Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

I Must Have This Pizza Planet Pickup

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

I Must Have This Pizza Planet Pickup

Postby Staff » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:24 pm

As you may or may not know, Bricks by the Bay (northern California's first LEGO convention) was held last weekend, and I was lucky enough to attend. Unfortunately I did not plan my trip well and didn't take too many pictures, but I wanted to share with you may favorite upcoming set of this year that The LEGO Group decided to bring along and have on display for the fans: #7598 - Pizza Planet Truck Rescue

Must have. (by Don Solo)

It will be an exclusive set, which I'm assuming means it will only be available on LEGO Shop at Home and in Toys R Us, and the price point will be $40 if I overheard correctly. I apologize for not having more solid information to share... I was busy playing with it. That does seem a bit high for a set with only 225 parts, but it has a lot of large slopes and windscreens, plus four of the special Toy Story minifig: Hamm (not shown in my picture, but he's part of the set), Rex, Buzz, and one LGM.  The hood, doors, and camper shell roof all open and you can fit everyone inside. Oh, and it shoots pizzas out of the front. How cool is that?

Maybe it's just me because my first job was delivering pizzas in an old Toyota pickup, maybe it's because of the a commonly known running gag to include the iconic "Delivery Shuttle" as an Easter egg in every Pixar movie, or maybe it's because this is just a really fun and well designed set... whatever the reason, I am buying this the first chance I get. I don't remember the last official set I've been this excited about.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2010/04/14/i-must-have-this-pizza-planet-pickup/
Staff

Re: I Must Have This Pizza Planet Pickup

Postby Solo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:35 pm

Some more pictures of the set gathered from Flickr:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:55 pm

So, there might be other sets coming out this year that we don't know about yet?
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby Solo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:00 pm

That's generally how not knowing about things works, yeah.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby KarolRabalski » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:06 pm

Hahahaha this is awesome! :lol: :D
----like spinning plates---------
KarolRabalski

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:13 pm

Hopefully we'll get a TIE bomber :D
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby Diaaabo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:19 pm

How does the pizza shooting mechanism works?
Diaaabo

Postby KarolRabalski » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:26 pm

Diaaabo wrote:How does the pizza shooting mechanism works?

Do you remember those shooters from the Exo-Force sets? I think the LEGO pizzas could fit in something like that...
----like spinning plates---------
KarolRabalski

Postby Solo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:02 pm

You load the pizzas in the engine as seen here and then you pull back on the trailer hitch ball as seen here. There's a long sliding mechanism that goes up the core of the truck, brick built, and powered by a rubber band. Let go and the pizzas are launched out the front grill. Unless you build it wrong... then they fall out the bottom when you pull the thing back. ;)
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Puddleglum » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:41 pm

Solo wrote:That's generally how not knowing about things works, yeah.

LOL
Solo wrote:You load the pizzas in the engine as seen here and then you pull back on the trailer hitch ball as seen here. There's a long sliding mechanism that goes up the core of the truck, brick built, and powered by a rubber band. Let go and the pizzas are launched out the front grill. Unless you build it wrong... then they fall out the bottom when you pull the thing back.

OMG best play feature since the dynamite launcher in Boulder Blaster!!
Im in ur flickr
Puddleglum

Postby voltio » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:39 pm

Parts/price ratio should not apply to a beautiful vehicle like this. Just look at that amazing SNOT near the rear bumper, or at the brick-built headlights, or the roof-mounted rocketship; details like these are priceless. There hasn't been a nicer Lego Toyota since Stanley-Efu's FJ Cruiser (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2960993). Honestly, Pure gold. :D

And for those who insist on putting a price on perfection, I'm sure some sellers will offer de-minifigured versions of this truck at a substantial discount, anyway.
voltio

Postby GrayMattR » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:54 pm

$40 for 255 pieces is a high price but given all the windshields and new figs, it's worth it. I really like the size of the truck. Nice and big.
GrayMattR

Postby GIR3691 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:28 pm

I'm not interested because it's not System scale, but after seeing this, I now must build a Pizza Planet truck for my city display. o_o
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Draykov » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:45 am

Solo wrote:You load the pizzas in the engine...

Gottlieb Daimler is rolling over in his grave.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Legopino » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:33 am

This set looks pretty nice! I can't wait to see more pictures of Ham.
Legopino

Postby Firespray » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:11 pm

God I hope I can gather up enough cash to buy this when it comes out.
Firespray

Postby theJudeAbides » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:35 am

[quote=staff]Oh, and it shoots pizzas out of the front. How cool is that?

Yo, Solo, I'm really happy that you like you're new pizza-throwing LEGO toy, and Imma let you finish. But the Ninja Turtles had one of the greatest pizza-shooting toys of all time. OF ALL TIME!

Seriously, I used to have this toy (still do, although it's packed away somewhere), and it was awesome (and it actually threw the pizzas out at the speed depicted in the commercial). I have to ask: what kind of speed do those pizzas get as the exit the chute? Is it enough for them to travel well over a foot, or is it just some lame flick-fire deal that just limps out?
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Solo » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:16 pm

I'm not sure. Whoever built the display model built it wrong, or I wasn't doing it right, because they just fell out the bottom when I tried. :(
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby meeotch » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:00 pm

@Jude: It's funny that the same thing was being talked about in that DJ Ruth thread, but I doubt toys can be made as "dangerous" as that Pizza Thrower was. "It's all fun and games until someone puts their eye out."
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby hatcher » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:59 am

theJudeAbides wrote:Yo, Solo, I'm really happy that you like you're new pizza-throwing LEGO toy, and Imma let you finish. But the Ninja Turtles had one of the greatest pizza-shooting toys of all time. OF ALL TIME!

Jude, you rock. Hilarious. And I thought we'd gotten all the mileage out of that joke that we could. Well done.

I remember that pizza shooting truck. I also remember all the toys I had as a kid that would never get into the stores today due to all the things they shot, or the sharp edges they had, or the excessively violent theme, or could be swallowed, or were made of lead, etc, etc etc.

I sometimes wonder how I survived my childhood. :)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Next

Return to Licensed Themes