Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Front Page Getting Less and Less Relevant

We are always interested in improving our community. Got an idea? Let us hear it!

Front Page Getting Less and Less Relevant

Postby Robzula » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:45 pm

What's with all these weird things getting put on the front page? First the MOC showcase. I get this is a LEGO fansite and a huge part of the hobby is building your own creations, but making it front page news is kind of an odd thing, but it was acceptable. Then the animated short with narration by Jake Jillllllenhaul (sp?). At least it has to deal with LEGO but I don't think it's anywhere near frontpage newsworthy. Finally this random comic Ace happened to find. That really didn't need to be on the frontpage and not just a thread in the BCS (like Darths and Droids, an infinitely better and more topic comic did in the Star Wars forum).

What makes all this worse is that meanwhile LEGO released the VIP Program for Shop @ Home AND there was a double points special. What gives, staff guys?
Robzula
Staff Writer

Re: Front Page Getting Less and Less Relevant

Postby Solo » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:57 pm

I was good and ready to defend the stuff we post to the mainpage... then I saw the Foxtrot comic from 2009. :facepalm:

First off, what do you want to see on the mainpage? What is relevant and what isn't? I'm not being rhetorical or only asking you specifically... I'm curious what everyone around here wants to see posted. Without input you'll just get more of the same. But MOC Showcase? Really? It's just getting started, give it a chance.

Also, for things like the VIP double points deal we missed, there's a Contact Us page specifically designed so anyone can recommend things to post - although the link to it isn't very prominent despite being on every page.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby doodlebird » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:27 pm

well don, since you asked...

my favorite part of the front page is News about Sales.
i know these can be found deeper in the forums,
but this is the interwebs!
i want my info instant-tastically.
please don't make me work for it.
:)

...notices about upcoming sets or events are nice too.

around the holidays,
i saved a ton of $ on amazons gold box deals -
all of which i learned about here.
and i spent all the $ i saved on more LEGO of course.

foxtrot....
uh yeah.
i smiled, but this might not be the place?
i dunno...
certainly not breaking news.
doodlebird

Postby onions » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:33 pm

foxtrot, i'll give you that. things are slow, sue me. i was going through the foxtrot archives and that it was pretty funny so i thought i'd share. but moc showcase and the LEGO PRINCE OF PERSIA video? if you are blind and don't see how they are relevant and can benefit the community, then i certainly can't force you to open your eyes.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Robzula » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:27 pm

I mentioned the MOC Showcase being the least of the evils, and maybe as it grows a little more I'll appreciate it more, and I did note that at least the animation had to deal with LEGO. My main point was that these were going up instead of the VIP program and double points news. There have been tons of animated shorts, even official ones, that end up just getting a thread, and I didn't see why this particular one deserved frontpage news while the VIP program was being launched online.

I don't mean to be overly critical or say you're wrong, I'd just like to hear you're reasoning behind it because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:20 am

I never even look at the front page any more. This isn't any kind of condemnation of it. I just come straight to the forums, because I found that whatever is on the main page has a thread here anyway. I just check unread posts.
Mister Ed

Postby Jabba the Taff » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:02 am

I like the mix of stuff on the front page. I think you get it just about right. Yeah, it's US-centric but that's to be expected. And as for other licenses; it seems that virtually all of us are interested in at least one of the other licenses and they're a natural extension.
Jabba the Taff

Postby possum » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:26 pm

I've always thought FoxTrot was one of the funnier strips out there. I appreciated it. I'll go back to New Guy Corner now. :)
Disclosure of location should be required when listing your finds!
possum

Postby that guy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:57 pm

For me, and yes I'm a relative newbie here, but I have a job, a family, and countless other things to do in a day so I only scan the front page for updates, I leave a comment here or there on the current topics, and I move on. Sure I think some of it's needless. I don't always care about some guys MOC rendition of this or that, and he may not care that something goes on sale like I do. But in the grand scheme of things, we are talking about little colored plastic brick building blocks right? In the end, it seems there's something for everyone on the homepage so can't we take it all for what it is, have fun and move on??
that guy

Postby Diaaabo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:21 am

More European promotions (and I know there are a lot less than overseas), more MOCs and reviews aside from the usual promotions and the news about new sets. My 2cents.

PS: I liked the Foxtrot thingy XD
Diaaabo

Postby Iare Tosevite » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:14 pm

Only thing I don't like about frontpage is fairly slow news.

Otherwise do what you guys like. I like it.
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby Solo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:41 pm

What do you mean exactly - slow as in not enough news to post, or we're slow to post what news there is?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Iare Tosevite » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:36 pm

Kinda both. :) Mostly not enough news.
Iare Tosevite

Postby theJudeAbides » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:24 pm

To be honest, guys, I'm glad you're posting stuff to the main page. If news is slow and there isn't much to add, I don't mind you adding a little fluff here and there.

I remember back on the old forums when I first joined, there was very often NOTHING on the front page. So yes, post LEGO Star Wars stuff, LEGO stuff, Star Wars stuff, and stuff vaguely relating to Star Wars, LEGO, or other themes. I'd rather have that than nothing at all. Sales and deals, new set news, and new reviews are all things "relevant" to my interests, and they're not the only things. Keep doing what you're doing, because you're doing it well.

I realize some of you are new around here and don't remember the old forums, but trust me, the main page as it is now is VASTLY superior to the main page of old.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Iare Tosevite » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:45 am

Exactly. We had to walk miles uphill in snow both ways to use IBM XT to browse old fbtb site too.
Iare Tosevite

Postby banthafodder » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:51 pm

Myself, I don't mind different things on the front page. There are times when I've come to the site and have seen nothing new on the front page for weeks at a time and wondered if anyone was monitoring it. Personally I don't mind the oddity here or there.
banthafodder

Return to Suggestions