Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[Star Wars] Clone Wars Era Update - 4 new MINI Models!

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[Star Wars] Clone Wars Era Update - 4 new MINI Models!

Postby Legostein » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:50 am

Hello dear community!

It's my pleasure to announce a bigger than usual update today, mainly to celebrate the new forums. :D

The followig four vessels all belong in the Clone Wars era, having one from Attack of the Clones, one from the Clone Wars first TV series, one from the Clone Wars animated movie, and finally one from Revenge of the Sith. This means - no expanded universe stuff. ;)

First, we have the infamous Low Altitude Assault Transport, also known as simply Republic Gunship. This representation is very tiny, only being one stud wide. Nonetheless it features details like guns, rockets, cockpits, open troop compartment etc. :)

Republic Gunship (Click for larger photos)

Second for today is the Trident, the tentacled ship from the opening scene of the animated Clone Wars movie. It's again a ship with not much screen time, but these ships also get their chance to be bricked although this is a very simple and straight forward design.

The Trident (Click for larger photos)

Appearing in both, the first Clone Wars TV series, and the Clone Wars animated movie, the Octuptarra Combat Tri-Droid is another weird battle droid design. It's also quite simple, and it uses two triangular Technic hubs, very useful pieces for triangular stuff.

Octuptarra Combat Tri-Droid (Click for larger photos)

The last model for today is the Corporate Alliance Tank Droid, which appears druing the Battle of Kashyyyk in Revenge of the Sith. Unlike TLC's never released version, this one features real treads, and is a quite tricky design when you have a close look at the instructions. There is a fair number of building tricks in it to get it symmetrical and it also features what I call the "unconventional sliding connection". ;)

Corporate Alliance Tank Droid (Click for larger photos)

That's it for this week-end. Thank you for your time and interest! Have a good next week!

Yours Christopher
Legostein

Re: [Star Wars] Clone Wars Era Update - 4 new MINI Models!

Postby Jake » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:32 pm

Great stuff! The tiny gunship is very well done, that new 1x4 slope really came in useful I see. I love the octuparra, really great design there. The tank droid is great too, nice use of the chainsaw pieces for the side treads.
Jake

Postby SkwerlJones » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:56 pm

That is some stellar work, Chris! I love how you made the Gunship. Usually I'm not a fan of the kind of connections you used for the wings, but it works well here. All of your other creations are fantastically made and put together.
*runs off to build all of your mini Clones Wars models to put in a massive diorama*
They're all wasted!
SkwerlJones

Postby Legostein » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:07 am

Thank you both. :) Personally, I don't like the wing connection with clip plates either. It is the first time I've done this, and I really usually avoid this. The connection just doesn't feel right. But for a tiny one-wide model I saw no other possibitly at that time.

Thanks and cheers,

~ Chris
Legostein

Postby Dunechaser » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:15 pm

The Tank Droid is particularly brilliant. The Technic chain you used for the tread is perfect.
Dunechaser

Postby Blackninjatom » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:40 am

That gunship must have to have a small nose art sticker. XD I agree that the tank droid is genius, and can only imagine the difficulty you had designing it.
Blackninjatom

Postby roguebantha » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:01 am

Fantastic.
Both the Gunship and Snail droids are real masterpieces of design. Once again that chainsaw piece finds a new roll, perfect as a tread.
roguebantha

Postby Big C » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:16 am

Chris, you will ALWAYS be the Mini Master. Well done once again, my friend.
Big C

Postby liquidcross » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:41 am

Whoa, those are incredible! Especially the gunship. I'm going to have to build my own! :D
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby Marf » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:11 am

Awesome work these are awesome I saw them on TBB and I just had to reply. As Big C said you are the Mini Master (you and rougebantha lol) Great job on these I'll expect more great creations from you :D
---Josh---
(]HHHHH*H[:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Marf

Postby liquidcross » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:41 pm

What we need is a Legostein vs. roguebantha MINI Battle Royale. The best part? Everybody wins. :D
liquidcross

Postby Jedd the Jedi » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:19 am

Ah, I absolutely agree with liquidcross. The two mini masters with the different styles duke it out in grand fashion.

