Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Farewell

Discussion about front-page features and commentary from FBTB.net. Only forum staff can start topics here, but anyone can reply!

Farewell

Postby Staff » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:48 pm

It's time for me to step down.

I've taken a long, hard look at my life and the direction it's been going. With a baby three and a half months old, and another on the way I came to the realization that sooner or later, something's gonna give. And rather repeat the mistakes of my past, where my presence on the site was non-existent, I decided to be a little more proactive and step down from the duties as Editor in Chief of From Bricks To Bothans. This was not an easy decision to make. I've been wrestling with this issue for quite some time, ever since Leia was born to be exact. I'm sure my wife is sick of hearing me hem and haw about what to do. She's been my rock far longer than I can remember; she's encouraged me to keep the site and keep working on it but realistically that's difficult to do now, and when the next baby comes, it's going to be impossible.

I've spoken with the other administrators of the site, Nick, Don, and Ryan, and they all have their own issues and cannot shoulder the responsibility of taking over. Nick has a new house and I'm guessing will probably want to start a new family. Don's still waiting for his mail order bride to ship from Russia. I'm totally kidding, he's coming from Thailand. Okay, seriously, he's facing possible unemployment and is looking for a job while working on his own house. Ryan has Carter and Connor, and last I know is working on his third kid. I've always said to my team that from day one their personal lives take priority and to work on the site when they have some down time. Truth of the matter is, with everyone's life headed in their respective directions, no one has time anymore. And to be honest with you, there is no one else I can trust to take over the site. I've been involved since the beginning, and it's been my baby since... gosh, maybe 2002 or so, maybe earlier. I'm not comfortable just handing it over to just anybody. It's been a good run.

And just to set the record straight, this decision has nothing to do with the license possibly expiring in 2011. Even though no official announcement has been made, I'm willing to bet naming rights to my second kid that it will be extended for a few years more.

So what's going to happen now? The domain has been sold to Andrew Becraft of The Brothers Brick. Despite our respective sites competing nature, he and I are great friends and I sought his advice on what to do. After much discussion, I've decided to sell the domain to Andrew. FBTB.net will either mirror TBB's current site or forward a user directly. Nothing will change for at least a month. As part of the deal, I've taken a staff position with his site as a contributing writer. My experience, technical skills, and industry contacts will still benefit the LEGO AFOL community as a whole, just in a different capacity. I feel much more comfortable being a writer, as I can contribute when I can and not feel the pressure of keeping a site running.

The current sarlacc Model contest will be this site's final hurrah, so to everyone who's put the time and effort into entering, the contest will still go on.

I'm shutting down the forums. All forums and topics will be locked and preserved for posterity. I'll leave the contest thread and one new forum open with this farewell message so you can post your thoughts and reactions and any questions. The chat room will eventually go away as well, just not sure when.

I'm all out of things to say. I hope that you can understand that this was not an easy decision, probably the most difficult one I've ever had to make. I'm still a little unsure if this is the best thing to do, but given what's ahead in my life, I can only do what I think is right. To everyone who has supported this site, been a friend or foe to FBTB, to everyone I've ever met, there is nothing more I can say other than thank you. It is not enough to say just those two words, but nothing else I can say will ever come close to the appreciation I feel. From the bottom of my heart, Thank You.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2010/04/01/farewell/
Staff

Re: Farewell

Postby Nannan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:56 pm

I will miss FBTB :'(
Nannan

Postby JuanBlase » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:57 pm

I dont post here much but I weep at the fact that this may be true.
Please for the love of god let this be an april fools joke.
If not, I am sorry, and wish everyone associated with this site the best in life.
JuanBlase

Postby Chief » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:02 pm

/me salutes
Chief

Postby BlueDragonZ » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:10 pm

This is sad :( ... I hope brothers bricks will take good care of fbtb.
Don't give up the fight yet Ace, Toys N Bricks will continue to support you!
Last edited by BlueDragonZ on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueDragonZ

Postby Firespray » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:12 pm

:'(
Firespray

Postby Robzula » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:25 pm

See you, brah
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:43 pm

Well it's about damnn time!
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby Jargon » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:49 pm

Too soon!
Jargon

Postby meeotch » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:58 pm

How about we switch to an all Power Miners theme? That should save the site.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby theJudeAbides » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:06 pm

I have to say, I did not see this coming, and it comes a quite a shock. You guys have always been my "LEGO family," dysfunctional as it may be. And, although we don't always agree, we all keep coming back anyways. I hate to see us scattered into the wind.

