

Postby Tohst » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:16 pm

that guy wrote:
onions wrote:maybe they'll FINALLY MAKE A QUEEN AMIDALA FIGURE? OR A PADME NABERRIE THAT DOESN'T SUCK?

Would that include a J-type 327 Nubian royal starship on Coruscant featuring a wounded Padme AND Amidala standing over her? It's like a two-for-one. There may even be a way to make the starship's back end blow up with a push of a button just like the Endor set does (in 3D of course)... XD

That would be enough to make them starting with the PT worth it.

-Tohst
Tohst
Staff Writer

Postby Isaac5 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:53 pm

I loved the prequels when I was little, I hate them now, and I have been mad ever since i grew taste in movies.

he isn't helping that
Isaac5

Postby Drock » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:41 am

OMG that would be sooooooooooo hot n ph4t n k3wl
Drock

Postby Robzula » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Why do I hang out with you guys....
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Tyrant » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:02 pm

that guy wrote:No matter how you feel about it though, here you have a director that took a directly opposite approach to Lucas' approach back in the day. He supposedly waited umpteen years for the 'right technology' before making his movie.

If only he hadn't stopped at the rough draft of a script all those years ago and just sat around waiting on the effects. If he had actually worked on a script the movie just might get within visual range of it's hype. If it took 15 years for that, I have no hope for Avatar 2 (coming soon, unless Cameron needs a working AI or nanotechnology to make it happen).

As for Star Wars in 3D, I will watch TPM and see how they look. If they look okay, I will watch the others. I am hopeful that they have 2D versions at the same time (for a variety of reasons) and if they do I will watch V and VI several times. I'm sure we also have more "improvements" to look forward to.

As for changing the movies, I just don't understand the complaints. He isn't retroactively changing what you have already watched or the copies you already own. If he wants to continually rework something that is wholly his property, that's his right and I have no interest in depriving him of that. Unlike some other examples, these are completely his movies. Even if he made them into a total mess that I could not recognise, I still have my memories of movies that have given me hours upon hours of entertainment and created a universe that others have greatly expanded. His tinkering can't ever take that from me, or anyone else.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Bricklink Store
Tyrant

Postby Robzula » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:53 pm

I just came across an interview with Mark Hamill, and I think he made a really good point:
... it reminds me of someone who owns an elaborate train set and you only see them every six months but everytime you do his train set's slightly changed, there's a new bridge, new tunnels, new billboards and trees. That's just George. ... He will always, I think, want to play with it and make it better.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Isaac5 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:01 am

I will not see these, I have only seen Han shoot first, and I have no desire to see Hayden Christensen as a ghost.

although a 3D lightsaber would bee pretty cool...
Isaac5

Postby Blacknight » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:32 pm

fallenangel327 wrote:Lucas can't possibly make 7, 8, and 9 because then he'll be disregarding the Thrawn Trilogy, the Black Fleet Crisis, Dark Empire, and a lot of other stuff that Expanded Universe fans know and love. I doubt he would risk losing that dedicated fanbase for a bunch of little kids who probably can't tell Zev Senesca from Wedge Antilles.

You don't know Lucas very well. He just tossed out most of the Jango/Boba Fett EU backstory for the sake of one of his cartoon episodes. Lucas won't think twice about chucking all the existing EU when he goes to make ep. 7, 8 and 9 which are almost guaranteed to happen because an entire giant company's profits (Lucasart's) depend on them being made to generate another 10 years of merchandising profits. This 3D re-release is just a stop gap measure to prepare a new generation to see the next trilogy, just as the special editions were in the '90s. I suspect that about when Ep. 4 gets released in 3D, we'll hear the first rumors and then an announcement about the new trilogy. Which of course will be filmed from the start with 3D cameras ala Avatar.
Blacknight

Postby that guy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:00 pm

I can see it now.... Jake Sully and his clan take on the nether regions of Kashyyyk and it's inhabitants.......the ultimate conglomeration of megalomaniacs. Of course I pray this never happens (of course I know this won't happen) just like I pray he stops messing with all his great OT movies and his mediocre PT ones too (which unfortunately will probably happen).
that guy

Postby Drock » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:38 am

that guy wrote:I pray he stops messing with his...mediocre PT ones too (which unfortunately will probably happen).

Would you mind if he messed with RotS and included Ahsoka in the Order 66 sequence? I think that's something most want to see. Even cooler if Rex is the one who kills her. :lol:
Drock

Postby fallenangel327 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:35 pm

Blacknight wrote:
You don't know Lucas very well. He just tossed out most of the Jango/Boba Fett EU backstory for the sake of one of his cartoon episodes. Lucas won't think twice about chucking all the existing EU when he goes to make ep. 7, 8 and 9 which are almost guaranteed to happen because an entire giant company's profits (Lucasart's) depend on them being made to generate another 10 years of merchandising profits. This 3D re-release is just a stop gap measure to prepare a new generation to see the next trilogy, just as the special editions were in the '90s. I suspect that about when Ep. 4 gets released in 3D, we'll hear the first rumors and then an announcement about the new trilogy. Which of course will be filmed from the start with 3D cameras ala Avatar.

Well at least that takes care of that discrepancy... so what's the new backstory?

Why would Lucas make new stuff when he can make loads of cash off of stuff he hasn't exploited yet? (Especially when the 30-somethings who indulge in the stuff are more likely to spend loads on merchandise relating to that stuff?)
fallenangel327

Postby MisterFubar » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:49 pm

I think George Lucas should run for president. All of his fans would vote him into office just so they could complain about everything he does.
MisterFubar

Postby onions » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:44 pm

MisterFubar wrote:I think George Lucas should run for president. All of his fans would vote him into office just so they could complain about everything he does.

he doesn't need to be president for that to happen. it already is!
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby thepatient » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:32 pm

Have 3-D movies improved that much over the last couple of years?

Admittedly, I haven't seen Avatar or Toystory 3 in 3-D (only 2-D). The only 3-D stuff i've seen is Captain EO, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids and the Bug's Life thingy; all at Disneyland. Well... and the little scene from Family Guy: Blue Harvest. Though reallyI tend to avoid 3-D movies. It's not because of of the price of tickets.

It never seems to really work as true three dimensions. It always feels like 2-D bits stacked up on one another, and i never really notice any type of parallax. When something is supposed to "jump out" at you or seem very close, it always splits into images when I'm watching it. It all becomes rather distracting. People have told me that because I have astigmatism, 3-D won't look as good at the movies.

The best film I've seen in "3-D" was Titanic back in '97. The theater was so crowded, the only place to sit was in the front row and all the way to one side. (Spoilers ;) )When that ship started tilting as it sank, along with the harsh angle of the screen, I kept getting a slight feeling of vertigo. It was kind of cool really.

I digress though, the thing is- it has been a while. Did anyone ever have the same vision discrepancies with 3-D before, and now 3-D has improved over the last couple of years so that it looks better?

I will most likely go to see this version of Ep. I. My son will like it and I am curious to see how the 3-D will turn out.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars