Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[NEW STUFF] News about the minifig collection

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

[NEW STUFF] News about the minifig collection

Postby Daz Hoo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:55 am

Here is what Patrick Bégin, LEGO Ambassador, wrote on the forums of QuéLUG:
(translation by yours trully)

Patrick Bégin, LEGO Ambassador wrote:I have just learned that the secondary bar codes on the minifig packs will no longer appear on the bags... starting from the third series...

So, if you read this statement correctly, there are two news in that little sentence:

1- LEGO will remove the secondary bar codes from the bags of the minifig collection
2- LEGO will do a third series of those minifigs
Daz Hoo

Re: [NEW STUFF] News about the minifig collection

Postby vynsane » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:08 am

I want that to be a good thing, but you know it's only going to make MORE people buy an entire case when they can.

Good news on series 3 being a go, though.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:57 am

And of course this confirms that series 2 WILL have the codes on them. :)
Mister Ed

Postby infallible » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:38 am

Ugh. Blind-boxed figures bite. But I guess you can't argue with results; this will cause more sales of entire cases.
infallible

Postby meeotch » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:48 am

Well, yes and no. I completely understand why LEGO is doing this, but my prediction is there will also be a larger rash of people opening the packages in the aisles.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Andi » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:03 am

I wonder if Series 2 and 3 will also be guaranteed to be completely in one case.
Right now, with Series 1, you can be sure to get all 16 at least twice if you buy a full case.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Daz Hoo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:46 am

My information suggest that series 2 will be just like series 1, that is, you get secondary bar codes, and cases are going to feature at least one of each minifig.

For series 3, well, it's anybody's guess. I personally always thought that the secondary bar codes were there to ensure that each case had an (almost) equal amount of each minifig in it. But with the bar codes gone, does that mean the cases will be filled randomly? Will LEGO try a different method to identify each minifig instead? Who knows...
Daz Hoo

Postby meeotch » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:54 am

I wonder if there is enough of a weight difference between the different figs that it would be identifiable by a scale no more accurate than a food scale?
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:05 am

The thing is, unless they can actually make these widely, and easily, available (and to be fair, maybe that WILL happen eventually with series one) then making them blind is just obnoxious. To my way of thinking, making them blind is a way to encourage people to buy more so they can get a set (or at least the ones they want), but if they aren't actually AVAILABLE for people to buy them except in limited quatities, then making them blind ends up just being a way of making it more likely that the few you CAN acquire won't include all the ones you want- and you won't have a CHANCE to buy more in hopes of getting them. LEGO presumably WANTS you to try to get the ones you want. Making them blind is, I would think, just a way of making you buy a few more on the way to that goal. But if the supply is so scarce that people CAN'T get the ones they want, then making them blind simply exacerbates the situation, and frustrates potential customers, driving them away. I know I'm approaching that point.
Mister Ed

Postby Solo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:18 am

Thanks for posting this Daz, here's the insight I can share (mirrored on the mainpage as well, good suggestion ;))
New Info on Future Collectible Minifigs Series Waves
Steve Witt posted some interesting news to the Ambassadors about the yet to be revealed future wave(s) of minifigure packs. First of all, many retailers did not expect the first wave to be anywhere near as popular as they turned out, so expect future waves to have a wider distribution as a result. Secondly, and this is sure to vex a number of already displeased fans, the identifying barcodes on the bags are out: after wave 2 don’t expect that trick to work anymore. The whole gimmick to these was supposed to be buying a mystery figure, so it’s no surprise to me that the not-so-secret code wasn’t part of the initial plan and is now headed for the guillotine.

As for future assortments? You’re just going to have to wait to find out! You’re welcome to join in the speculationthough.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:26 am

What "many retailers" are they referring to? As near as I can determine, the only one around here has been TRU. Sounds like that's the case in a LOT of places, so far.

Wider distribution sounds good, though.

Hopefully the popularity won't lead to an immediate price jack on LEGO's end for all subsequent series. I wouldn't be surprised, though.
Mister Ed

Postby JamesBenjamin » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:34 am

Well, I ordered a case from an online toy retailer and they still have no idea if/when they're getting their supply in! So I haven't bothered going to stores at all. If Lego can't get them out to retailers (in this case one of the two BIG toy websites) then I guess I'm just totally screwed.
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby atxdad » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:38 am

I can see how one reaction to blind packaging might be to buy more, but regretably my response will be to buy zero off the shelf. I won't risk spending lots of money on lottery pulls looking for the few figures I want.

I'll probably wait until they saturate bricklink or ebay and consider buying a few there, though likely at a premium, resentful of LEGO that I have to pay more for them and buying fewer overall because of it. I see this move as only decreasing sales and goodwill among their base.
atxdad

Postby onions » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:53 am

i for one welcome our new insect overlords i mean welcome the changes. and this doesn't necessarily mean that there will be opened packages. lots of people don't know about the bar code trick and just grab a few to buy.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby vynsane » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:02 pm

Mister Ed wrote:What "many retailers" are they referring to?

I think they're referring more to the many retailers who didn't even take a chance on series 1 thinking it to be a major gamble, more than the retailers who actually took the risk and are reaping the rewards. I feel that series 2 and beyond will see much more widespread availability as other companies take notice.

vynsane

Postby Draykov » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:50 pm

onions wrote:i for one welcome our new insect overlords...

:lol: Relevant Simpsons reference FTW.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Jabba the Taff » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:40 pm

Yeah, this works for the target audience of kids, they'll be able to swap figures anyway. I have no one to swap with. I wonder how many kids were using the barcode method. I started out buying a few randoms but when I got three cowboys out of five I gave up that idea.
Like someone above, I'll probably wait to pay a bit extra for single figures but save overall through buying less.
Jabba the Taff

Postby GrayMattR » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:21 pm

I agree that this guarantees that more people will be buying whole cases leaving none for the rest. That's a shame. I thought they learned their lesson with the chrome stormies and the furor of people buying them all at once.

We'll just have to devise new ways to determine which minifig is in the bag for future waves.
GrayMattR

Postby vynsane » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:35 pm

GrayMattR wrote:We'll just have to devise new ways to determine which minifig is in the bag for future waves.

I'm honing my X-Ray Specs right now ;)

vynsane

Postby drdavewatford » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:43 pm

Fundamentally, these figs were never supposed to be for us AFOLs - they were for kids who could buy random packs and swap duplicates at school, with friends etc.. I suspect that if there ARE any kids who are buying these (!) that's probably exactly what they're doing, so LEGO removing the bar codes is directed at you and I - just plain mean and designed to try force us AFOLS to spend money on stuff we really don't want (i.e. duplicate figs) and can't easily swap. Dear oh dear, LEGO - you've sold a lot more of these figs than you expected, so why penalise those who have made series 1 a success ?! Just another reminder that under the touchy feely exterior there's a ruthless machine looking to squeeze every penny they can out of us, and the removal of the minifig barcodes is testament to this.....
Love Lego ? Visit my blog at http://www.gimmelego.blogspot.com
drdavewatford

Next

Return to Original Themes