Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Winner Picked: CubeDude Vigs

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Voting Phase: CubeDude Vigs

Poll ended at Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:29 pm

1%
16%
7%
2%
5%
7%
2%
5%
2%
27%
9%
2%
1%
14%

Total votes : 88

Winner Picked: CubeDude Vigs

Postby onions » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:11 am

CubeDude Vigs

After having finally secured a set of the 2010 San Diego Comic Con and Star Wars Celebration V CubeDude sets, FBTB is finally ready to announce it's next building contest: CubeDude Vigs! And guess what: you're not just limited to a Star Wars-themed vig. You can build a vig from ANY licensed LEGO line, past and present.

Challenge:
  • Build a vignette featuring 2-4 CubeDudes in a 16x16 stud area.

Guidelines:
  • This is a multi-CubeDude populated vignette building challenge. Meaning, you must have at least 2 CubeDudes and no more than 4 in your vignette.
  • Your vignette must be contained within a 16x16 stud footprint with no overhang.
  • Your vignette can be from any licensed LEGO theme including Power Miners. Non-licensed, non-Power Miners themes will not be accepted.
  • While there is no de facto standard on CubeDude construction, there are some commonly followed dimensions. Height is about 8-9 bricks tall. Feet/legs are generally 4 plates until they connect to hips. CubeDudes are 50% head and 50% body.
  • If you need inspiration on construction there are several resources available on flickr. Angus MacLane, the father of the CubeDude movement, has a flickr set with every CubeDude he's ever made. There is also the CubeDude flickr group. You can also do a general search for the term "CubeDude".

Rules:
  • One entry per person
  • Submit 1 picture as a reply to this thread. You may link to your flickr stream for more photos.
  • Add your photo to the FBTB: flickr Outpost photo pool with the tag "CubeDude Vig". You may submit as many pictures as you wish to the pool.
  • Real models using genuine LEGO elements accepted. Clone brand elements and computer renderings will not be accepted.
  • No graphical enhancements allowed on the submission image.
  • If your CubeDude design borrows heavily from another person's model, do the right thing and credit the source.

Eligibility:
  • Contest is open to registered members of the forum.
  • Entries will be accepted between October 1, 2010 through 11:59pm PDT October 31, 2010
  • Voting will occur in a single phase. The entry with the most votes will be declared the winner.

Prize:
  • This is a winner-takes-all contest. He/she will walk away with both the 2010 San Diego Comic Con LEGO CubeDude set and the Star Wars Celebration V CubeDude set.

Good luck!!!
onions
Damp Noodle

Re: Contest: CubeDude Vigs

Postby onions » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:15 am

Thanks go out to Angus MacLane for the use of the CubeDude name for the contest.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby JD4M » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:20 am

Fantastic contest idea!! Here is one participant
JD4M

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:24 am

Sweet! I actually made a cube dud awhile ago, so I'll surely do this! One thing I'm not too sure about, though, is that the winner gets both sets. Doesn't really seam fair to the competition, ie if you get 2nd place, you get nothing.

EDIT: gorram, I had a great idea for something, but then I realized it was never licensed... :'(
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby fartmouth » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:21 pm

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG
fartmouth

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:44 pm

onions wrote:
  • This is a multi-CubeDude populated vignette building challenge. Meaning, you must have at least 2 CubeDudes and no more than 4 in your vignette.
  • Your vignette can be from any licensed LEGO theme including Power Miners. Non-licensed, non-Power Miners themes will not be accepted.

I assume mixing themes is allowed?

E.g. one Harry Potter Dude and one Indiana Jones Dude together in the same vignette, or a Power Miner and Batman, or any other such combination.
As long as there are 2-4 CubeDudes in the vignette and each is from a licensed theme (or Power Miners).
Gingerbeard Man

Postby onions » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:46 pm

ThatGuyWithTheBricks wrote:Sweet! I actually made a cube dud awhile ago, so I'll surely do this! One thing I'm not too sure about, though, is that the winner gets both sets. Doesn't really seam fair to the competition, ie if you get 2nd place, you get nothing.