My favourite of this bout has to be the corporate alliance tank droid. It's adorable but looks a fair bit like it's movie counterpart. I like the Octuptarra Tri-droid as well, marvellous work on the head. Still, I think the legs might be a mite too long, but that's mini scale for you.
Jedd the Jedi

Postby Legostein » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:18 pm

Thank you once again everyone for the nice comments! It is my pleasure to serve the community. :) I hope I can keep posting up while my real-life studies approach their end, but I am sure there will be some little holes of free time in the dense schedule. :)

Now, let me explain why I do not want to compete with anyone here. Roguebantha is a good friend, and I admire his work. We have different approaches, however. Designs of the same model may be more detailed for one of us regarding a specific model, and may be more detailed for the other one of us for another model. This depends on the scale we choose to build a certain vessel, which furthermore depends on our building approach.

I can't explain it any better, but in general, I do not feel like competeing with other builders. We are not opponents here. We build because we have fun with it. It's relaxing after a busy week. I do not need additional stress while competing with others. Whenever I see other mini creations (like Dunechaser's Battlestar Galactica hangar or Roguebantha's AT-TE with dropship) I am highly delicted, not quarrelsome.

A competition of that kind could lead to jealousy and disregard, which would be the least favourable outcome for me. We build for ourselves and like sharing with the community, with you all.

All the best,

~ Chris
Legostein

Postby Iare Tosevite » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:27 pm

You're so good I though it was new offical mini sets!

Aw. :'(

Anyway your sets are so good! :D
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby Blackninjatom » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:10 pm

We are not opponents here. We build because we have fun with it. It's relaxing after a busy week. I do not need additional stress while competing with others. Whenever I see other mini creations (like Dunechaser's Battlestar Galactica hangar or Roguebantha's AT-TE with dropship) I am highly delicted, not quarrelsome.

Well said. You build in different scales, and in order for a competition to have a "winner" there would have to be a "loser," which simply can not be allowed. Again both your minis are spectacular and a pleasure to look at.
Blackninjatom

Postby Veers » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:25 am

Your gunship is one of the best I've seen so far. It's quite small, but it has bulk in all the right places. Very nice work on all of them!
Bureacracy: You have two cows. The government says what and when you can feed them. You are paid not to, and the government takes your cows, shoots one and milks the other dry. You have to fill out forms accounting for missing cows.
Veers

Postby liquidcross » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:13 am

Legostein wrote:A competition of that kind could lead to jealousy and disregard, which would be the least favourable outcome for me. We build for ourselves and like sharing with the community, with you all.

Fine, fine. We'll just have a steel cage match, then. Instead of jealousy and disregard, we'll skip straight to pain and suffering! :lol:

Oh, I forgot to mention earlier: thanks for posting the instructions to your new models! I really need to build that gunship. How well do the clips stay on?
Last edited by liquidcross on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
liquidcross

Postby Rook » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:02 am

Excellent work. I've been planning on doing a minifig scale of the Trident for some time now.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby roguebantha » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:39 am

I agree with Chris here, we're all in together not against each other XD
(Unless there is ever a mini contest here of course :O )
I'm constantly impressed and amazed by some of Chris's solutions, and they're a constant source of inspiration to me. As are all the other great mini (and other scale) builders here, so go build some more!
roguebantha

Postby Teekay » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:08 am

These minis are awesome! My breath was especially taken away by the Gunship. It so detailed.

~Sam (Teekay)
I don't know why I dropped back here again lately. LEGO can no longer hold my interest, and I'm almost certainly gone forever. Bye to all who remember me.
Teekay

Location: Haven't been on in nearly a year. Probably gone forever. Nostalgia brought me back one last time.

Next

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase