Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[Star Wars] MOC Instructions

We are always interested in improving our community. Got an idea? Let us hear it!

[Star Wars] MOC Instructions

Postby Warmaster » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:23 pm

In this topic i want to collect all the Star Wars MOC instructions that are flooting around on the internet. I made a collection of all the MOC instructions that i have collected so far. Non of these are made by me, but i got them all of public folders that were on Brickshelf, ect, etc. Please do not use this topic to discuss them (open a new one to keep this one clean), only use this topic to fill it with other MOC instructions. Put in 1 Picture of the MOC you made or found and the link where the instructions can be found. Mayby this topic could be become a "sticky"?

edited by Chief:
See my post below for a ideas on how we can better support this idea.
Warmaster

Re: [Star Wars] MOC Instructions

Postby Solo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:45 pm

The MOC Showcase section is more for things that you've personally built (even if you used someone else's instructions). Feel free to show off that sort of thing, but we don't need a database thread for MOCs with instructions.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Legostein » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:59 pm

Hello there,

as honourable your idea might be, I can not appreciate it. You post images on that site without credit which are not yours. None of them. Many of the models are mine, and I know the builders of the other ones personally as well. It is not in my interest to have a second platform for my creations over at your image hosting account, and I highly doubt the other builders of whom you - let's say "borrowed" - the images would be happy about it. So I'd highly recommend to remove all stuff from there. Why don't you come over here and start building. Here are many people who will offer a hand creating instructions and publishing instructions of your own stuff.

With best greetings,

Chris Deck
Legostein

Postby Chief » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:03 pm

I unlocked this for Chris to say his side of the issue, and for me to drop a couple thoughts:

Let's talk about this idea a bit more before jumping in with both feet.
-First off, this could have been posted in suggestions as a possible forum idea. We did, after all, once have an instruction gallery on the main page.
-Secondly, let's think about crediting the original builders.

also, *moved* to Suggestions
Chief

Postby Warmaster » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:44 pm

I collected al the instructions because now they were scattered all over the internet. I had the instructions stored on my computer and i don't even know were to look for them on the internet if i would need them, and i guesed that other people had the same problem, that way i put them all on one photobucket page. Most of these MOC's i have build my self, and when people ask me were they can get the instructions so they also can start building them, i don't know were in the Brickshelf i had to look to find them again. Hopefully we get an instruction gallery back on the main page or this forum.

As for this topic, feel free to delete it.
Warmaster

Postby onions » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:36 am

It's called "bookmarking".

or delicious.com
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby theJudeAbides » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:34 am

You know, I've thought about this problem myself. With so many different image hosting sites, people with personal web pages, etc... its almost impossible to keep track. The knee-jerk reaction has always been "use bookmarks," but if one were to bookmark every notable MOC out there, it would defeat the purpose of having bookmarks due to the tremendous numbers involved.

Personally, I think a Wiki-type solution would be best (although it shouldn't necessarily be editable by anyone). Basically, each ship/vehicle in the Star Wars universe would have it's own page, although pages would be created as needs arise rather than having them all created ahead of time. This has the effect of limiting the MOCs to those based of "real" ships within the universe. While, non-"real" MOCs have there place, it wouldn't really fit the site. On each page, there would be a list of MOCs about the given vehicle and divided by scale (MINI, system, UCS, other). Each list item would consist of a thumbnail, a brief description (if needed), and the MOCer's name/username. Each list item would link to a page with a single large picture (preferrably a 3/4 angle shot), Instructions (which should all be converted to PDF format), and ldraw files.

Of course, the natural question of rights/permissions is bound to come up. Before a MOC can be posted, the creator must must consent and agree to a GPL-like agreement (adapted for LEGO). For those unfamiliar with this, it is an agreement commonly used by open-source software creators which give others the rights to use, modify, and re-distribute the source code. In LEGO terms, this would mean that the MOC creator is releasing the MOC (pictures and/or instructions) for others to use, modify, and re-distribute.

This means that for older MOCs, one would have to contact the original creator of the MOC and get permission. Of course, MOCer's could also volunteer their work. I think initially, it would be a lot of work since only a few people would know and care about it. However, I think after a while it would grow in size and popularity and hopefully get to the point where we would no longer need to hassle others about submitting their MOCs.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Clonecommando007 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:26 pm

I think that an index for Star Wars instructions is a great idea, however, like Legostein points out, hosting other people's files in your own folder is almost plagurism. If an index were created to link back to the original folder or page that contains the instructions, and proper credit were given to the poster of the instructions, than I would be all for it, but putting a collection of pictures on brickshelf if definantly not the way.

If FBTB were to open an instructions section on the main page, I think it would add heaps to the site. :)
Visit the Clone Army Builders Guild - http://www.TheCABG.net
Clonecommando007

Postby Legostein » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:25 am

Hello again,

let me quickly make a statement and a suggestion. Holding a stand-alone site these days is more rare. It is a lot of work to maintain it. Site owners like me and others surely don't do all this work only to find our complete contents hosted on an image sharing platform. Like the comment made before, I could imagine a simple and plain linklist in alphabetical order. Let me give an example:

[A]

AAT (UCS scale) - by Reto Geiger - Click here for instructions

[P]

Porax-38 Starfighter (MINI scale) - by Chris Deck Click here for instructions

and so on. An easy and efficient way to collect instructions.

All the best,

~ Chris
Legostein

Postby onions » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:50 pm

Legostein wrote:Hello again,

let me quickly make a statement and a suggestion. Holding a stand-alone site these days is more rare. It is a lot of work to maintain it. Site owners like me and others surely don't do all this work only to find our complete contents hosted on an image sharing platform. Like the comment made before, I could imagine a simple and plain linklist in alphabetical order. Let me give an example:

[A]

AAT (UCS scale) - by Reto Geiger - Click here for instructions

[P]

Porax-38 Starfighter (MINI scale) - by Chris Deck Click here for instructions

and so on. An easy and efficient way to collect instructions.

All the best,

~ Chris

now THIS is a great idea.
onions
Damp Noodle

Return to Suggestions