Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

AFOL percentage of total customers?

A Member of LEGO Company's staff drops in here from time to time to answer questions from LEGO fans like you.

AFOL percentage of total customers?

Postby combattank » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:29 am

Out of all of Lego's consumers, what percentage does Lego believe are Adult Fans of Lego (AFOL)?

I was wondering cause Lego sometimes releases products that are geared towards adults more than kids. The main product line I am thinking about are the Ultimate Collector Series Star Wars sets which tend to have tons of pieces. These sets also have less expensive counterparts designed more for kids since they have less pieces and have higher playability. There are also a lot of collector items released which have price points that are high enough that I doubt parents would buy for their kids (like the ones at Comic Con).
combattank

Re: AFOL percentage of total customers?

Postby Master Fetty » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:12 am

I'm willing to bet a lot smaller than everyone on here thinks.
Master Fetty

Postby fredjh » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:43 am

fredjh

Postby banthafodder » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:21 pm

Even though the actual number of AFOLs is low compared to other demographics, the amount spend on lego, I assume, would be a higher percentage thus the UCS sets. Even though it's 5% of the market the profit from AFOLs would be significantly higher. It is according to my wallet :S
banthafodder

Postby fredjh » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:11 pm

"...a little under 5% of the LEGO sales come from adults who buy bricks for themselves."

So, I guess the stat I quoted is not quite right... (doesn't answer the actual question of what percent of customers). 5% of SALES from AFOLs. Now you're going to ask if it's the percentage of items, or percentage of dollars... I don't know. I suppose % of sales means how much of their money comes from AFOLs.
fredjh

Postby MisterFubar » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:39 pm

Master Fetty wrote:I'm willing to bet a lot smaller than everyone on here thinks.

This.

For every one of us that spends thousands a year on LEGO, there are thousands of kids that get a set or two or more.
MisterFubar

Postby gomek » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:54 am

Even though the actual number of AFOLs is low compared to other demographics, the amount spend on lego, I assume, would be a higher percentage thus the UCS sets. Even though it's 5% of the market the profit from AFOLs would be significantly higher. It is according to my wallet

This

I've been collecting non-stop since the mid seventies (yes, that makes me old), and I've definitely seen a change in the way Lego has marketed their product. I remember speaking to an AFOL in the 90's who had visited with the Lego company. He basically said they were interested in what and why he was purchasing, but he still felt that there was a perception within the company (or at least with the people he saw) that AFOLs were a little off their rockers.

I think it's pretty clear with the amount of $150 plus sets and licensing, the TLG is actively pursuing the AFOL market as well as the collectable market. LotR was definitely not going to be happening in the 70's, 80's or 90's. So while they may or may not still have that perception, at least they are catering to that market.

and oh yeah... I definitely spend easily 20 to 30 times more on lego than, per se, my pre-teen cousins. So I do kind of expect to be catered to a little.
gomek

Return to Ask LEGO