EDIT: gorram, I had a great idea for something, but then I realized it was never licensed... :'(

so many responses, but here's three that don't seem so snarky:

- well hell let's give out prizes for everyone then no matter how you do.
- want more prizes? you pay for them then
- you know when you were you younger, or maybe for some of you, right now, you know when you go to some high schools and you go their gym and look up at all the championship banners they put up for winning their conference in whatever sport, like say volleyball or basketball? you know what you don't see? banners for coming in second.

Gingerbeard Man wrote:I assume mixing themes is allowed?

E.g. one Harry Potter Dude and one Indiana Jones Dude together in the same vignette, or a Power Miner and Batman, or any other such combination.
As long as there are 2-4 CubeDudes in the vignette and each is from a licensed theme (or Power Miners).

no it's not allowed.

"Your vignette can be from any licensed LEGO theme including Power Miners. Non-licensed, non-Power Miners themes will not be accepted." the vignette as a whole must be a single theme and not a collection of themes.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Solo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:57 pm

Those were still pretty darn snarky Ace.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby MrCRskater » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:13 pm

It seems the implication is that the cubedudes and vignette must be derived from an EXISTING (past or present) licensed theme, such as Star Wars, Spongebob, etc. But just to be sure: are hypothetical themes (that would obviously be licensed, if existent) allowed, such as LotR, Marvel Comics, etc.?
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby onions » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:34 pm

were they? :( ugh. just having a bad day. sorry.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby onions » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:35 pm

MrCRskater wrote:It seems the implication is that the cubedudes and vignette must be derived from an EXISTING (past or present) licensed theme, such as Star Wars, Spongebob, etc. But just to be sure: are hypothetical themes (that would obviously be licensed, if existent) allowed, such as LotR, Marvel Comics, etc.?

op wrote:You can build a vig from ANY licensed LEGO line, past and present.

and

op wrote:Your vignette can be from any licensed LEGO theme including Power Miners. Non-licensed, non-Power Miners themes will not be accepted

key word licensed, past tense, as in having already existed.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:47 pm

Power Miners is licensed?
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby Pro/E Jedi » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:06 pm

I'm a little confused as to what exactly constitutes a "licensed" theme. I get Star Wars, Prince of Persia, etc. But who owned the rights to Power Miners? Isn't that a LEGO original? Are we essentially saying any official LEGO theme, past or present? Thanks in advance for the clarification, and for the fun contest. I hope to place a little higher in this one... :facepalm:
I'm big in Japan.
Pro/E Jedi

Postby onions » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:18 pm

The Power Miner's theme is FBTB's lovechild of a theme. We <3'ed it so much we created an April Fool's Joke event around it and even maintain a site theme around it (From Bombs To Boulders). So we decided to throw that into the mix as a vignette possibility.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Chief » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:19 pm

Power Miners is the one exception to the licensed rule, because Power Miners are AWESOME.
Chief

Postby Pro/E Jedi » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:34 pm

So no Exo-Force, then? Ice Planet? It has to be a licensed theme, or Power Miners? The previous posts make sense now :D
I'm big in Japan.
Pro/E Jedi

Postby onions » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:02 pm

Chief wrote:Power Miners is the one exception to the licensed rule, because Power Miners are AWESOME.

yeah too bad that last wave sucked to high heaven. RIP Power Miners. Thou shall be missed.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:26 pm

Cool Contest! i'll definitely try to enter! I have one question though, and I hope I wont be punished with a heap of snarky comments for asking it: Can we make CubeDudes of characters from our chosen license that have not been made into minifigs?
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby Solo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:27 pm

Yes.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:16 pm

Sweet! I've already practically finished my first dude and vig! It's something I've already done before.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Next

Return to Contests & Community Builds