Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[sarlacc] Neimoidian Gundark Wing

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[sarlacc] Neimoidian Gundark Wing

Postby theJudeAbides » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:25 am

When I heard about the new contest and realized I actually had the set in question, I immediately went and grabbed it, dissassembled it, and started building. After several hours of building, I arrived upon this little beauty:

ImageImageImage

About the MOC:
Made entirely from pieces found in the set 8036 Separatist Shuttle.
The "windscreen" made from droid arms opens to reveal the pilot. Unfortunately, since the set contains no computer panels or levers for the cockpit, so neither does mine.
The wings can be adjusted to a wide range of angles as demonstrated here, here, and here.

Story:
Following their crushing defeat at the end of the clone wars, the Neimoidians were forced to re-evaluate their entire military complex (which had largely been dismantled following the war). In need of new planetary defenses, the Neimoidians looked to the victors for inspiration and realized the flawed logic in their strength-in-numbers strategy (having lost numerous battles despite having a numerical advantage). They also looked to the Gundark, a resilient space bird capable of adapting to any situation it encountered. The result was an expensive new craft that could be adjusted on-the-fly to meet the demands of the battle.
Only the best of the best pilots were allowed to even step foot in the craft, and the result was a strengthened defensive position to ward off the marauders capitalizing on their defeat. Their enemies quickly learned that although the Neimoidians were but a shadow of their former selves, they still were a force to be reckoned with.

Final Thoughts:
I posted this here before the official thread to get feedback and thoughts. That way, I can still make changes to perfect it before final submittal. Let me know what you think.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Re: [sarlacc] Neimoidian Gundark Wing

Postby onions » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:36 am

Hey jude,

just to let you know, i clarified the rules. an additional windscreen is a requirement now. sorry if that wasn't made clear before.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby theJudeAbides » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:45 am

Well, I was a little frustrated at first because I didn't think there were any windscreens that would work and that I'd have to make significant changes to the MOC. But, I got out my windscreens and lo and behold I found one that works quite well. It's not perfect (there's a little space around it) but still think it turned out well. In the end, I do still like my old "windscreen" a bit better because you can imagine it filling the space rather than having a concrete one. Still, rules are rules and so I made the change:

(Picture is link to gallery)

Not as many pictures this time since the change is pretty minor.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby MrCRskater » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:54 pm

Hey Jude, I really dig this MOC, great work! The overall form is very unique and well-conceived. If this were just your everyday MOC, I'd say it's a little light on the details. But considering that this build was limited to the pieces from the Separatist Shuttle, I'd say that you included a fair amount of nice detail work. Nicely done!
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby knapplc » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:36 pm

I presume the resemblance to General Grievous was intentional? Very cool, TJA.
knapplc

Postby theJudeAbides » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:58 pm

Ummm, not really, but now that you mention it, I guess it does. I just set out to build as cool-looking of a fighter as I could manage.
theJudeAbides

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase