Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Posts Appearing Randomly?

We are always interested in improving our community. Got an idea? Let us hear it!

Posts Appearing Randomly?

Postby The Brain » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:47 pm

I don't really quite know how to put this, but I've been noticing something peculiar with the forums lately.

When I log in, I tend to read through every new post in each forum (I'm just like that). I'll make sure to click back to the board index once I've read through everything, just to see if anything new has popped up for me to read. If there isn't, I log out, and usually sign back in awhile later. I've noticed, however, than upon later log-ins, I've read through threads with new posts, but also found posts that were not in the thread the last time I looked through, but have been marked as unread. I know it's not something as simple as "you must not have read clearly enough" or "did you click all topics/forums read?", because I've been rather meticulous about this (those two questions were my original thoughts anyway). I guess my question is, has anyone else noticed this? It's not really an issue for me since I just have to read a few posts back, but it has confused me on a couple of occasions.

Thanks all.

The Brain
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Re: Posts Appearing Randomly?

Postby Kav'ryn » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:04 pm

For me, my posts pop up with a 'your post must be approved by a moderator before being posted' message. I think it's because I'm new; in any case, my posts show up some hours later, where I posted them, regardless of who's posted since.
Kav'ryn

Postby Solo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:07 pm

Must be ghosts.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Solo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:14 pm

OK, I asked the ghosts, and they said I was lying. Kav'ryn is right then. The post moderation system we've been using lately requires a staff member to approve some posts before they're visible, but they still exist in the thread at the correct time of the posting. Lets say you post, Kav posts, and I post all in order as seen above. If Kav's post required approval, you won't see it until someone approves it. You might read the thread before a staffer gets there, wouldn't see it, and move on... but then come back later after it's been approved and it'll be there right in the thick of things. Make sense?

I apologize for the distress this confusion it may have caused you.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby The Brain » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:14 pm

Haha, no distress at all, and yes, it makes perfect sense.

One source of confusion now however is that my posts never appear with the "awaiting moderator approval" message (though I guess I've been a member long enough, so that makes sense...) but one the posts that caught my eye was something you posted Don--and you're certainly not new around these parts. I know I had not read your post in whichever thread I was reading, and I was simply surprised that it wasn't marked as new. Again, it's not really an issue for me, I was just curious. Thanks for the answer though.
The Brain

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:12 am

yea, on the "recent posts" section of the front page, the links sometimes don't work.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby Draykov » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:12 pm

Solo wrote: I apologize for the distress this confusion it may have caused you.

Beats having to lay eyes on some of the nonsense that we've spared the poor bastards, so I call it a push.

The Brain wrote:but one the posts that caught my eye was something you posted Don--and you're certainly not new around these parts.

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but just chalk it up to dark magix occasionally invoked by Don and other admins.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby The Brain » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:26 pm

I'll go with the magic explanation. ;) Thanks guys.
The Brain

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Sorry, it was the 'Recent Topics' section. It probably has nothing to do with this, but I thought I'd put it out there.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Return to Suggestions