To be honest, I'm not sure where I'll go to from here, as this is the only LEGO site I'm actually a member of. Where else is there that has such thoughtful LEGO and Star Wars discussions? CABG? More like GARBG. Eurobricks? More like Euro-Pricks. The Brothers Brick? More like The Brothers Ick. Classic Space? More like Classic Space-Cases. No other community that I've seen is quite as unique as we are here.

So let's raise our glasses and toast the times we've had. You guys had a good run, and along the way you touched a lot of people's lives. That's something you'll always have, and you should be proud of what you've done here.
Note: I'm actually 99.99% certain this is an April Fools prank, but rather than be a spoilsport (especially this early on), I decided to play along and have some fun. I will admit that you had me going for a short time until I realized the date (I logged in just after midnight, so I wasn't in "April Fool's Mode" yet). Well played, guys.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby theJudeAbides » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:11 pm

meeotch wrote:How about we switch to an all Power Miners theme? That should save the site.

I don't think you understand, meeotch. This isn't about the site's popularity (which is/was quite strong). It's about lives changing and people moving on. I'm as sad about it as anyone here, but sometimes our lives catch up with us and force us to re-evaluate our priorities. I may not like the fact that the site is closing, but I can definately respect Ace's decision to choose his family over other concerns. There's a lot of parents out there today who wouldn't be willing to make such a sacrifice, so it's nice to see one who is.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby brownie69yov4 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:26 pm

Suckered\

br()wnie
Last edited by brownie69yov4 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
brownie69yov4

Postby MrCRskater » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:49 pm

To echo Jude's sentiments, 'tis true that this has been a unique community for AFOL's, TFOL's, and all sorts of FOL's to indulge in their favorite hobby. From my perspective, FBTB has also been the greatest resource for new stuff. It's what brought me on board and has helped to keep me here. No other site offers the same resources and vibe, and for that FBTB shall be sorely missed.

On another note, this all seems a bit abrupt (though not to say it has not been seriously deliberated). If the "Suggestions" forum were still open I would post this there, but may I suggest a more elegant solution here, such as a more methodical "phase-out" rather than an immediate cut-off? Some things are hard to quit cold turkey. . .
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby RfAurora » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:04 am

I've had good times since I came was referred to FBTB by a LEGO rep back in 07 or 08, and as the first forum I've ever had real fun on, Ill say that I will miss all of the Head Honchos around here. I may not have posted alot on the new site, but when I was active on the old site, I've butted heads with you when I've posted mocs of ships, and it was refreshing. I was hoping to post a new project when I get it done, and if I go to TBB, hopefully you'll enjoy them. Thanks for the memories, and So Long and Thanks for all the Fish.
RfAurora

Postby zithy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:49 am

LOLzers :)
zithy

Postby onions » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:54 am

MrCRskater wrote:On another note, this all seems a bit abrupt (though not to say it has not been seriously deliberated). If the "Suggestions" forum were still open I would post this there, but may I suggest a more elegant solution here, such as a more methodical "phase-out" rather than an immediate cut-off? Some things are hard to quit cold turkey. . .

The thing is, it isn't abrupt. I've been wrestling with this issue for a few months now. and the forums will still be around while i get the contest under wraps. someone suggested that i at least keep bcs running, but honestly if i don't make a clean break, i'll never be able to let go.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Jabba the Taff » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:00 am

Well, hopefully this'll be an opportunity to focus on the truly classic years of juniorized Lego.

I like big BURPS and I cannot lie!!
Jabba the Taff

Postby Ton65 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:23 am

Well, it looks like it's Aprils Foolsday again.
Ton65

Postby Green Dewback » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:05 am

I read this on TBB and came over FBTB to confirm it.
Really got me fooled, was about to post some emo comments here until the comments mentioned April Fools.
Green Dewback

Next

Return to Community Features